Oppo 981H or Pioneer DV 610

John

I am in the lookout for a new player. Not satisfied with the present Philips player.

Which one should I go for? Oppo 981H? Or Pioneer DV 610?

I am in the lookout for a new player. Not satisfied with the present Philips player.

It depends on your budget,

If its 6.5k then pio610,if you need top performnce then oppo 981(18k)

Thanks! Budget is flexible.

The Oppo 981H having a Frouddja-based chip, does that go well with DLP projectors? I read in places that it causes big problems with macroblocking.

Can anyone verify this?

If you have budget then for pic quality 981 is much better than the 610. It does not have component out though. If on the other hand you want excelent audio capabilities as well then go for 980

Audio is not on the top of my priority, so I would go for the Oppo 981H. The only thing that is holding me back is that the 981H has a Frouddja chip for its upscaling and it is said to produce big macroblocking issues with DLP projectors.

Audio is not on the top of my priority, so I would go for the Oppo 981H. The only thing that is holding me back is that the 981H has a Frouddja chip for its upscaling and it is said to produce big macroblocking issues with DLP projectors.

You are right,983 doesnt have that issue.Now its better to go for Blrayp starting from 24k(PS3,others) that to purchase 25k oppo 983.

Well, I wrote to the Oppo people and they recommended the 980 instead. Now I am tempted to go for the 980 from hkflix.com. However, can anyone update me how it looks (picture quality) vis-a-vis the Pioneer DV610, which can be bought for 6.5 in grey.

TIA

Have only seen the 983 in action and I liked what I saw very much. Guess that rates all Oppo's very high for me. Anyways I would assume it would be better than the Pio both in terms of audio and video. Will wait for actual 980 users to confirm though. But IMHO you cannot go wrong with an Oppo and so do go for one albeit any model based on your requirements.

Thanks!

Now to add some more to the confusion, what about the XD-E500? What about this? Compared to the 980H.

Last edited:
Re: Oppo 980H or Toshiba XDE500 or Pioneer DV 610

Thanks, but I am really confused still! :confused:

Oppo 980H or Toshiba XDE500??? Pio DV610 is in the shadow now.

TIA.

Last edited:
Re: Oppo 980H or Toshiba XDE500

I am in Siliguri, West Bengal. I plan to get the player from Hkflix.com, FEDex shipped.

Thanks for the links. I am also reading up reviews on AVSForums and on Amazon. Tending to lean a bit towards the XDE500 due to its sharpness right now (going to use it with my PJ). The USB 2.0 thing of course is missing, but I don't think it is a big drawback. SACD, I will probably never use.. still debating...

Thanks Venkat. I am not particular about USB. I will use it only with my Optoma HD65 projector. Do you know if the player works with 220 volts? And any US sites with lowest prices? Lower than Amazon?

Thanks Venkat. I am not particular about USB. I will use it only with my Optoma HD65 projector. Do you know if the player works with 220 volts? And any US sites with lowest prices? Lower than Amazon?

If you buy from US sites, you will get only 110volts. At these prices they will not have a choice between 110 and 220.

Look for Asian sites where you will get 220 volts.

Cheers

I have recently purchased DV610AV-S from grey market in Mumbai @6.5K.

I needed this player as its capable of playing copy of a watermarked DVD-A.
I have downloaded about 10 DVD-A so far. Going to take a few backups from my brother. The SQ of DVD-A through 5.1 analogue connection is a treat to hear.

The picture quality is good. I have connected through HDMI @ 720p.
I have also upgraded firmware from Pioneer FAQ.

I am waiting to get my hands on my order of my 1st SACD: The Dark Side of the Moon.

I have recently purchased DV610AV-S from grey market in Mumbai @6.5K.

I needed this player as its capable of playing copy of a watermarked DVD-A.
I have downloaded about 10 DVD-A so far. Going to take a few backups from my brother. The SQ of DVD-A through 5.1 analogue connection is a treat to hear.

The picture quality is good. I have connected through HDMI @ 720p. I have also upgraded firmware from Pioneer FAQ.

I am waiting to get my hands on my order of my 1st SACD: The Dark Side of the Moon.

Now reading this is really tempting. I have been reading up on Pio610 for upgrade but yet to start saving up the $$ for the buy.

You say that you have connected through HDMI @720p. Now is that good and what will it take to upscale to 1080i or 1080p?

Now reading this is really tempting. I have been reading up on Pio610 for upgrade but yet to start saving up the $$ for the buy.

You say that you have connected through HDMI @720p. Now is that good and what will it take to upscale to 1080i or 1080p?

I don't have a FHD (1080p) TV. Otherwise you can always set HDMI output to 1080p.

Back