Onkyo TX NR 686 (110 V) Vs Yamaha RXV485 (220 V)

pulkittt

I am super confused between Onkyo TX NR 686 (110 V) & Yamaha RXV485 (220 V). Onkyo is much more advanced in terms of connectivity options but will require a step down converter. Is it OK to use step down? Any idea

Hi,

Thanks for replying:).

I will be using this for majorly using the chromecast (youtube, gaana, Netflix) and occasionally media(both video & audio) from my hard drive.

I am super confused between Onkyo TX NR 686 (110 V) & Yamaha RXV485 (220 V). Onkyo is much more advanced in terms of connectivity options but will require a step down converter. Is it OK to use step down? Any idea

Yes.. You will need a SDT to use any 110V goods..

Just to add, I need AVR for my Elac Debut B6.2. Needed one amongst above.

I will be using this for majorly using the chromecast (youtube, gaana, Netflix) and occasionally media(both video & audio) from my hard drive.

220V is a better unit as it saves you the hassles of buying SDT..

If i may ask, why are you considering a 110V AVR and 220V AVR ?.. Are you planning to get it from different countries ?..

Yes.. You will need a SDT to use any 110V goods..

220V is a better unit as it saves you the hassles of buying SDT..

If i may ask, why are you considering a 110V AVR and 220V AVR ?.. Are you planning to get it from different countries ?..

I have zeroed in on the maxina 1KVA. Okayish review. But a lil skeptical. Also, was reading on the forum that if we can do some parts in series or parallel then we don't need an external SDT. Wanted to check if anybody was successful in doing that :)

Was getting a good deal on 110V AVR from the US. While 220V AVR (the Yamaha) I was planning to buy in India. Both are coming in the same budget (110V including the SDT)

I have zeroed in on the maxina 1KVA. Okayish review. But a lil skeptical. Also, was reading on the forum that if we can do some parts in series or parallel then we don't need an external SDT. Wanted to check if anybody was successful in doing that :)

Was getting a good deal on 110V AVR from the US. While 220V AVR (the Yamaha) I was planning to buy in India. Both are coming in the same budget (110V including the SDT)

Prices for AVR in the US are very attractive.. I wouldn't recommend getting an Onkyo from abroad, especially 110V.. Just in case some issue with AVR, Onkyo India have a famed reputation of blindy refusing service for the unit, if not purchased from them.. You may have to plead the distribution authorities multiple times to at-least look into the issue.. forget fixing..

in that regard, you may settle for 220V unit.. You save lot of hassles..

I have a step down transformer for my subwoofer, which was bought along from the previous owner from a brand simran which is sold in Amazon. Com. The problem with it is, transformer always hums a bit. Its quite annoying when nothing is being played. Not sure if all step downs does the same.

Thanks a lot. It really helped. I will be going with Onkyo TX NR 686 with a Step Down Transformer (SDT) as the Onkyo one offers better connectivity options in terms of inputs. The 1KVA SDT that I plan to buy is decently silent (Maxine 1KVA). I will soon post about the sound quality and other observations vis-a-vis the SDT. Hope the Elacs do well with Onkyo.

And i was thinking of getting the elac b6.2 with the yamaha rxv485. Would love to hear your experience with the elacs!

I'm a happy user of a 110V AVR with a Maxine SDT. No humming sound and no issues for the last 2 years. AVRs are shockingly cheap when on sale on Amazon US. I bought mine for literally 50% off the local price...

Back