Onkyo S3100 with Blu-ray Player

abmullick

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a blu-ray player and Onkyo home theater System S3100 to pair with my Full HD LCD TV. However the onkyo dealer is saying I would not be able experience the true HD quality sound and Picture since the S3100 doesn't support the HDMI input/output. Also it doesn't have the codec to decode the HD data transmitted by a blu-ray player or HD set-top box.

My idea was to connect LCD with the blu-ray player or the ST box directly through HDMI cable. Then connect the RAC/co-axial audio out port of blu-ray to Onkyo AV S3100 receiver. I understand that the Dolby true HD sound produced by BD player will not be available at the speakers. But shall I have to compromise in picture quality as well? The Onkyo dealer is saying I will have to pass-through the BD output via new S3300 which has video codec to decode the HD picture.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Abhisek

But shall I have to compromise in picture quality as well? The Onkyo dealer is saying I will have to pass-through the BD output via new S3300 which has video codec to decode the HD picture.

The dealer is not correct. You can connect a Blu-Ray player directly to a FullHD TV and get full 1080P signals. All FullHD TVs can 'decode' video by themselves.

You can also connect the player to the S3300 and get Dolby and DTS signals without HD audio.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back