I am new here - this is my first post.

Need some help / info.
Am looking for a good 2.1 HTIB.

Budget - Rs. 50K - 60K
Usage - 60% movies / 40% music
Looking for :
- Clarity (not loudness)
- Compact size

I currently have a Philips HTS6500/37 which I had bought in the US 3 years ago. Am quite happy with it. But just upgraded my TV (to a Samsung PS50B450), and looking for something better to go with it.

The system should :
- have a progressive scan DVD player
- have audio inputs for connecting other devices
- have a optical digital audio in (I have a WD TV media player which I need to connect)
- a iPod dock would be great

The only system which I have been able to find which meets my requirements is a Onkyo LS-V501
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

Does anyone on this forum have this product ?
What is yr experience with it ?

Found only a few reviews. Example :
Onkyo LS-V501 Universal DVD system Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews

I called the Onkyo showroom in Chennai. They said the price is Rs 49K.

What does the forum think. Is this a wise choice ?
Or are there better 2.1 or 5.1 systems out there for a similar budget, which are significantly better.

Am very interested in hearing yr views.

Welcome to HFV, what is your room size ?

I suggest that you go the separates route,

- a DVDP like Pioneer-610 (has PS and can upscale too, decent CD playing performance relative to budget), ~6,5k
- An AVR around 30k
- spend the rest of the budget on 2.0 Book shelves

As you mentioned compact size, consider QA 1020i for the fronts for now and you could get 1010i for the surrounds and a center later as and when budget permits. The key will be to listen to as many combinations as possible and then decide.

Tks Kumar.

My room is medium sized - Say 12 feet by 15 feet.

What receiver and speaker would you reccomend ?

Am honestly keen on a 2.1 HTIB with a built in DVD player. ie not separate DVD player and receiver.

Is there anything out there other than the Onkyo LS-V501 ?
Has anyone tried it out ?

Tks for your help.

I currently have a Philips HTS6500/37 which I had bought in the US 3 years ago. Am quite happy with it.

So why do you want to upgrade at all? What are you expecting in the future system?

But just upgraded my TV (to a Samsung PS50B450), and looking for something better to go with it.
This is not enough reason to go for a new audio system. Also I have not seen a 2.1 HTiB, only a 5.1 or more. Hold onto your money and spend wisely on something necessary like DVDs or CDs if its burnign a hole in your pocket.

So why do you want to upgrade at all? What are you expecting in the future system?

This is not enough reason to go for a new audio system. Also I have not seen a 2.1 HTiB, only a 5.1 or more. Hold onto your money and spend wisely on something necessary like DVDs or CDs if its burnign a hole in your pocket.

Why I want to upgrade :
- need an optical digital input (I have a WD HD TV)
- want better clarity / quality sound
- iPod integration

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back