Onkyo TX SR 606 or Norge 1000 for Music?

Why you are considering an avr for music? or you need future upgradabality?as Both amps are in completly different leaugue...is there a possibality of audition by you?

I have bought a SR606 for HT. Wanted to know whether it performs better for music also, compared to Norge 1000.

Cmsajith, you would be better of anyday with a stereo amp than an onkyo ht for music.:sad:
Lekin kuch paane keliye kuch khona bi padtha hain!:)
Congrats on your new purchase. Which speakers are you using with it? Do you have a cdp?

Congratulations for buying Onkyo 606, I think you have bought it from Manu4Punjab as he had mentioned it somewhere. Now if you are really want to enjoy music from your 606 please follow the these steps:
1. Don't use Audyssey Equaliser settings while listining to music source like a CD player or Ipod, this can be easily done by selecting Pure Audio or Direct DSP from your Onkyo but in this case your speakers act as the full range speakers so make sure that they can handle the frequency requirement for a particular type of Music.
2. Try experimenting with the power cable which came with the AVR and replace it with either a DIY or a branded one from the likes of DAC or QED, this experiment you could result in a more detailed sound from the same AVR. If you know a friend or dealer who uses a fancy power cable then try borrowing the same from him to really check the difference in SQ. Also Use a decent Analogue interconnecters to connect all your source.
3. Last but not the least your source should be really good to bridge the gap between a Integrated and an AVR.

Yes, I am getting it from our fellow member Manu. I have not yet received, he will be sending it once he gets his new 876.

So what you all mean to say is that Norge 1000 will definitely outperform the AVR (assume we have done all the possible tweaks and best available interconnects and power cable)?

Congratulations for buying Onkyo 606, I think you have bought it from Manu4Punjab as he had mentioned it somewhere. Now if you are really want to enjoy music from your 606 please follow the these steps:
1. Don't use Audyssey Equaliser settings while listining to music source like a CD player or Ipod, this can be easily done by selecting Pure Audio or Direct DSP from your Onkyo but in this case your speakers act as the full range speakers so make sure that they can handle the frequency requirement for a particular type of Music.
2. Try experimenting with the power cable which came with the AVR and replace it with either a DIY or a branded one from the likes of DAC or QED, this experiment you could result in a more detailed sound from the same AVR. If you know a friend or dealer who uses a fancy power cable then try borrowing the same from him to really check the difference in SQ. Also Use a decent Analogue interconnecters to connect all your source.
3. Last but not the least your source should be really good to bridge the gap between a Integrated and an AVR.

Yes, I am getting it from our fellow member Manu. I have not yet received, he will be sending it once he gets his new 876.

So what you all mean to say is that Norge 1000 will definitely outperform the AVR (assume we have done all the possible tweaks and best available interconnects and power cable)?

Being an Integrated Stereo amp it might out performe for Music reproduction but its again up to you,your speakers and source to judge the difference from both.

Being an Integrated Stereo amp it might out performe for Music reproduction but its again up to you,your speakers and source to judge the difference from both.

Can you elaborate on what could be the difference b/n 606 and 1000 in Direct mode? I am pairing with Space Audio TWR6 Floor standers (slightly warmer in sound) Product6 Also (if required), the sub will be a DIY sub based on 15" Dayton Reference HI-FI ported tuned to ~20Hz and sealed with tuning ~28Hz.
Source is an HTPC based on GB 780G, currently with optical out to Onkyo HTR 320 AVR. Planning to upgrade with a Xonar / MAudio based sound card.

How to replace the power cable in Onkyo, i think we need to open the amp are do some soldering.. Any ways the interconnects will be DIY based on Belden cables.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate what could be the difference? I am pairing with Space Audio TWR6 Floor standers (warm sound) Product6
Source is an HTPC based on GB 780G, currently with optical out to Onkyo HTR 320 AVR. Planning to upgrade with a Xonar / MAudio based sound card.

The difference could be in the detailing of the contents played through your source and here Music, Generally Onkyo's have following minus against Music reproduction:
1. Lack of detailing (lacks proper vocal and instrumental reproduction specially at high volumes)
2. Lacks outright control over the music played.
3. Might sound bright if poorly partnered.

Plus:
Very Dynamic and great for movie sound.

In your setup I am not familier with your speakers and never heard them, also since you are using an HTPC its recommended to go for a good sound card which you are already planning for.

Among the two options which one gives the most improvement for music:

- Changing the sound card.
- Music through Norge 1000

Is there any good sound card with bit perfect audio o/p through HDMI and analog outs for stereo with good opamp? Anyways the purchase will be after 1 or 2 months.

How to replace the power cable in Onkyo, i think we need to open the amp are do some soldering.. Any ways the interconnects will be DIY based on Belden cables.

Onkyo's come with the detchable power cords, as far as I know atleast in the higher end models I owened eg. 705, 905. and If I am right you can do the same easily.

When your AVR reaches you then connect it in your setup and then give us the feedback so that we can help in adjusting the same to your liking.

Onkyo's come with the detchable power cords, as far as I know atleast in the higher end models I owened eg. 705, 905. and If I am right you can do the same easily.

When your AVR reaches you then connect it in your setup and then give us the feedback so that we can help in adjusting the same to your liking.

Only in the next model (706) is having the detachable power cable.

hmmm!
I always feel this dilemma "stereo integrated amp or AVR for music". I am using RXV 361 for movies and music. i always use it in straight mode.

I think to get most out of norge, you need a good CDP. norge does not have DAC. Onkyo has its Own DAC. so you should get better sound if you use digital out of any standard(sony/philips) DVDp and use onkyo's DAC.

To upgrade my sound, i think i will need something like HK 3490 or above. i don't think Norge will give any better SQ if your CDP is not upto the mark. a good CDP will cost you at least 15K and DVDp(like oppo) at least 12K.

How are space speakers? they look good in pics but how do they sound?

hmmm!
I think to get most out of norge, you need a good CDP. norge does not have DAC. Onkyo has its Own DAC. so you should get better sound if you use digital out of any standard(sony/philips) DVDp and use onkyo's DAC.

To upgrade my sound, i think i will need something like HK 3490 or above. i don't think Norge will give any better SQ if your CDP is not upto the mark. a good CDP will cost you at least 15K and DVDp(like oppo) at least 12K.

How are space speakers? they look good in pics but how do they sound?

I am not counting the DAC for the time being, coz' i am using HTPC as source and will be buying a good sound card. What i am asking is that, consider I am connecting a good DAC (either a good sound card or a dedicated DAC) to Norge 1000 and Onkyo 606 (Analogue) w/ good interconnects, does 1000 outperform 606?

If you really have HTPC with decent on brd SC,then go for amp first(1000).
Later you can add dedicated SC to add details to your sound.

What i am asking is that, consider I am connecting a good DAC (either a good sound card or a dedicated DAC) to Norge 1000 and Onkyo 606 (Analogue) w/ good interconnects, does 1000 outperform 606?

Sajith:

Expecting a clear 'Product A' is better than 'Product B' answer at this price range and product/brand type will be difficult. One of the advantages that the Norge will have is less electronics and the lack of video circuity to give it a slight edge in terms of delivery. At the same time, the Onkyo does have a method of bypassing all the unnecessary circuitry in Pure Direct mode. Frankly, between these two products, unless you spend huge amounts of money on the source, cables, and speakers, it will be difficult to make out a huge difference.

Go with what you have. Get a good card for your HTPC, buy decent interconnects and cables, and enjoy your system for some time. In the meantime, put together some money for the next 12 odd months. When the upgrade bug catches you, relegate the 606 to pure movie tasks, and get a decent amp, a CDP, and speakers to deliver just music. If you jump to something like a NAD, CA or similar amps, you will get a qualitative jump in sound quality.

Cheers

@Venkat, So I am assuming that both the amps will perform same in my current setup, right?

Sajith:

Expecting a clear 'Product A' is better than 'Product B' answer at this price range and product/brand type will be difficult. One of the advantages that the Norge will have is less electronics and the lack of video circuity to give it a slight edge in terms of delivery. At the same time, the Onkyo does have a method of bypassing all the unnecessary circuitry in Pure Direct mode. Frankly, between these two products, unless you spend huge amounts of money on the source, cables, and speakers, it will be difficult to make out a huge difference.

Go with what you have. Get a good card for your HTPC, buy decent interconnects and cables, and enjoy your system for some time. In the meantime, put together some money for the next 12 odd months. When the upgrade bug catches you, relegate the 606 to pure movie tasks, and get a decent amp, a CDP, and speakers to deliver just music. If you jump to something like a NAD, CA or similar amps, you will get a qualitative jump in sound quality.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back