Onkyo TX SR 606 or Norge 1000 for Music?

Sajith take things slowly..collect some software ...try experimenting with current setup and go in baby steps..

sound depends a lot on perception and there are no a is better than b anwers....in fact IMHO Norge is overrated amplifier and you MAY like sound of your existing setup more!

Sajith take things slowly..collect some software ...try experimenting with current setup and go in baby steps..

sound depends a lot on perception and there are no a is better than b anwers....in fact IMHO Norge is overrated amplifier and you MAY like sound of your existing setup more!

I am not at all asking for a clear line answers here. I am having an existing setup based on HTR320 AVR (2005) and got a chance to upgrade to 606 for HT because of Manu (so no need for auditioning and it has better review comments also). I was thinking about buying Norge 1000 amp for music before and was planning to use Norge to power my front L/R towers and the remaining from 320. Since I am upgrading to 606 (assuming it will have better DACs than 320 and more power) I am rechecking the feasibility of going for Norge. If both SQs are same, then there is no point in going for Norge and I can go for a better music amp later, right?

Last edited:
Since I am upgrading to 606 (assuming it will have better DACs than 320 and more power) I am rechecking the feasibility of going for Norge. If both SQs are same, then there is no point in going for Norge and I can go for a better music amp later, right?

DACs in 606 are nor far better than higheng(706) models.
I listened to 606 & Yam663 same day & found 663 was clear,open & musical than 606.
Infact 320(yours) can sound better than 606 as it is Htib(?) which is promotted as all in one sol(mov & music,OREQ)
I can say that bcos my 330 sounds better than 606.

It was a part of HTIB : HTS 570

HTR-320 : 5.1 AVR (100w/ch, not sure when 1/2/all channels at a time)
SKS-320 : 5.1 speakers
Active Subwoofer

DACs in 606 are nor far better than higheng(706) models.
I listened to 606 & Yam663 same day & found 663 was clear,open & musical than 606.
Infact 320(yours) can sound better than 606 as it is Htib(?) which is promotted as all in one sol(mov & music,OREQ)
I can say that bcos my 330 sounds better than 606.

I am not at all asking for a clear line answers here. I am having an existing setup based on HTR320 AVR (2005) and got a chance to upgrade to 606 for HT because of Manu (so no need for auditioning and it has better review comments also). I was thinking about buying Norge 1000 amp for music before and was planning to use Norge to power my front L/R towers and the remaining from 320. Since I am upgrading to 606 (assuming it will have better DACs than 320 and more power) I am rechecking the feasibility of going for Norge. If both SQs are same, then there is no point in going for Norge and I can go for a better music amp later, right?

What is your location ? IMHO do not buy Norge befor auditioning - i feel it is overrated. And music depends on taste and yours may be far different. I always liked JBL and Cerwin Vega's - the brand it seems our forum does not like. ( Anyway I prefer Jack Daniels over Black Label -American over Scotch - although I try to stock both!)

You can save money if you get a vintage 2 channel amp -IMHO sounding far better than norge!

It was a part of HTIB : HTS 570

HTR-320 : 5.1 AVR (100w/ch, not sure when 1/2/all channels at a time)
SKS-320 : 5.1 speakers
Active Subwoofer

mine HTS-580.

320 is said to be better than 330 even though it has DAC of 96/24bit (mine 192/24) It has powered sub,mine passive. So that can be the reason 320 works smoother than 330, may it be better for music too.

mine HTS-580.

320 is said to be better than 330 even though it has DAC of 96/24bit (mine 192/24) It has powered sub,mine passive. So that can be the reason 320 works smoother than 330, may it be better for music too.

So what you mean to say is that my HTR 320 will be better than SR 606 for music?

Oh God, totally confused...:) :(

Which one is preferred (Source: HTPC with good sound card):

- HTR 320 + Norge 1000 for front L/R for Movies and
Norge 1000 for music
(both w/ analogue out from HTPC)

- SR606 for both HT and music

Dont think AVR for pure music.
Norge is better for music than 606.
In AVR few sounds better,but not as good as Stereo amp.
So I felt my 330 is clear & better for music than 606, but

When you come to mov, 606is far better than 320/330.

Pls.dont mix music & mov setups as mixing will be compramising.

In my case I got 580, then Tannoy F1(frt & centre), then SC(D2X) & st amp in future.
I am happy with current setup,still I cant say music is best with it eventhough I have D2X & Tannoy F1 as best components.

Non-Scaling Configuration
* Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels
* 5 A/V Inputs and 1 Output
* Video Output (Monitor)
* 2 Audio Inputs and 1 Output
* Onscreen Display (OSD) for HDMI Output
* Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
* Headphone Jack
* Sleep Timer (via Remote)
* Battery-Free Memory Backup
* Aluminum Front Panel
* Spin-Finished Aluminum Volume Knob

I could not understand your message.

hey brother

onkyo 606 is great for movies not music(though in stereo mode i get good sound)

and yaaaa for only music stick with amp than avr even 876 is not that much great for music but its a beast for movies

actually my only choice is movies and games (i don't listen music very rare chance)so 876 and even 606 do a awesome job

so its up to you to decide brother :)

What is your location ? IMHO do not buy Norge befor auditioning - i feel it is overrated. And music depends on taste and yours may be far different. I always liked JBL and Cerwin Vega's - the brand it seems our forum does not like. ( Anyway I prefer Jack Daniels over Black Label -American over Scotch - although I try to stock both!)

You can save money if you get a vintage 2 channel amp -IMHO sounding far better than norge!

Thanks Hemant,

it is because of such posts that i am able to refrain myself from going for norge. Price is too attractive and many good reviews.. every now and then i think of buying it till i find someone talking like this. i will agree that Norge is a good but overhyped product. My aim is to go for HK 3380/3490 in a year or two.

Hi Cmsajith, Jaudere,
Regarding your doubts on Norge's performance... see my experience below...

Today I re-auditioned Norge 2060 with Wharfe 9.2 after span of 6 months approx. This time the objective was to compare performance with Onkyo AVR that comes with S-5105 HTIB set (I think its R-340), that has been running at my home since last 6 months.

I haven't heard Onkyo 606, but I can tell you without an iota of doubt that Norge 2060 + Wharfe 9.2 is FAR BETTER than Onkyo 5105 + Wharfe 9.2. (The source was LG DVD player, the 3k entry level type, for both).
1. Some instruments that were faintly audible in Onkyo were much clearer in Norge.
2. The already clear instruments in Onkyo gained immense energy in Norge as if they were being played live in front of me.
3. The bass of Norge actually sounded better than Subwoofer of Onkyo in Stereo mode (The sub is not available in Pure direct mode)

Norge's performance is all the more significant because the Onkyo is kept in pure direct mode, and connected thru digital coax cable using Onkyo DAC, whereas Norge was fed thru analog out of DVD player (having presumably lesser quality DAC than Onkyo DAC)

I don't know if this "FAR BETTER" difference would apply to other speakers, but I have again come to conclusion that around 20k budget, nothing beats the Stereo performance of Norge 2060 + Wharfe 9.2.

I strongly recommend you give Norge an audition with your gear, and do share your conclusions in this forum.

Regards,

Thanks Sono.

Norge's performance is all the more significant because the Onkyo is kept in pure direct mode, and connected thru digital coax cable using Onkyo DAC, whereas Norge was fed thru analog out of DVD player (having presumably lesser quality DAC than Onkyo DAC)
Can you try the analogue out from the player to Onkyo analog in (same as Norge) and post the result?

Sonospehere said ''I don't know if this "FAR BETTER" difference would apply to other speakers, but I have again come to conclusion that around 20k budget, nothing beats the Stereo performance of Norge 2060 + Wharfe 9.2.''

Hi,

IMHO this will be true with ANY speakers. If you add a CDP to the Norge combo rather than a DVDP the difference will be still greater. No Onkyo AVR is good for stereo music. The Onkyo AVRs are very good at movie sound but not music.
If one does not want a Stereo Amp it is better to go for a Marantz AVR which is good for music too.

cheers,
sri

Thanks Sono.

Can you try the analogue out from the player to Onkyo analog in (same as Norge) and post the result?

Yes, I have myself been curious to see what difference it makes in sound. Give me till this weekend, will post the result by then.

Regds,

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back