Onkyo TX-SR577 Vs Onkyo TX-SR606

KBS

Hi,

I was looking for a good AVR around Rs 35k. And I had almost selected Onkyo TX-SR606, because of affordability and it's features. Now there is new model Onkyo TX-SR577 and I am in dilemma. Please help.

My usage is 60-70% music, and 30-40% movies.

Onkyo TX-SR577 does not have 7.1 channel input, so it can't be a future proof AVR. What do you say?

Onkyo TX-SR577 does not have Video Upscaling. Can it be a bottleneck? Can't it be overcome by good player?

Please pour in your reviews and comments on Onkyo TX-SR577 Vs Onkyo TX-SR606.

Thanks in advance

KBS

Hi,

I was looking for a good AVR around Rs 35k. And I had almost selected Onkyo TX-SR606, because of affordability and it's features. Now there is new model Onkyo TX-SR577 and I am in dilemma. Please help.

My usage is 60-70% music, and 30-40% movies.

Onkyo TX-SR577 does not have 7.1 channel input, so it can't be a future proof AVR. What do you say?

Onkyo TX-SR577 does not have Video Upscaling. Can it be a bottleneck? Can't it be overcome by good player?

Thanks in advance

KBS

Getting a future proof avr is a distant mirage:) With the ever changing technologies and media.
Since your usage is more biased towards music I would suggest you check out other avr's from brands like Denon, Sony, Marantz, Cambridge Audio. These are better for music than the Onkyo. Onkyo's strenght is Movies.

As for sr577 vs 606, I think unless you are insistent on 7.1, sr577 would do as it does have hd audio decoding(iirc). It lacks video hd upscaling which imho is not really a dealbreaker, you can let any good dvd, blu ray player do it for you.
And a word of caution, stay away from hdmi passthru.
What are the respective prices?

Onkyo TX-SR606, because of affordability and it's features.

>>>>>606 is a good performer and has got good reviews. I have auditioned and its a good AVR. It decodes almost all the audio formats

>>>> why you would need 7.1 ch input. I see it alredy has DTS and Dolby tru HD decoders. It would be good to have the decocoding done in the AVR

Onkyo TX-SR577 does not have Video Upscaling. Can it be a bottleneck?

>>>>> I would prefer the upscaling to be kept either at source[dvd player] or at the target[TV]. Having upscaling feature in AVR is good but it can't become the point for selecting the avr.

Thanks,
Prakash.

>>>> why you would need 7.1 ch input. I see it alredy has DTS and Dolby tru HD decoders. It would be good to have the decocoding done in the AVR

Thanks a lot Prakash,

I agree with your point. But I can not be replacing the AVR whenever there is a new format in the market. I just want push replacement as much as possible. So I was interested in 7.1 Channel Input.

Please help me in understanding.

Am I too greedy? :)

Thanks
KBS

You will want to use the 5.1/7.1 input on your AVR if and only if you want your DVDP/BDP etc to decode the audio and send the individual signals to the AVR. In this case, the AVR will only amplify (without processing) the signals and feed them to the speakers. Typically AVRs will have better DACs (relative to budget DVDPs) and are fed the undecoded audio from the DVDP/BDP via coax/optical/HDMI cables. You may never need to use the 5.1/7.1 input on the AVR and hence this will not be a deciding factor for AVRs.

Thanks a lot Prakash,

I agree with your point. But I can not be replacing the AVR whenever there is a new format in the market. I just want push replacement as much as possible. So I was interested in 7.1 Channel Input.

Please help me in understanding.

Am I too greedy? :)

Thanks
KBS

5.1 speakers itself kind of mess in my room coz of wiring and other things. 7.1 is OK. Beyond that i can't imagine. and i dont think format like 9.1, 12.1
would get popular. Also the source, is not available as of now. Even the blu ray discs comes with dolby 5.1 only. very few titles come with true HD.

For eg the AVR's have HDMI 1.3a, in another one year 1.3b format will come, what you would then??? So dont decide a product based on those criterias.
Hence don't make this 7.1 i/p as a constraint. Think if you are getting a good product within your price range that has all the available features in the market today.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Thanks a lot.

I am convinced, almost. :)

I was just thinking of use of 7.1 channel input, in future, if there are some audio formats (off course, with <= 7.1 channels) something like RealHD+ (!!!! ???? :) ), assuming that I will have good player which decodes it.

Now, I think at the Price of "GOOD" player with 7.1 channel output, I can replace the AVR itself. What do you say?

Thank you all again.

KBS

Last edited:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

KBS

You need to upscale only when you have Full HD TV, do you have fullHD TV, btw What is the price of SR577?

Thanks
Gap G J

I would say, Denon 1910 is better for music but if you want to stick with Onkyo check the price for 607, I got it for 24k from singapore, shouldn't be too much in India, it's a 7.2 so you can be sure of future proofing though future changes every second...:)

If the AVR cannot up convert the Component video signals then you will need more interconnects.

ie DVD Player has HDMI out you need to connect the TV with HDMI, so 2 HDMI interconnects.

the DVB/cable setup box will have component to connect with AVR then you need to connect the TV with Component cable only, so 2 component cables

and if you have a VCR, PS2 connected to the AVR with RCA then you need to connect the tv with RCA. So 2 RCA cables

And you have 3 different connection and you have to select the source in the TV

If the AVR does connect up convert then You need only one HDMI connection to the TV and you will save on interconnect.

Does SR 606 upscale composite video signals upto 1080p? getting a composite signal from a CATV set top box and upscaling it to 1080p is possible?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back