Onkyo - TXSR 304 E AV receiver and Jamo 406 combo

anoopdotk

Hi Bangalore Guys,

Is this Onkyo-Jamo offer still there in ezone?
If yes, few more questions :) :
How is the performance without subwoofer? Is it possible to deliver the full bass to front speakers, I mean something like 5 instead of 5.1 in the receiver? so that we wont feel one channel of pure bass is not getting utilised and we may loose something. Sorry guys, I am asking this since 30K is already out of my budget, it will take some time for upgrading to a Subwoofer.
And how is the stereo music performance?

you won't feel like there's anything missing with a 5.0 setup, there is no bass information that is being kept away from your speakers. It sounds pretty good even without the subwoofer...better than many of the consumer level HTIBs that feature passive subs.

It's pretty good for stereo music as well. It's not "audiophile grade" but it's probably the best that 30k can get you.

you won't feel like there's anything missing with a 5.0 setup, there is no bass information that is being kept away from your speakers. It sounds pretty good even without the subwoofer...better than many of the consumer level HTIBs that feature passive subs.

It's pretty good for stereo music as well. It's not "audiophile grade" but it's probably the best that 30k can get you.

Thank you psychotropic. I heard that Jamo 406 HCS is available with futurebazaar for 16990. I am in Japan right now. There is one Onkyo receiver SA-205HD available here for around 17K. It supports DTS HD Master and True HD also. The power is 30W*5, 6Ohms + 60 W SW, 3Ohms. SW preout is there. And to get additional two channels for 7.1 there are two pre outs. Can I buy this and use with Jamo bought from futurebazaar. My worries are:

Will the receiver work properly in India with a proper stepdown transformer which I can buy here or there in India?
Will Jamo work fine with 30 W per channel power of this receiver or will that be too less? SW upgrade I will plan later only.

I am inclined to Onkyo SA-205HD only because it does HD audio processing.

hmmm, that sounds like a decent deal, although i've never heard of the model. But 30W per channel may be a touch underpowered for the Jamo 406. Of course it depends entirely on the characteristics of the amp, including its current supplying abilities (the 406 is a 6 ohm speaker).

It should work okay with a good quality step-down transformer. But why go through the hassle? I honestly don't think it's worth it, especially since HD audio material is almost non-existent on the ground at the moment.

Upgrade wholesale in 2-3 years or whenever you feel the need for HD Audio.

Yes Psychotropic, even I am worried on that 30W thing. The main reason for thinking HD was I don't want to upgrade my first HT other than buying a powered SUB. And I wanted to invest in music in the future. Anyway I will think once again. Most probably I would go with that eZone Onkyo TXSR 304 E AV receiver and Jamo 406 offer. Any idea on whether it is still there?

psychotropic and others,
I heard from here that Denon is a little more musical compared to Onkyo. In that case is there any entry level receiver from Denon around 15K (online, Kochi or BLR) so that I can buy Jamo 406 HCS from futurebazaar (16990) and match with. Also it will be an alternative for me if that Onkyo + Jamo offer is not there now in ezone. Please note that my budget was 20K :D. Now I made it 30K (max 32K) attracted by the Jamo Floorstanders.

I don't think so anoop....you might find a very old Denon receiver that has been lying in stock with someone for a long time, that might be available for 15-16k, but I honestly think that the Onkyo 304 would be a better option, as it is a currently produced model from Onkyo.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back