Oppo launches $279 BD80 blu-ray player

Also the kit can be bought for less. Try giving a counter offer of 50 USD and try. I bought the one for 70 USD but saw 50 USD in the shipping invoice, so the seller might just sell for 50 USD also

Mishrpi

All the time I was thinking that Oppo is a region free player :-(

Guys, just a small question, how to buy a already mod chip kitted region free player? And how much would that cost? Any reliable seller? Anyone in Bangalore national market or places like that? I don't want to mess up with the circuitry of a new player by modding it myself(as I;m not good at it).
Or should I just buy a region A player for 110/120$(thinking about Sony S360) and save money to buy movies? Already have a PS3 for playing region C(althuogh I don't see any region C specific discs yet)

The mod for oppo involves putting a cable similar to the old dot mtrix printer serial cable. The ones for panasonic are a bit more complex as they involve soldering. There are no offical oppo dealers in India. Sony would be very difficult to mod so may not be a great choice. Since there are many who have modded panasonics you can take their help. There is a thread on bd60.

It appears the BD-80 will not do a great job of upscaling standard videos as the BD-83? Is that true?Owners of BD-80 who have compared with BD-83 please comment.

Regards

it's acking the ABT VRS chip so without doubt it will not upscale and deinterlace video as well as the BD83, the BD83 will do to DVDs what the Oppo 983 used ot do, the BD80 will do to DVDs what the Oppo 980 used to do. It's still excellent value and for screen sizes of 42" or less Oppo themselves used to recommend the 980 over the 983.

It appears the BD-80 will not do a great job of upscaling standard videos as the BD-83? Is that true?Owners of BD-80 who have compared with BD-83 please comment.

Regards

If you check the thread, I have given a link comparing all leading blu ray players.
The Bd80 is considered as a high quality transport which will faithfully transport using HDMI. With the non-HDMI output, the scaling is done using a mediatek all-in-one chip rather than a dedicated ABT scaler in the 83. However, the upscaling as per Oppo is comparable to the 983 which is by no means a poor upscaler. Also, the difference is likely to be more apparent in large size of screens (I would assume > 46" or more towards projectors).

If you check the thread, I have given a link comparing all leading blu ray players.
The Bd80 is considered as a high quality transport which will faithfully transport using HDMI. With the non-HDMI output, the scaling is done using a mediatek all-in-one chip rather than a dedicated ABT scaler in the 83. However, the upscaling as per Oppo is comparable to the 983 which is by no means a poor upscaler. Also, the difference is likely to be more apparent in large size of screens (I would assume > 46" or more towards projectors).

Hmm when I read between the lines on the review posted below, I begin to think the BD-80 is only good for content that is already Hi-Def 720p or 180p.
Because it is recommended more as transport with an external hi quality upscaler. You know how these reviews are cleverly worded to mask the shortcomings of the product ... ;)

But as Psycho said, if it uses the same mediatek chip like in 980H or 983H then it should perform the same as the earlier models which were quiet successful.

Thanks guys.

Regards

Pan 80 has its own video processor(Chrom?) for upscaling & not mediatek.Better than mediatek.

Pan 80 has its own video processor(Chrom?) for upscaling & not mediatek.Better than mediatek.

Why do you say that, are there any comparisons? The reviews I had seen said they were comparable or the oppo was slightly better.

BTW, I am pulling the trigger on the bdp83 and getting it through a colleague. Any suggestions on whether its safe to put it in between clothes in check-in bags or there are other ways to get it?

Any suggestions on whether its safe to put it in between clothes in check-in bags or there are other ways to get it?

If your colleague does not have too much hand baggage, ask him to carry it by hand. I just wrapped the Oppo 983 with a rope and carried it by hand, crooning to it all the way from the US. :)

Cheers

Thought of that, but with customs in the US being such a pain, they may keep asking him to open the full package and re-packaging might be difficult. I guess you would have got the 983 some time back or atleast before 9/11

Any suggestions on whether its safe to put it in between clothes in check-in bags[/QUOTE said:
i have done that with two of my oppo players. 981 and now bdp-80. no problems at all

Thought of that, but with customs in the US being such a pain, they may keep asking him to open the full package and re-packaging might be difficult. I guess you would have got the 983 some time back or atleast before 9/11

I got it last year. The US don't care about what leaves their country. They only worry about what comes in. The player will go through the X-Ray machine and that is it.

Cheers.

One silly question maybe. Does the Anchor Bay VRS technology make a world of difference?

All upscalers do make a difference, albeit to varying degrees. VRS by Anchor Bay is one of the best in the world. If you watch the same DVD on a DVD player powered by a VRS engine, and another powered by some other engine, you can see a visible difference in the picture quality.

Cheers

One silly question maybe. Does the Anchor Bay VRS technology make a world of difference?

Anchor Bay makes a huge difference, but even more is how its implemented. For example, the higher end Denon AVR's also use the same chip but give much lesser options in upscaling than what Oppo gives to scale accurately to different screen sizes and different sources (PAL/NTSC DVD's).

Again all this makes a difference depending upon size of screens and the viewing distance.

they would certainly be worried if you attempted to take Megan Fox out of the US to India ;)

I got it last year. The US don't care about what leaves their country. They only worry about what comes in. The player will go through the X-Ray machine and that is it.

Cheers.

they would certainly be worried if you attempted to take Megan Fox out of the US to India ;)

Well if I did try that, I am sure she will claw my skin and scream her head off. Maybe, just maybe, the US authorities will take pity on me and help me by pushing her into the aircraft. One less thing to worry about for them, see? Anyhow Megan Fox is certainly handful (literally) as compared to poor old Oppo. :). :)

Cheers

def more handful and also comes with all required ports.

Well if I did try that, I am sure she will claw my skin and scream her head off. Maybe, just maybe, the US authorities will take pity on me and help me by pushing her into the aircraft. One less thing to worry about for them, see? Anyhow Megan Fox is certainly handful (literally) as compared to poor old Oppo. :). :)

Cheers

Back