Oppo 981H or Pioneer DV 610

Dear Reju,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was about to buy the Pioneer 610. But if you cannot play DVD movies from the USB port it may not be such a good buy. Now I am thinking of buying a Philips DVP 3996 which I am sure can play the DVD movies thru the USB port.

P. N. Reddy

Most welcome! But do keep in mind the Pio 610 is an universal player. It can play DVD-A and SACD as well. Hope you don't need to play these?

Please don't assume anything. Firstly, I never wanted to play any video_ts (dvd) files. pnreddy wanted to know if it's possible to play these files as he had a specific requirement. I have told him it's not possible. The manual does not say this. I have read the manual even before I had purchased by player :p

Does that mean that you can play Divx and other compressed formats but not the DVD files (Video_Ts) thru the USB port?

Thanks

P.N.Reddy

After receiving the reply from Reju, I tried playing video_ts file on my Philips 3166 DVD player thru the USB port. There was no problem and it played it. Is the inability of Pioneer 610 to play video_ts from the memory stick peculiar to it or is it fairly common with other manufacturers also?

Thanks

P.N.Reddy

After receiving the reply from Reju, I tried playing video_ts file on my Philips 3166 DVD player thru the USB port. There was no problem and it played it. Is the inability of Pioneer 610 to play video_ts from the memory stick peculiar to it or is it fairly common with other manufacturers also?

Thanks

P.N.Reddy

Pio 610 shd play Vob via usb as it is USB 2.0.

hi
Got a pio 610~2 month back
Its very good player for DVD with HDMI upscaling
Excellent output with 1080 p
& yes it does play vd movies thru USB port ( i did play it onec ,but now i have to confirm format )

Even i am enjoying the PIO 610 for the past few months and can vouch for the Pio 610 picture quality. it is top class and ya..it sounds good too!
Huge difference from my earlier HDMI LG DVD player.

Pioneer DV 610 manual says it plays only 3 audio formats from USB
1.wma( windows media audio- not the lossless format)
2.m4a( apple equivalent of mp4)
3.mp3
if redbook CD's are converted using good software like EAC and other plugins
which among these 3 is the best option for sound quality?

or is there any other option to play .wav files or FLAC in Pioneer DV 610?

Pioneer DV 610 manual says it plays only 3 audio formats from USB
1.wma( windows media audio- not the lossless format)
2.m4a( apple equivalent of mp4)
3.mp3
if redbook CD's are converted using good software like EAC and other plugins
which among these 3 is the best option for sound quality?

You can use WMA lossless, or the Apple lossless if the Pioneer plays MP4 files. If you are using MP3, setting the coding to 320KBPS and you will get good quality sound.

Cheers

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. But I have been reading these posts since last few weeks. It's great to have stallwarts audiophile from India existing in the same forum.

Even if I'm planning to buy a Pioneer DV 610. I'd replace my 4 years old Onida DVD player which is also in great condition. I use component cable ( Philips brought from Sanfrancisco Target store). Hopefully I will continue using the same with Pio 610.

I have Samsung LCD (22'') in my bedroom which w'd be teamed with this Pio 610. I read the brochure of Samsung LCD which describes the component cable w'd deliver upto 720p/ 1080i.

Please comment. I'm on tight budget and w'd like to buy Pio set with bill from Kolkata showroom (quoted 9,800). And it's difficult to acquire Pio from Grey market as those are not authentic atleast in Kolkata.

Any suggestions w'd be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Sourav

Go for 610 if you need DVD-A and SACD playback. Otherwise settle for cheaper 410. Performance wise both are same. I initially (Feb 2009) I had bought 410 (black) from grey market for Rs. 4.8K, later in one week I changed to 610 (silver) for 6.5K, as I managed to source a good collection of DVD Audio.

Component is fine for 22" LCD. 720p will be possible only through HDMI (upscaling). You can always connect via HDMI if you upgrade your TV later.

Last edited:
You can use WMA lossless, or the Apple lossless if the Pioneer plays MP4 files. If you are using MP3, setting the coding to 320KBPS and you will get good quality sound.

Cheers

Hi venkat,

the problem is Pioneer DV 610 does not support WMA lossless. It supports only the compressed version of WMA. thatz what the manual says.

and also i doubt whether .m4a is a lossless version. wikipedia says it is a compressed MPEG-4 version promoted by Apple.
if so will MPEG-4 be any any better than MPEG-3 (i.e) Mp3?

the problem is Pioneer DV 610 does not support WMA lossless. It supports only the compressed version of WMA. thatz what the manual says.

and also i doubt whether .m4a is a lossless version. wikipedia says it is a compressed MPEG-4 version promoted by Apple. if so will MPEG-4 be any any better than MPEG-3 (i.e) Mp3?

Any MP3/MP4 file ripped at 320KBPS is quite good. But before you panic, why don't you try the lossless WMA and MP4 formats and see if the Pioneer can play them. I have a feeling if the extension is correct, it may just play them. I have a feeling it will play the Apple AAC files.

Cheers

Any MP3/MP4 file ripped at 320KBPS is quite good. But before you panic, why don't you try the lossless WMA and MP4 formats and see if the Pioneer can play them. I have a feeling if the extension is correct, it may just play them. I have a feeling it will play the Apple AAC files.

Cheers

i tried with WMA lossless, but it did not play. It is accepting .m4a, but i doubt whether itz a better alternative to Mp3.

Another problem with Pioneer dv-610 is when you play from USB, i'm not able to select the tracks through the player's single line LCD display. It just says GUI. You have to connect the DVD player to the TV to select the files, whether it is mp3 or whatever. I tried numerical names(eg.11,22,3) and also alphabetical names. but of no use. any idea how to solve this

Another problem with Pioneer dv-610 is when you play from USB, i'm not able to select the tracks through the player's single line LCD display. It just says GUI. You have to connect the DVD player to the TV to select the files, whether it is mp3 or whatever. I tried numerical names(eg.11,22,3) and also alphabetical names. but of no use. any idea how to solve this

If you have to browse through directories and select songs, you have to use the OSD feature. Single line displays are notoriously unfriendly.

Cheers

Go for 610 if you need DVD-A and SACD playback. Otherwise settle for cheaper 410. Performance wise both are same. I initially (Feb 2009) I had bought 410 (black) from grey market for Rs. 4.8K, later in one week I changed to 610 (silver) for 6.5K, as I managed to source a good collection of DVD Audio.

Component is fine for 22" LCD. 720p will be possible only through HDMI (upscaling). You can always connect via HDMI if you upgrade your TV later.

here is the feature differences between Pioneer 610 and 410 which i have posted in other thread.

Pioneer DV410 has Sound equalizer and 610 doesn't have it.

Pioneer 610 has these additional features over 410

Plays DVD-Audio
Plays SACD
It's divx ultra certified,
It has 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter (6ch) compared to 96khz/24 bit of 410
Has DTS 96/24 Decoder
Has DTS 5.1 decoder
Has Dolby Digital 5.1-Channel Decoder
Has BNR Block NR & Ringing NR which means better Picture quality

Thanks, Prakash

here is the feature differences between Pioneer 610 and 410 which i have posted in other thread.

Pioneer DV410 has Sound equalizer and 610 doesn't have it.

Pioneer 610 has these additional features over 410

1.Plays DVD-Audio
2.Plays SACD
3.It's divx ultra certified,
4.It has 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter (6ch) compared to 96khz/24 bit of 410
5.Has DTS 96/24 Decoder
6.Has DTS 5.1 decoder
7.Has Dolby Digital 5.1-Channel Decoder
8.Has BNR Block NR & Ringing NR which means better Picture quality

Thanks, Prakash

Thanks for correcting me.
Feature 3: Is "ultra" certification noticeable in PQ?
I think feature 4&5&7 are related to 1&2?
Feature 6. Can be ignored if you have a AVR with DTS decoding.
Feature 8: Not sure if it really makes any visual effect?

Practically, I did not find any visible PQ difference between 410 & 610.

Hello all,

Are both 410 and 610 region free ?
Has anyone found a work around for the issue of not playing VOB files from USB ?

I would like to pair one of these (yet to buy) to my Samsung 40A650.

Thanks
zorro

I initially (Feb 2009) I had bought 410 (black) from grey market for Rs. 4.8K, later in one week I changed to 610 (silver) for 6.5K, as I managed to source a good collection of DVD Audio.

Where did you get DVD-Audio disks in India?

Regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back