Onkyo TX-NR1030 vs Marantz SR7009

One thing to keep in mind is that in reality not all channels are playing all the time. Most times, it is only center channel. Only very rarely you have the LCR playing together and that too for a very short periods of time.
Another thing to consider is the sensitivity of the speakers. If you have high sensitivity speakers like the Klipschs, you will need very small amounts of power to drive them to reference SPLs (my reference is 84-85db)
See here for more details http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...s-your-speaker-need-power-vs-sensitivity.html If your speakers are 90db sensitivity, you just need 0.5 watt power to drive it to 87db SPL. Even if you assume huge dynamic range (ex: gun shots) in movies will sometimes cause SPLs to go up to 100 db, you still need 16 watts of power. Looks like receiver manufacturers are not total idiots after all.
Spend on what you need

True. a 90dB sensitivity speakers need 0.5 of the same power as an 87 dB sensitiivty. but that is at 1 Khz reference signal, in actual conditions you have a huge range of frequencies the AVR dishes out to the speakers and you will have much lower sound pressure levels. So you actually need a bit of both if your room size is big. because you are seated farther away from the speakers , based on your TV screen size i presume. High Sensitivity Speakers (90dB and above) with a Muscle amp in conjunction.

1 Khz is a good indication as it falls in the middle of the freq curve for most part. Good speakers do not vary much in output SPL across the frequency range for a given input power.

1 Khz is a good indication as it falls in the middle of the freq curve for most part. Good speakers do not vary much in output SPL across the frequency range for a given input power.
Yes you are right for an 8 ohm impedance, but the actual speaker impedance which varies on to the higher side dues to the higher frequencies will give much lesser efficiency. but let me rephrase what i said earlier: given a sensitivity of 90dB of speakers and a power input of 10 watt. a person sitting at 1 metre from the speaker will experience a much higher SPL than a person seated at a distance of 2 metres from the same speaker. In other words Room Dimensions play a big role in AVR selection

Last edited:
Wow.. lot of suggestions for you Aqua.. :)

Btw, I recently moved from 7.1 to 5.1 in my AVR and now I seem to enjoy much better movie watching experience ;)

Room Dimensions really play a difference which dictate the power / number of speakers you can have etc. to effectively feel the experience...

Wow.. lot of suggestions for you Aqua.. :)

Btw, I recently moved from 7.1 to 5.1 in my AVR and now I seem to enjoy much better movie watching experience ;)

Room Dimensions really play a difference which dictate the power / number of speakers you can have etc. to effectively feel the experience...

haha yes Murli , lot of suggestions ... and its getting intense as well
good to know u been experimenting with all options :)

One thing to keep in mind is that in reality not all channels are playing all the time. Most times, it is only center channel. Only very rarely you have the LCR playing together and that too for a very short periods of time.
Another thing to consider is the sensitivity of the speakers. If you have high sensitivity speakers like the Klipschs, you will need very small amounts of power to drive them to reference SPLs (my reference is 84-85db)
See here for more details http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...s-your-speaker-need-power-vs-sensitivity.html If your speakers are 90db sensitivity, you just need 0.5 watt power to drive it to 87db SPL. Even if you assume huge dynamic range (ex: gun shots) in movies will sometimes cause SPLs to go up to 100 db, you still need 16 watts of power. Looks like receiver manufacturers are not total idiots after all.
Spend on what you need

So u suggest not to take preamp/poweramp ?? and go with AVRs ??
whats wrong in taking a preamp and poweramp for a better setup for sound ??
Understood that we should take what is required and not more .... its not about whether am not satisfied/happy with a good AVR ..... but what if I am very much impressed with quality and overall experience when a preamp/poweramp are powering up my speakers .... still we should not go for a preamp / poweramp ? will it be waste of investment ?

Yes you are right for an 8 ohm impedance, but the actual speaker impedance which varies on to the higher side dues to the higher frequencies will give much lesser efficiency. but let me rephrase what i said earlier: given a sensitivity of 90dB of speakers and a power input of 10 watt. a person sitting at 1 metre from the speaker will experience a much higher SPL than a person seated at a distance of 2 metres from the same speaker. In other words Room Dimensions play a big role in AVR selection

Good one George ...... I accept it .... :)

Cheers,
Aditya

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I got a chance to hear it the recent Chennai AV Expo .
My Experience .
Marantz was sweeter than Onkyo . But Onkyo was very good in delivering a powerful punchy delivery in movies section. Really very powerful.
So better audition n decide.
Also one more suggestion ,since you are investing in higher end AVR . SR7009 only support Atmos and not support the new dts X format .Therefore try for SR7010 which can support both (dts X can be upgraded thro free firmware later) .

Hi I got a chance to hear it the recent Chennai AV Expo .
My Experience .
Marantz was sweeter than Onkyo . But Onkyo was very good in delivering a powerful punchy delivery in movies section. Really very powerful.
So better audition n decide.
Also one more suggestion ,since you are investing in higher end AVR . SR7009 only support Atmos and not support the new dts X format .Therefore try for SR7010 which can support both (dts X can be upgraded thro free firmware later) .

hey there ... BTW ... i bought a AVR already ...... this thread was from before I bought the AVR :)
Thanks,
Aditya

So u suggest not to take preamp/poweramp ?? and go with AVRs ??
whats wrong in taking a preamp and poweramp for a better setup for sound ??
Understood that we should take what is required and not more .... its not about whether am not satisfied/happy with a good AVR ..... but what if I am very much impressed with quality and overall experience when a preamp/poweramp are powering up my speakers .... still we should not go for a preamp / poweramp ? will it be waste of investment ?

Cheers,
Aditya
Ok, here is the deal -
If you have the budget for a preamp/power amp, go for it. You cannot go wrong, especially with the Emotivas. They'll drive almost any speakers efficiently.
In the event you are short of budget and want to consider the true merits of components for your application, then it is well worth to consider the points that George and i are raising here and make an informed decision. You may be able to save a lot of money by just going for a decent receiver

Ok, here is the deal -
If you have the budget for a preamp/power amp, go for it. You cannot go wrong, especially with the Emotivas. They'll drive almost any speakers efficiently.
In the event you are short of budget and want to consider the true merits of components for your application, then it is well worth to consider the points that George and i are raising here and make an informed decision. You may be able to save a lot of money by just going for a decent receiver

Cool :)
Cheers

@Aquarian09

If I understand correctly your current/near-future system is
Denon X4000 AVR
Klipsch RP280F L/R
Klipsch RP450C C
Klipsch RP250S Sur
SVS PB13 Sub

Denon X4000 claims to put out 125Wpc. Klipsch are very efficient speakers and the sub is doing the heavy lifting on LFE. In effect you have made the AVR a pre-processor with power output stage. For a 10x18 room it should be more than enough. If you feel you need more juice you can always add an outboard stereo power amp for L/R or 3 monoblocks for LCR as the AVR has all channel pre-out.

In my opinion you have a wonderful system as is with room to improve incrementally. Definitely a combination one cannot go wrong with.

Happy listening!!

Cheers,
Raghu

@Aquarian09

If I understand correctly your current/near-future system is
Denon X4000 AVR
Klipsch RP280F L/R
Klipsch RP450C C
Klipsch RP250S Sur
SVS PB13 Sub

Denon X4000 claims to put out 125Wpc. Klipsch are very efficient speakers and the sub is doing the heavy lifting on LFE. In effect you have made the AVR a pre-processor with power output stage. For a 10x18 room it should be more than enough. If you feel you need more juice you can always add an outboard stereo power amp for L/R or 3 monoblocks for LCR as the AVR has all channel pre-out.

In my opinion you have a wonderful system as is with room to improve incrementally. Definitely a combination one cannot go wrong with.

Happy listening!!

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanx Raghu :)
Yes, thats the entire system :)
I seriously think that will be enough for this room. Once I get the Center and Surrounds, thats it, no more upgrades for this room .. it will be too much :D
Next upgrades will be done maybe next year end.

Cheers,
Aditya

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back