Oppo and Cambridge Audio DVD Players

Unfortunately I only have a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1420), which has an S-video / SPDIF port, would that be of any use? anyway, i don't want a setup where i need to plug my laptop in for it to work, i need a dedicated source, which is why i am thinking of the DVD 99, and of course if we can in the process do a shootout that many people seem to keen to know the results of, why not??

If you already have a PC then all you would need is a good soundcard (the Asus Xonar Essence STX costing 8K is audiophile quality) and this alone will give great output considering you would already have a PC and all the s/w required to play any media is free. For digital out even a basic soundcard costing Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1200 will do.

If you don't have a PC then assembling a decent rig will cost around 20K and in this case I would say the CA DVD99 is obviously the better choice. Cannot say about SQ between both since I've only used a PC, a budget DVDP from Philips or a high end Sony CDP and from among them the PC obviously wins for me.

The Audioengines are great as I'm sure you are very much aware. Just love them myself. If and when you get the A5s move the A2s to the TV or a DVDP for movie and TV watching (in the event you're not running a HT rig at home). A couple of my friends got the A5 just to connect to their plasma/LCDs and now really enjoy great audio along with great video.

Unfortunately I only have a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1420), which has an S-video / SPDIF port, would that be of any use? anyway, i don't want a setup where i need to plug my laptop in for it to work, i need a dedicated source, which is why i am thinking of the DVD 99, and of course if we can in the process do a shootout that many people seem to keen to know the results of, why not??

SPDIF is perfect. Only problem is laptops are not easily upgradeable hence it becomes a problem to upgrade the HDD and change soundcards, etc. For the said budget I would say the CA DVD99 is the obvious choice here and I don't think anyone will really want to assemble/purchase a PC just to play music on. It's another thing if you already have a PC. Getting great output from it is very easy and cost effective too with just going in for a good soundcard.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back