Oppo DV-983H - The Ultimate DVD player?

raptor77

Hi, got this much-praised player 3 months ago and so thought I'd share a brief review. Won't be a technical review since there are plenty of those available online.

The Oppo comes in a box that looks like any other. But inside it is carefully packed and wrapped in a soft cloth bag to prevent scratches. Nice touch. HDMI cable is included - very nice touch and just shows up so many manufacturers who are too cheap to even provide a component cable in their alleged 'hi-end' DVD players! The black brushed metal look is great and the it feels sturdy - as does the tray.

Out of the box the picture was great but with some little tweaks, it was exquisite. I use a Panny EDTV plasma so I'm not talking about an upscaled picture here - just the standard 480p. Though Oppo recommends leaving the brightness, contrast & sharpness controls to zero, I found my picture improved if I adjusted the contrast up a bit. Which reminds me - Oppo has the most appealing manual I've read - they talk to the point & at relevant places give gyaan, but not too much.

Anyway back to the picture - it is sharp, clear and has depth. Really feels like you're watching a movie at the theatre. The crispness astounds me esp since I have my TV & player sharpness set to zero. I've used players from Samsung, Pioneer, HK & Sony and the Oppo has them beat. Of course the killer app for me is the removal of all types of jaggies, waving lines, shimmering (think window blinds in any movie scene), colour blobs, shuddering etc. One may not notice it but that also contributes to the crispness & depth of the picture. Makes you realise it was almost never the DVD's fault - its usually your player which is screwing up. All this thanks to the ABT VRS chip which I understand is one of the best, if not the best, video processors today. I haven't seen the scaler in action obviously but will report as and when I do.

Something else I really appreciate is the aspect ratio & zoom controls. For someone like me with hundreds of old & new DVDs with all types of aspect ratios and incorrect mastering in some cases, its a blessing. You can ensure that your widescreen TV displays the full picture on almost any DVD.

Hygiene stuff is all there: outputs for component, HDMI, 7.1 channel analogue audio. Remember that the VRS solution is not available through the component out so your TV needs to have atleast an HDCP compliant HDMI 1.1 input.

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!

Yes it upscales all the way to 1080p. Cost me $415 with shipping to the US and a friend brought it over to me. Costs 42K if you buy it from Oppo in India.

Hi, got this much-praised player 3 months ago and so thought I'd share a brief review. Won't be a technical review since there are plenty of those available online.

The Oppo comes in a box that looks like any other. But inside it is carefully packed and wrapped in a soft cloth bag to prevent scratches. Nice touch. HDMI cable is included - very nice touch and just shows up so many manufacturers who are too cheap to even provide a component cable in their alleged 'hi-end' DVD players! The black brushed metal look is great and the it feels sturdy - as does the tray.

Out of the box the picture was great but with some little tweaks, it was exquisite. I use a Panny EDTV plasma so I'm not talking about an upscaled picture here - just the standard 480p. Though Oppo recommends leaving the brightness, contrast & sharpness controls to zero, I found my picture improved if I adjusted the contrast up a bit. Which reminds me - Oppo has the most appealing manual I've read - they talk to the point & at relevant places give gyaan, but not too much.

Anyway back to the picture - it is sharp, clear and has depth. Really feels like you're watching a movie at the theatre. The crispness astounds me esp since I have my TV & player sharpness set to zero. I've used players from Samsung, Pioneer, HK & Sony and the Oppo has them beat. Of course the killer app for me is the removal of all types of jaggies, waving lines, shimmering (think window blinds in any movie scene), colour blobs, shuddering etc. One may not notice it but that also contributes to the crispness & depth of the picture. Makes you realise it was almost never the DVD's fault - its usually your player which is screwing up. All this thanks to the ABT VRS chip which I understand is one of the best, if not the best, video processors today. I haven't seen the scaler in action obviously but will report as and when I do.

Something else I really appreciate is the aspect ratio & zoom controls. For someone like me with hundreds of old & new DVDs with all types of aspect ratios and incorrect mastering in some cases, its a blessing. You can ensure that your widescreen TV displays the full picture on almost any DVD.

Hygiene stuff is all there: outputs for component, HDMI, 7.1 channel analogue audio. Remember that the VRS solution is not available through the component out so your TV needs to have atleast an HDCP compliant HDMI 1.1 input.

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!

Did you listen stereo music?Tell me more abt high Q sound.

hi

how about stero playback. does it beat avg CDP.

I heard the Oppo 980 is sufficient if you want good sound and no need of upscaling( if your avr is handling that).

regards

Congrats, where did you buy it from and how much ?

I remember i was so surprised to see this player correct all the jaggies,errors in the the Mohabbatein DVD i own which is probably the worst dvd ever made quality wise since my old HK player could never correct any of these errors.

Anyone compared this to an ATI 4XXX/3XXX video card? Any clue how much this player scores on HQV tests? AFAIK the best DVD players these days at sane prices are PCs.

Though I dont own the 983, I have seen a few in action! Its also a universal player (CDs, DVDs, SACD, DVD-A, DVD-R, usb based input:) and lots more

Roughly speaking its the best combination of 981 (superb video playback) and 980 (stellar audio playback) though with a newer video chip.

Its comparable to high end universal players from Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI) and Very high end Sony, Players. One thing to keep in mind that with Blu Ray players dropping in price around the world, Oppo does ahve still competion but it is no slouch. It will beat all standard & upscaling DVD players hands down for A & V.

If you have try analog audio (7.1 or 5.1 chanel with DVD-A or SACD, then its musical nirvana).

One more hat off to Oppo engineers.

Hi guys, the 983 sounds pretty good with CDs as well. Its not harsh and bright (read treble emphasis) like most other DVD players tend to be with stereo audio. Mid-range is clear and good. Haven't tested it with analog outputs though - its hooked up thru a Yamaha AVR. Though I don't think any DVD player including this one can beat a quality CDP for stereo.

I have a DVD audio which i tested with and it was superb - don't have any SACDs :( but you're welcome to bring some over and we can have a blast! Am based in Blr.

On video the 983 is unmatched. Like someone else said, it just makes all the unpleasant jaggies and shimmering disappear! Think its the only player to score a 100 on the secrets benchmark test. So going by that this player bests every Pio Elite or Denon. Sony, if you ask me, is not even in the same league.

Congrats, where did you buy it from and how much ?

I remember i was so surprised to see this player correct all the jaggies,errors in the the Mohabbatein DVD i own which is probably the worst dvd ever made quality wise since my old HK player could never correct any of these errors.

Bought it from Oppo online in the US... $413 with shipping to a local address.

If folks are looking in the used market, Oppo's are very hard to come by. Another excellent universal player is Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi

It used to be very expensive when it came out but the price has dropped considerably. It matches very closely with the 983 (some even say its got better video processing! though its all relative). Right now it goes for ~30 - 40% of its original cost.

So, given this Oppo 983 can be called one of the best but not "the ultimate" universal player (its not DVD alone :)

Anyone compared this to an ATI 4XXX/3XXX video card? Any clue how much this player scores on HQV tests? AFAIK the best DVD players these days at sane prices are PCs.

Not really compared. But as far as i have read i an say that they would be as good or marginally better. The ps3's cell processor does such a good job of sd dvd's i would say a ATI 4X/3X would do really good with all the power in a computer combined.

I have in my dell studio 17 the ATI HD 3850 and it does a great job for native 1080p and upscaling. I hooked it up via hdmi to the Panasonic AE2000 to watch Om Shanti Om Blu Ray rip and my my what a visual treat. Detailing was just oozing out of the screen. Recently realized even bollywood divas have fine blemishes on their skin.

PC's are not the best dvd players at sane prices. Oppo players are :D
Pc's are the best all round solutions at sane prices.

Pls tell me the website?Is it very reliable?
Did you have custom issue?

It is reliable and safe, but will prove to be more expensive with freight charges, customs duty, etc. Much better to have someone who is coming to carry it instead.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back