Oppo and Cambridge Audio DVD Players

No DVD99 volunteeres in Chennai? else can anyone volunteer their Oppo 980 (on the same terms....i pick you up etc.,) so that we can take it to cressida AV zone or something to compare? (Cressida will ahve DVD99s in stock).

Psychotropic, you really cannot audition at Cressida. They have human traffic all the time, and I am not sure how long they will allow you to sit there and listen to music.

Cheers

Hi,

I got a quote of Rs 13500/- for dv99 from cressida. Though i want to get my hands on an Oppo 980H, there is no way i will be getting it in the near future.
There are people in US who can get it for me from there. But none of them are coming to India for now.:sad: So if some one can assure me this dv99 comes close to the Oppo i will gladly go for it.

cheers,
sri

@srikarkav- I got a quote of 13000 for DV99 from grand cinema

@all- will it make sense to buy the DV99 and also use it as a CDP .. reviews say it is sonically good for music too.. whats your take on CA 540 Dv2?

i've spent a bit of time there, and i've also bought something from them....i was one of their first customers....so he'll let me audition, not a worry.....i agree about the human traffic, but i think a reasonable audition can be managed, with a CA 540A amplifier, and maybe a Dali or Mordaunt Short pair of speakers. I just need you to volunteer your Oppo :D. It will be a service to a ton of people. If more people are enthu (to volunteer your CD players) we could perhaps make it a "what's the best CD source under 15k" shootout :). What say?

Psychotropic, you really cannot audition at Cressida. They have human traffic all the time, and I am not sure how long they will allow you to sit there and listen to music.

Cheers

If more people are enthu (to volunteer your CD players) we could perhaps make it a "what's the best CD source under 15k" shootout :). What say?

I can answer that, but will probably be termed biased. The answer is of course a PC. It just keeps getting better and better with improvements/advancements in technology and will pretty soon beat all CDPs hands down.

Ok, now the flaming can start... I know I asked for it!!!

I can answer that, but will probably be termed biased. The answer is of course a PC. It just keeps getting better and better with improvements/advancements in technology and will pretty soon beat all CDPs hands down.

Ok, now the flaming can start... I know I asked for it!!!

moserw,..ur prob right.for the sheer tonnage of file supports the pc is definitely a no brainer.although when it comes to stand alone components for the same usage(at least audio/video),this sort of comparo would be a worthwhile exercise.also,considering there are so many singing the oppos tune,how about one for the cambridge audio folks??cheers

moserw,..ur prob right.for the sheer tonnage of file supports the pc is definitely a no brainer.although when it comes to stand alone components for the same usage(at least audio/video),this sort of comparo would be a worthwhile exercise.also,considering there are so many singing the oppos tune,how about one for the cambridge audio folks??cheers

Oh yeah, the Oppo is actually pretty good. I have the 983 and used it as a source with Wharfedales once and it was pretty musical. I don't remember the amp, come to think of it I think it was a HK, but not too sure. Mainly though the Oppo works great with the PV8 especially for DVDs and Divx rips. The main grouch with a standalone CDP is having to hunt and change CDs and also keeping the CDs safe. I'm most fanatic about my CDs, DVDs and books, and don't really like anyone else handling them. Don't know about piracy but I will gladly make a copy and hand it out rather than give the original anyday. I still remember getting all of Jeniffer Lopez's CDs for around 3K and having a friend borrow them all and who still has not returned them... Ouch that still pinches!!! Even my MJ Invincible CD is with that guy...

Oh yeah, the Oppo is actually pretty good. I have the 983 and used it as a source with Wharfedales once and it was pretty musical. I don't remember the amp, come to think of it I think it was a HK, but not too sure. Mainly though the Oppo works great with the PV8 especially for DVDs and Divx rips. The main grouch with a standalone CDP is having to hunt and change CDs and also keeping the CDs safe. I'm most fanatic about my CDs, DVDs and books, and don't really like anyone else handling them. Don't know about piracy but I will gladly make a copy and hand it out rather than give the original anyday. I still remember getting all of Jeniffer Lopez's CDs for around 3K and having a friend borrow them all and who still has not returned them... Ouch that still pinches!!! Even my MJ Invincible CD is with that guy...

been there :sad:

Any suggestions on CA DV99 / CA 540 Dv2.... How good are they compared to OPPO? I see that many here are trying to audition both but i am sure someone here would own DV99/540D.. so any info about the performance would be great

The DVD99 is apparently very very good with video and audio. From what I read i gather it is superior to the 540D. I read a very detailed and scientific test where it outperformed several Faroudja DCDi equipped players as well. In that shootout there was the DVD99, the Oppo 983, A Marantz DVD player, a Denon 1940, and a Yamaha DVD player. In terms of video quality the DVD99 was only beaten by the Oppo 983, and to buy in India the 983 costs at least double of what the DVD99 does. In audio, I think it was beaten by the Marantz and the 983, but overall I believe it would be in second place below the 983, and that's pretty respectable.

This is the one Playback - July 2008 Let the magazine load up, and then from the contents page, access the DVD player shootout. It's a very nice detailed review.

The DVD99 is apparently very very good with video and audio. From what I read i gather it is superior to the 540D. I read a very detailed and scientific test where it outperformed several Faroudja DCDi equipped players as well. In that shootout there was the DVD99, the Oppo 983, A Marantz DVD player, a Denon 1940, and a Yamaha DVD player. In terms of video quality the DVD99 was only beaten by the Oppo 983, and to buy in India the 983 costs at least double of what the DVD99 does. In audio, I think it was beaten by the Marantz and the 983, but overall I believe it would be in second place below the 983, and that's pretty respectable.

This is the one Playback - July 2008 Let the magazine load up, and then from the contents page, access the DVD player shootout. It's a very nice detailed review.

Went thru the complete link... now i am sure i can safely go for it... I was planning to buy DV99 by this sunday so just wanted to know from the forum members here(read a few reviews but i believe more in people who vouch for it).. Also checked with the dealer and he has stock of this player

Last edited:
And as a token of appreciation for our help, do volunteer your DVD99 so we can do a shootout with Venkatji's Oppo 980. :)

Went thru the complete link... now i am sure i can safely go for it... I was planning to buy DV99 by this sunday so just wanted to know from the forum members here(read a few reviews but i believe more in people who vouch for it).. Also checked with the dealer and he has stock of this player

Went ahead and ordered CA DV99 from Grand Cinema.. will be picking it up tmrw :)

Also would have an audition of WH2 centre and surround and also the 9cc centre.If things are fine i will take them too...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back