Oppo and Cambridge Audio DVD Players

Hi Sushanth,

Congrats on DV99! Have a blast!

Hi Guys!

please count me in for the shootout, that is if venkat will have me:)

cheers,
sri

Congratulations, let me know once you've settled down with it, and when you are game for the "ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL PLAYER UNDER 15k SHOWDOWN".

@psychotropic, @venkatcr sir and others participating...

Since Venkat sir has a HDD based system for listening to music how about throwing that too into the loop/test and sharing yours thoughts on its performance too and how it compares/stands/performs against the Oppo, CA and anything else you might take to the test.

good idea, although venkatji still hasn't agreed to having the showdown at his place at all :).

Just to ask you Moser. I am thinking of getting a DVD99 as a source for my Audioengine 2s (might upgrade to 5s but leave that aside) and my samsung plasma. Assuming a price for 13k for the DVD99, what price for a PC based source would you be talking about that is competitive?

@psychotropic, @venkatcr sir and others participating...

Since Venkat sir has a HDD based system for listening to music how about throwing that too into the loop/test and sharing yours thoughts on its performance too and how it compares/stands/performs against the Oppo, CA and anything else you might take to the test.

I couldnt hold on any longer.. just went and picked up DV99 and auditioned it at Grand Cinema itself..... one word- FANTABULOUS :yahoo:.... They were using a Pioneer DV600 and compared both.... DV99 was much better both in PQ and SQ... Music when played in stereo mode was superb and could safely be compared to an CDP/AMP .... I am sure not better .... but definitely a big leap from normal DVDps...

Big review will be here very soon after i check how it works with my system..

Picture- I played a few DVDs (Anniyan, Bourne ultimatum,Black Hawk down)... The picture was definitely much better than pioneer. The colour was deep. One thing i noticed was the DVDp took a few seconds longer to load and the tray though robust makes a little noise ...The picture didnt have any jagged edges(thru over head projection-Panasonic)(yet to check from my PV8

Sound- Now this is where the goodies lie... could hear a huge difference when audio CDs were played..didnt play any SACD .... the audio reproduction was flawless and i heard some sounds which i never heard in anniyan( the dojo fight )

I got it for 13000 from Grand Cinema(Ajmal-9884415122)

Will spend the weekend playing and testing how it works in my humble setup. I tested it now with Denon1909 and with a basic marantz 3001... both were sonically superb in music.. but i would say the Denon handles movie surround better ....

good idea, although venkatji still hasn't agreed to having the showdown at his place at all :).

Just to ask you Moser. I am thinking of getting a DVD99 as a source for my Audioengine 2s (might upgrade to 5s but leave that aside) and my samsung plasma. Assuming a price for 13k for the DVD99, what price for a PC based source would you be talking about that is competitive?

If you already have a PC then all you would need is a good soundcard (the Asus Xonar Essence STX costing 8K is audiophile quality) and this alone will give great output considering you would already have a PC and all the s/w required to play any media is free. For digital out even a basic soundcard costing Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1200 will do.

If you don't have a PC then assembling a decent rig will cost around 20K and in this case I would say the CA DVD99 is obviously the better choice. Cannot say about SQ between both since I've only used a PC, a budget DVDP from Philips or a high end Sony CDP and from among them the PC obviously wins for me.

The Audioengines are great as I'm sure you are very much aware. Just love them myself. If and when you get the A5s move the A2s to the TV or a DVDP for movie and TV watching (in the event you're not running a HT rig at home). A couple of my friends got the A5 just to connect to their plasma/LCDs and now really enjoy great audio along with great video.

If you already have a PC then all you would need is a good soundcard (the Asus Xonar Essence STX costing 8K is audiophile quality) and this alone will give great output considering you would already have a PC and all the s/w required to play any media is free. For digital out even a basic soundcard costing Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1200 will do.

If you don't have a PC then assembling a decent rig will cost around 20K and in this case I would say the CA DVD99 is obviously the better choice. Cannot say about SQ between both since I've only used a PC, a budget DVDP from Philips or a high end Sony CDP and from among them the PC obviously wins for me.

The Audioengines are great as I'm sure you are very much aware. Just love them myself. If and when you get the A5s move the A2s to the TV or a DVDP for movie and TV watching (in the event you're not running a HT rig at home). A couple of my friends got the A5 just to connect to their plasma/LCDs and now really enjoy great audio along with great video.

So the price of Xonar gone down?

what is your current setup? denon, marantz or onkyo (as per your signature)?

Will spend the weekend playing and testing how it works in my humble setup. I tested it now with Denon1909 and with a basic marantz 3001... both were sonically superb in music.. but i would say the Denon handles movie surround better ....

what is your current setup? denon, marantz or onkyo (as per your signature)?

The denon and marantz were at Grand cinema .. They had kept them for auditioning... i auditioned the player right there and got the package with me

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back