Onkyo HT-S5400 -- Yes or No ???

saurabh0073

Hi Experts,

I am looking to purchase Onkyo 5400 7.1 HT from Gurgaon. The price quoted by the dealer in MGF was Rs. 58000, although no negotiations have been done yet.

First I checked out the HT-S3400, but after listening to the HT-S5400 it sounded ****. Also 5400 has some great features over 3400 and rightly costs Double.

Within this price I have looked for several Home Theater in a BOX setups and trust me this one impressed me more than anything else.

I checked Out JAMO, Denon, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, JBL and even BOSE (which I do not prefer at all :p) and nothing impressed me more than HT-S5400 within this price range.

I do not mind MIX and Match of the AVR Units and Speakers.

I have not checked Wharfedale as of now however my only constraint is that I do not want Satellite or floor standing speakers (Only Wall mount).

Please suggest me some good options. My Budget extends upto 60K and want to extract the most out of it.

Earlier I was planning to get this imported from US as the price is almost 1/3, but I do not want any repercussions, as I have heard because of difference in power supply.

Also Onkyo does not has good reputation with Music and is said to be built only for Movies, however after playing my Iphone on the Ht-S5400 I was impressed with the quality.

Please Suggest......!!! Lots n Lots of Confusion

You can order denon 1912 for 400 euro from amazon.de , POLK RTI bookshelves, which totally should come to 45 to 50k ,later upgrade to 5.1 :)

or go for DIY speakers... which can settle you down within 60k :) for decent setup.

You can order denon 1912 for 400 euro from amazon.de , POLK RTI bookshelves, which totally should come to 45 to 50k ,later upgrade to 5.1 :)

or go for DIY speakers... which can settle you down within 60k :) for decent setup.

Also I know Denon 1912 has great reputation, and is available for 36k which gives me good space is budget to fill with some decent speakers.

Is Denon 1912 the Best in Class, what about comparing it with Pioneer VSX-1020-K or Onkyo TX-NR609.

But Again, Will They be able to beat the sound by 7.1 HT-S5400.

My main focus will be on playing Movies On my 40 Inch HDTV either using My Dell Laptop HDMI, Videocon D2h HD, or a crappy Onida Atom DVD player.

As far as the Music goes, I usually enjoy it on my Headphones

Last edited:
I think that the best would be to buy a Descent AVR from the likes of Denon/Onkyo/ or Yamaha and then buy yourself a pair of descent Bookshelf Speakers and as and when your budget permits again then add a subwoofer / center channel and pair of surround speakers. This way you will end up spending more but believe me you will enjoy this setup for a longer period and will give you satisfaction for the money spent.
HTIB is an option which is left to you if you don't want to do the above exercise and want to buy everything at one go.

I just did the Calculation again.

Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 will cost me around 56k including installation and everything.

And If I go by the Customized route, Here is what I will end up Buying.

Mind you, This would be a 5.1 instead of the HT-S5400 7.1

Rs 25000 AVR (Denon 1712)

Rs 28000 Tower Speaker (Polk Audio Tsi400)

Rs 15000 sub woofer (Polk Audio PSW110)

Rs 10000 Center Speaker (Polk Audi Cs10)

Rs 10000 Surround Speaker (Polk Audio OWM5)

Or something similar which comes around 85-90K.

Now I do not really want to spend that much, as my budget won't allow me to do so.

What do the experts suggest now???

Please help.

Last edited:
Go for POLK RTI series bookshelves/FS and denon 1912.

If you would like to have whole HT at one shot.

1. Get Decent AVR + DIY speakers (HT).
2. decent AVR + for speakers you should spend enough for good HT.
3. go for HT in a box like (ht5400) or denon 1912 + ETC 5.1

Last edited:
Go for POLK RTI series bookshelves/FS and denon 1912.

If you would like to have whole HT at one shot.

1. Get Decent AVR + DIY speakers (HT).
2. decent AVR + for speakers you should spend enough for good HT.
3. go for HT in a box like (ht5400) or denon 1912 + ETC 5.1
Also would you recommend Tsi 200, Rti A1 or Rti A3???

Given the prices are

16k, 17k and 24K respectively. I find Tsi200 Better, looking at the specs and size.. What's your take??

What about getting the Whole Set Imported as following

Denon 1912 from Amazon.de --- 29K

Speaker Set By Polk Audio from US

11K PSW110 -- SUB
6k CS10 --- Center Speaker
13K Tsi200 --- Bookshelf
4K OWM3 --- Surround
28K Tsi400 --- Floor Standers

This looks more Affordable. Also I plan to Purchase Tsi400 Floor Standers at a later stage; in future.

Last edited:
Hi AV Enthusiasts,

I have an Onkyo HTR590 Amp paired with SKF590 front speakers, The 7.1 experience is great. Just thinking if the performance can be enhanced by replacing SKF 590 front speakers with Yamaha Floor Standers NS8390. My primary usage is watching concert DVD & listening to music.

Thanx
SG

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back