Onkyo TX-NR 818..Any one heard ????

elangoas

Hi All,

Onkyo states that High-End home theater range starts from TX-Nr 818 range...

TX-NR818 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

Specification seem pretty impressive...Though most of the features are redundant (Which i wouldn't use), 8 HDMI Inputs, 720W power consumption, Bi-amping facility, Pre-outs...:eek:hyeah:

Also the Signal-to-Noise Ratio 110 dB (Line, IHF-A)....this ratio starts from TX _NR 818 range and goes upwards all the way till TX-NR 5010...

Has any one heard it ? Your views

In india it costs a bomb... 95K:mad:...But in abroad Dubai/Singapore it retails for Approx 50 ~ 60K.

During Dubai shopping festival season this year, this receiver was listed in sharafdg for 45 ~ 50 K INR...Unbelievable...

Similarly in Singapore this one retails for around SGD $1,200...When i checked with one of my friends in Singapore, he told me that there might be price reduction during festival season..Not sure abt this..

Also the limit for brining any goods when u return to india has been raised to 50K from 25K..

Is this a good idea to get it from Dubai/Singapore without warranty ?

Is this a good idea to get it from Dubai/Singapore without warranty ?

It's a judicious call that you have to take. If it costs 50K-60K abroad, they will tax the part over 35K ( dont know the exact amount), but consider it to be approx. 40% of the value over 35K. So, considering 55K as an avg price, you'll pay about Rs. 8000 as customs duty (if you hand carry it - if you get it shipped, this 35K limit doesnt apply, the duty will be levied on the entire amount).

So 55+8 = 63K.

Here it costs 90K.

Difference is 27K.

"The call you have to take is - within the one or two years of warranty period, is this equipment liable to go faulty and incur an expenditure of over 27K?"

To cite my own example, I shipped a 616 from Dubai with a friend. Cost 26K. Duty free since it was below the limit. Here in India it costs 60K.

The difference was 35K - so I took a call and bought it.

3 weeks, at-least an hour of usage every day - no issues so far (touch wood!)

Its 35k now I think...not 50k. The limit of 50K is for gold.

Oh k..I thought for men the limit was raised up to 50K.. not sure if it was for gold..

Also for women, the limit i has been raised to 1 Lakh..I think this is for jewellery...Not for electronics :sad:

It's a judicious call that you have to take. If it costs 50K-60K abroad, they will tax the part over 35K ( dont know the exact amount), but consider it to be approx. 40% of the value over 35K. So, considering 55K as an avg price, you'll pay about Rs. 8000 as customs duty (if you hand carry it - if you get it shipped, this 35K limit doesnt apply, the duty will be levied on the entire amount).

So 55+8 = 63K.

Here it costs 90K.

Difference is 27K.

"The call you have to take is - within the one or two years of warranty period, is this equipment liable to go faulty and incur an expenditure of over 27K?"

To cite my own example, I shipped a 616 from Dubai with a friend. Cost 26K. Duty free since it was below the limit. Here in India it costs 60K.

The difference was 35K - so I took a call and bought it.

3 weeks, at-least an hour of usage every day - no issues so far (touch wood!)

You bought 616 for for 26K.. Thatz a cracking price....We can't even get the 313 for that price here :eek:hyeah: Congrats buddy...

BTW i checked the price of 616 in Singapore & it is S$ 900 approx 40K.:) may be further negotiation might bring down the price..

My friends works in singapore....Even if he brings this equipment as personal use..Do i need to pay customs duty ?

I had purchased NR818 from Amazon.de last year in July, when their shipping charges were just 40 Euros. Total cost paid was 62K (including shipping+customs).

You bought 616 for for 26K.. Thatz a cracking price....We can't even get the 313 for that price here :eek:hyeah: Congrats buddy...

:clapping:

BTW i checked the price of 616 in Singapore & it is S$ 900 approx 40K.:) may be further negotiation might bring down the price..

My friends works in singapore....Even if he brings this equipment as personal use..Do i need to pay customs duty ?

If it's hand carried, then the difference above the 35K threshold is liable for duty. If it's shipped through cargo, then the entire value is liable for duty.

I had purchased NR818 from Amazon.de last year in July, when their shipping charges were just 40 Euros. Total cost paid was 62K (including shipping+customs).

Great...So you saved atleast 30K compared to the price in India...Howz been your experience with 818 other than movies ? (Watching DTH/Playing music)

If it's hand carried, then the difference above the 35K threshold is liable for duty. If it's shipped through cargo, then the entire value is liable for duty.

Thanx again for the detailed answer buddy :)

Can you share your feedback on 818 ? How would you rate the stereo performance of the receiver... Specially in Pure Audio mode... I am already aware of Onkyo's HT capability :eek:hyeah:

Can you share your feedback on 818 ? How would you rate the stereo performance of the receiver... Specially in Pure Audio mode... I am already aware of Onkyo's HT capability :eek:hyeah:

I have the 809 and they are not very different from the 818's. Stereo Performance is very good and to my ears. I am compared it to 2 other AVR's Marantz 5006 and Denon 4311Ci . The 5006 was borrowed from a FM for a few days.
The 809 sounds way better than the Marantz 5006. Where I feel it scores over the 5006 is.
1. Power Delivery
2. Internal DAC
3. Instrument Separation.
4. Bass
5. Soundstage

the Marantz 5006 has better midrange

However the Onkyo is a little finicky when it comes to pairing. I feel they work better with silk dome tweeters / warmer speakers
With Aluminium tweeters . The HF do sound a little edgy/Shrill . The Marantz on the other hand does not have this problem.

I don't want to comment about the 809 vs the denon 4311, since they are in completely different price brackets.

--------------------------------------------------
From your signature I see you have Sonodynes ... I have never heard them . so cant really comment about pairing.

I have the 809 and they are not very different from the 818's. Stereo Performance is very good and to my ears. I am compared it to 2 other AVR's Marantz 5006 and Denon 4311Ci . The 5006 was borrowed from a FM for a few days.
The 809 sounds way better than the Marantz 5006. Where I feel it scores over the 5006 is.
1. Power Delivery
2. Internal DAC
3. Instrument Separation.
4. Bass
5. Soundstage

the Marantz 5006 has better midrange

However the Onkyo is a little finicky when it comes to pairing. I feel they work better with silk dome tweeters / warmer speakers
With Aluminium tweeters . The HF do sound a little edgy/Shrill . The Marantz on the other hand does not have this problem.

I don't want to comment about the 809 vs the denon 4311, since they are in completely different price brackets.

--------------------------------------------------
From your signature I see you have Sonodynes ... I have never heard them . so cant really comment about pairing.

Thanx Flash for your detailed feedback....Nice to hear that it scores few points over Marantz....

Sonodyne Sonus speakers come with silk dome tweeter..I have earlier paired this speaker with Marantz (SR 5200), i liked it.... One day i decided to get my Onkyo HTIB receiver & wanted to check the pairing...I was actually surprised... Though my receiver is a entry level receiver (670W power consumption :eek:hyeah:), it had the guts to run the speakers easily in less than 50% of the volume (No tweaks done to speaker settings)...& i was convinced with Onkyo pairing over Marantz pairing fir Sonodyne Sonus...

Onkyo receiver + Sonodyne Sonus speaker is an excellent pairing....So i am hanging on to Onkyo...

Hi tanmayj,

I had requested my friends dad to purchase the Onkyo TX - NR 818 from Kuwait...Finally they had purchased the product with Onkyo Wireless USB adapter for Approx 45K...:yahoo:

They are planning to bring it during end of April...

So have a very dumb Q as i am not familiar with airport rules in any particular city...

When you meant hand carried, does it mean that the receiver needs to be removed from the packing (the Box) & kept in hand :sad:

(or) can they carry along with them the receiver in packed content...

In such case what would be the duty ? Appreciate your help

Back