Oppo 981H or Pioneer DV 610

They shud; we buy enuff of their products in India in any case :))).

Anyway, I believe black in Jap lingo is "Kuro"; so K cud be for Kuro actually....

Good one :):) . Maybe the Japs are learning Hindi.

Cheers

Yes, they maybe still learning Hindi now. But when you start finding "S" for gold and "C" for silver, then we can assume that they have mastered it.:D

Anyway, I believe black in Jap lingo is "Kuro"; so K cud be for Kuro actually....

I think you are 99.99% correct. But I did what the Yanks do so unashamedly. Translate everything to suit their own understanding of a language or culture.

Cheers

RAC, if you are talking about the 610, it does upscale to 1080P and is really very good for movies. I use my Pioneers more often that my Oppo. I usually reserve the use of the Oppo for playing music.

Cheers

Hi venkatcr, I have heard that the music performance on both, Oppo 980 & Pio 610 are similar. Pioneer uses the Burr Brown PCM1742 DAC.

Can you comment on this?

Hi venkatcr, I have heard that the music performance on both, Oppo 980 & Pio 610 are similar. Pioneer uses the Burr Brown PCM1742 DAC.

Can you comment on this?

I beleive you ,but where did you get that information?
Secondly not only DAC,but better board layout,componets do improve sound.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware of Pio 610
FAQ for Pioneer DV-610AV

V2.0
- Based on new original firmware, YJC8919.
- Show all chars in USB mode.
- Long file names in USB(JPEG preview in USB mode is not turned off)
- DivX subtitles as in original firmware.

How good is 610 at playing scratched or Pirated Discs? My local dealer is offering it at 6.5 Grey. But, He says that 610 will counter problems in reading many disks. He says even If I duplicate a original, it will not play.

I have my doubts about his opinoin. And , I don't intend to play a lot pirated disks. I will play majority of originals. But, I will play many old ones(DVD,MP3 CDs), so I am concerned If it will give me pronblems.

Pl share ur experinces of playing old,scratched,pirated disks on 610 with me.

Regards,

Yogesh.

How good is 610 at playing scratched or Pirated Discs? My local dealer is offering it at 6.5 Grey. But, He says that 610 will counter problems in reading many disks. He says even If I duplicate a original, it will not play.

I have my doubts about his opinoin. And , I don't intend to play a lot pirated disks. I will play majority of originals. But, I will play many old ones(DVD,MP3 CDs), so I am concerned If it will give me pronblems.

Regards,

Yogesh.

Pioneer 610 is a good strong player. I have played many old discs without any problems. I have not tested "scratched" discs as such. Back up discs not playing is not true.

Price is OK. Are the black ones (DV-610AV-K) available?

Hi Yogesh,

Personally, I would not recommend playing scratched disks on the player. Is one scratched DVD or CD worth risking the lens? And even if it plays, you might experience brief pauses, pixelations, etc.

A better option is to copy and burn the DVD on a DVD-R. Regarding pirated disks, they are nothing but DVD-R's, and these play perfectly on my 610. I haven't faced a problem yet; been using it since last 3 months.

Regards,

Yogesh.

Hi Yogesh,

Pioneer 610 is a strong player. I am using it for last 6 months. It has played all the discs that i have slipped in.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Can scratched cd/dvd do anything bad to the lens? There shouldn't be any mechanical contact between the two.

regards

Hi Yogesh,

Personally, I would not recommend playing scratched disks on the player. Is one scratched DVD or CD worth risking the lens? And even if it plays, you might experience brief pauses, pixelations, etc.

A better option is to copy and burn the DVD on a DVD-R. Regarding pirated disks, they are nothing but DVD-R's, and these play perfectly on my 610. I haven't faced a problem yet; been using it since last 3 months.

Can scratched cd/dvd do anything bad to the lens? There shouldn't be any mechanical contact between the two.

regards

No contacts with disc of course!
I think it maybe about the lens assembly/ circuit working harder or overtime to read poor discs, resulting in wear & tear of that mechanism.

regards

I have experienced this with my DVD writer that if I insert a scratched disk, not only does it take some time to read it but subsequent clean disks also take time to read for a day or 2, which is the reason I said that it is not worth risking the lens. As said by reju too, the lens is working overtime to read the bad sectors. I second that. Hope this clarifies my statement.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back