Onkyo SKS-HT993THX

saranyan

I am looking to buy this 7.1 speaker system. I am not able to find a good review for it anywhere. Can someone please help with the review of this system?:)

I bought HT-S9700THX its a home theater package. Bought this after going for a few Demos.
I went to buy HT-S5805 but when I tested HT-S9700THX I went crazy. Bought it from Onkyo Showroom in Form Value Mall whitefield (Bangalore).
I am really impressed with this package. The speakers look beautiful and also sound great.
Woofer produces some really good Bass.
Tried a few BluRay movies with 7.1 channel audio and the experience was too good.
5.1 Channel Movies are no less and somehow we get sound from all channels.
You might need to change a few settings according to the room and your taste.
There are lot of listening modes, even if you are listening to MP3 songs there are plenty of options. I love "All Channel Stereo" when listening to music and Dolby Surround when watching movies with 5.1 or 7.1 Channel Audio.
I would suggest to go for the Package. I paid 105000 for the package (Speakers + Receiver). Paid some amount in Cash and Converted the Credit Card swipe to EMI.

Have you listened to it? If so, how did it sound for your typical source/content? Have you listened to other packages?

Trust your ears. You are the end user. Reviews are only a start to narrow down what to audition and what not to audition. If you are in audition mode, listen to as many speaker packages as possible (within a self set time limit).

Coming to claimed specs of the system listed by you.
L/C/R SPL is 79dB/W/m (50Hz upwards 6Ohm)
Surrounds SPL is 81dB/W/m (50Hz upwards 6Ohm)
Sub 125W 20Hz - 100Hz

On paper it tells me that the amp/AVR will have to work harder to make them shine; 3 reasons
- 6 Ohm impedance (USA site says 6 Ohm; India site says 8 Ohm ??)
- low sensitivity (many sat speakers have higher SPLs; larger volume cabinet should ideally have better sensitivity as they can accommodate ported design)
- narrow subwoofer freq range (anything above 100Hz is the responsibility of other speakers in turn the amp)

I may be completely wrong and the system might sound just fine with a matching AVR. Other FMs may have more info.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Thanks rahulpillai and raghu.

I havent listened to it yet. I already have Onkyo 737 Dolby Atmos a/v recevier and trying to find a good matching 5.1/7.1 speaker system.

I did have a demo of the Onkyo SKS-HT978THX which is a good 5.1 system. But i want to know if 993 is better.

Price Quoted in Chennai:
Onkyo SKS-HT978THX - 70k Rs (5.1 System)
Onkyo SKS-HT993THX - 80k Rs (7.1 System)

The speakers in the 2 systems are the same. Just an extra pair of surround rears to make it 7.1

Listen to them with your AVR if possible.
If you are not in a hurry to have all 6 or 8 speakers on day one, you can also consider buying them in batches to complete your system. Widens the choice and confusion :)
For 70-80K you can put together a decent speaker package on your own, if you have the patience.

Cheers,
Raghu

Dear,
I am also in a confusion for buying speaker set.
Interested in SKS HT 978.
Can any body suggest a better speaker set within the price tag.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I am looking to go for one of the following;
Onkyo SKS-HT993THX
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V
Which one is better. My prime concern is premium sound. I am a music buff and really confused which is better among the two when it comes to punchy bass and awesome highs... Plz help..Thanks

I bought HT-S9700THX its a home theater package. Bought this after going for a few Demos.
I went to buy HT-S5805 but when I tested HT-S9700THX I went crazy. Bought it from Onkyo Showroom in Form Value Mall whitefield (Bangalore).
I am really impressed with this package. The speakers look beautiful and also sound great.
Woofer produces some really good Bass.
Tried a few BluRay movies with 7.1 channel audio and the experience was too good.
5.1 Channel Movies are no less and somehow we get sound from all channels.
You might need to change a few settings according to the room and your taste.
There are lot of listening modes, even if you are listening to MP3 songs there are plenty of options. I love "All Channel Stereo" when listening to music and Dolby Surround when watching movies with 5.1 or 7.1 Channel Audio.
I would suggest to go for the Package. I paid 105000 for the package (Speakers + Receiver). Paid some amount in Cash and Converted the Credit Card swipe to EMI.

How's been the experience of S9700?
How is the subwoofer performance?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back