Opinion about Emotiva XPA 2 gen 3 power amplifier.

sunand777

Anyone using this amp ? It has no transformer power supply, it uses smps technology, but massive sound output..300w at 8 ohm per channel. How is the performance and sound quality of this amp? The missing toroidal transformer technology will make any degradation in soundquality?
No chance for audition..so please help.

I have no direct experience with this model...hope to audition it in person here in Mumbai....

I found this video on youtube and with my past vast experience in Audio performance (as a DJ using variety of professional gear etc.) this amp is huge in performance and dont think there would be any degradation in SQ.

I'm using XPA2 Gen3 from past two years and I really love the sound. Earlier I was using NAD 320BEE, then moved on to XPA 1L x 2. Currently I'm settled with this amp. The sound is awesome and enjoying my music. The bass is tight with very clean sound. The sound decay is great and also nice soundstage.
My configuration is : DC1 -> Emotiva XSP Preprocessor -> XPA2 - Gen3 ->Ekta Grande(http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande.htm)-> Rythmik subwoofer(http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1200ci.html).

If you are in Bangalore, you are welcome for an audition.

I'm using XPA2 Gen3 from past two years and I really love the sound. Earlier I was using NAD 320BEE, then moved on to XPA 1L x 2. Currently I'm settled with this amp. The sound is awesome and enjoying my music. The bass is tight with very clean sound. The sound decay is great and also nice soundstage.
My configuration is : DC1 -> Emotiva XSP Preprocessor -> XPA2 - Gen3 ->Ekta Grande(http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande.htm)-> Rythmik subwoofer(http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1200ci.html).

If you are in Bangalore, you are welcome for an audition.
What is your source?

What is your source?
I have the following source list:
1. Spotify Premium ->Chromecast audio-> SPDIF - DC1
2. NAD CD Player -> DC1
3. HDD connected to RPI3 -> HifiBerry Digi+ Transformer(Ifi powered) -> SPDIF -> DC1
4. HDD connected to Zotac zbox B1320/Dell 3020 -> USB - DC1

I have the following source list:
1. Spotify Premium ->Chromecast audio-> SPDIF - DC1
2. NAD CD Player -> DC1
3. HDD connected to RPI3 -> HifiBerry Digi+ Transformer(Ifi powered) -> SPDIF -> DC1
4. HDD connected to Zotac zbox B1320/Dell 3020 -> USB - DC1
How is the bass performance without sub?

Using the XPA2G3 with the XSP-1.
Sources are CDs on Marantz CD 6004 / FLAC on NA7004, both run through the Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.

Till 3 months ago, I was using the Marantz MM7055 for powering 5 channels on my HT. Now this new 2 channel amp powers my FL and FR channels for both stereo listening as well as HT, while the 7055 powers the remaining 5 channels of my 7.1 HT configuration.
The 7055 is a really good amp (both for 2 channel as well as HT) but the XPA has even better dynamics and sound stage.
And it never gets even warm (forget hot) no matter what you throw at it.
For the price, it can't be beaten I guess.
Go for it is my advice.

Check qsc 1222( around 40k)or 1622(around 50k) have great specs and reviews.
These are for Cinema purpose.
Might not look good but surely sound good..

I have been using Emotiva XPA-5 (Gen-2) in my HT gear for a long time and I am just about ok with its performance. Emotiva amplifiers in general, in my opinion, are great when you look at the cost-to-performance ratio but they don't really do that well in a high performance, I mean a 2 channel, environment. They tend to sound harsh in the high frequency region which leads to listening fatigue especially in a 2 channel stereo environment. It would be relatively safer to use them in a HT environment.
Thanks.

Everywhere, very good reviews about xpa gen3 in two channel performance, it gives awesome sound quality with clarity and dynamics of music with rich sound stage, also its have massive power output for any speakers to drive easily, IMO a very good power amp is a long time investment , my use is for pure two channel , so only we want to upgrade preamp section with new features in future..

I have been using Emotiva XPA-5 (Gen-2) in my HT gear for a long time and I am just about ok with its performance. Emotiva amplifiers in general, in my opinion, are great when you look at the cost-to-performance ratio but they don't really do that well in a high performance, I mean a 2 channel, environment. They tend to sound harsh in the high frequency region which leads to listening fatigue especially in a 2 channel stereo environment. It would be relatively safer to use them in a HT environment.
Thanks.
sound harshness in high frequency will depend on a speakers that we used too?

Have you any other suggestion in that price range and power...?

Last edited:
Anyone using this amp ? It has no transformer power supply, it uses smps technology, but massive sound output

I do not own any Emotiva product but have spent a fair bit of time with their old XPA5 and boy oh boy did it bring alive a pair of Polk Audio Rti A9's. These are not difficult to drive speakers though, however, they were previously running straight off Marantz's top model receiver from 2015 ( I do not recall the exact model). You would expect Marantz's best to not require any out board amplification but that was not the case. The Emotiva literally added a level of dynamic power that the Marantz was not able to deliver.

I would not compare an Emotiva to a PA amplifier. The former is engineered to a high degree and will sound leagues better.

As a brand, their products are an eyes closed purchase and the customer support is outstanding.

@sandeepmohan- It's not fair to compare a receiver's performance with a dedicated amplifier. Any well designed amplifier performance is expected to beat a receiver because of many benefits that separates bring to the table. Again Emotiva is not a bad amplifier, it is just that they don't have the finesse, in my opinion, that audiophiles expect in the high-end category.
@sunand777- I am not sure if you would find a better amplifier in Emotiva's price range because they already have a very high value to cost ratio. If you want to spend more money you might get a better multi channel amplifier from vendors like Parasound, Rotel, Bryston, Ayre, etc. I don't know prices/availability of these products in India but other fellow members could help you out if you decide go beyond Emotiva.
Thanks.

Have you any other suggestion in that price range and power...?
There's Schiit Vidar at 700usd, 100 wpc which I'm using. You can bridge as monoblocks to 400 wpc of course at 1400 usd. The issue will be getting it from USA and need to send back to US if you need service. Advantages will be, It uses less noisy El Core Power Supply, Class AB against Class H of Emotiva . For Boston A360 100wpc should be enough in my opinion, but higher amplifier power is mostly good and liberates you while planning future speaker upgrades. The preamp options from Schiit for Vidar are quite VFM as well. I went with Vidar because of the impression I got from listening at FMs place, my experience with schiit products and clear upgrade path which is in my budget.

Stereophile noted slight distortion in XPA Gen 3 according to this review, and was suggesting proper speaker matching for better performance. Most other reviews have been quite positive.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-xpa-gen3-two-channel-power-amplifier-measurements
Always better to listen for yourself and decide, since these measurements don't necessarily translate into real world experience.

Another option is professional amps( Qsc & Crown), Class D in the budget, which will be much cheaper and provide the same or better amplification power. My listening of them is with professional speakers in a Party environment hasn't been pretty good from audiophile perspective ( there's bias against them which is not correct). I am looking forward to listen to one in my room environment with audiophile speakers.

You can go DIY route with experienced FMs like @Aniket or experienced people locally , who can design a pure Class A tailored to your power requirements,

There's Schiit Vidar at 700usd, 100 wpc which I'm using. You can bridge as monoblocks to 400 wpc of course at 1400 usd. The issue will be getting it from USA and need to send back to US if you need service. Advantages will be, It uses less noisy El Core Power Supply, Class AB against Class H of Emotiva . For Boston A360 100wpc should be enough in my opinion, but higher amplifier power is mostly good and liberates you while planning future speaker upgrades. The preamp options from Schiit for Vidar are quite VFM as well. I went with Vidar because of the impression I got from listening at FMs place, my experience with schiit products and clear upgrade path which is in my budget.

Stereophile noted slight distortion in XPA Gen 3 according to this review, and was suggesting proper speaker matching for better performance. Most other reviews have been quite positive.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-xpa-gen3-two-channel-power-amplifier-measurements
Always better to listen for yourself and decide, since these measurements don't necessarily translate into real world experience.

Another option is professional amps( Qsc & Crown), Class D in the budget, which will be much cheaper and provide the same or better amplification power. My listening of them is with professional speakers in a Party environment hasn't been pretty good from audiophile perspective ( there's bias against them which is not correct). I am looking forward to listen to one in my room environment with audiophile speakers.

You can go DIY route with experienced FMs like @Aniket or experienced people locally , who can design a pure Class A tailored to your power requirements,
Qsc has class AB , class H amplifiers.
Crown has class d, drive core etc

Back