Oppo launches $279 BD80 blu-ray player

This I am not very sure, but it appears that via the HDMI cable the 80 will only pass through the signals and I will be dependent on the TV scaler esp. if I am watching BD.

Whoa! Can naybody confirm this? I plan to use it primarily for SD video with upscaling!!

Anyways my monitor does have component in, but If I'm not getting benefits of upscaling then I might as well use an HTPC for everything. I mean I want to avoid spending on a good quality component-in cable. Right now I'm already paying $100 extra over the 980H for unwanted blue-ray ...

Regards

Last edited:
Hi gobble,

This thread may prove useful to you. Seems there are two views about the scaling abilities of BD83 and BD80.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18085453

cheers,
sri

Thanks Srikar

After going through a few pages, i realize the nitpicking will never end. Guess I should just buy it and forget about it and enjoy peace of mind knowing that it is a very decently reviewed and appreciated player worldwide ... :)

Regards

Whoa! Can naybody confirm this? I plan to use it primarily for SD video with upscaling!!

Anyways my monitor does have component in, but If I'm not getting benefits of upscaling then I might as well use an HTPC for everything. I mean I want to avoid spending on a good quality component-in cable. Right now I'm already paying $100 extra over the 980H for unwanted blue-ray ...

I think Sud was referring to pass through of BD images. Since the native images are 1080P by nature, there would be no need to process them.

If you are going to use component cable, irrespective of what units you have the max, scaling that can be achieved is 720P. If you want 1080P, you have to go HDMI.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think Sud was referring to pass through of BD images. Since the native images are 1080P by nature, there would be no need to process them.

If you are going to use component cable, irrespective of what units you have the max scaling that can be achieved is 720P. If you want 1080P, you have to go HDMI.

Cheers

Cool, I dont want to use component. I already have 2 hdmi cables when I dont even watch movies or TV (atleast not until I get the Oppo).

Thanks guys.

Regards

Thanks Srikar

After going through a few pages, i realize the nitpicking will never end. Guess I should just buy it and forget about it and enjoy peace of mind knowing that it is a very decently reviewed and appreciated player worldwide ... :)

Regards

Yes.I think any Oppo is a value for money player.I am very happy with my 980H.
If i can get the BD80 from US for around 13K i will definitely get it and let the 980 go to any one of our forum members.:)

cheers,
sri

Yes.I think any Oppo is a value for money player.I am very happy with my 980H.
If i can get the BD80 from US for around 13K i will definitely get it and let the 980 go to any one of our forum members.:)

cheers,
sri

Whats the price difference between a 980H and BD80?

Cheers

Went ahead and bought the 83. So gobble if you buy the 80, lets do a A/B test from audio/video so that it can help others decide. Hopefully, I will find something better in the 83 :)

Went ahead and bought the 83. So gobble if you buy the 80, lets do a A/B test from audio/video so that it can help others decide. Hopefully, I will find something better in the 83 :)

Unfortunately I am hard pressed for time for a few months atleast.

someday maybe ... :)

Cheers

So just to clear my doubts, with BD-80 I wouldn't miss anything in terms of Blu-ray play-back, right?
And for DVD playback, will it be better to use the AVR (1910) or use the onboard mediatek? I'm assuming it's better than the Pioneer 600AV for upscalling?
If the audio quality for playing CD's is also better than the Pio then I can retire the Pio all together. Am I right?
And about the reading a HDD is concerned, can it read NTFS formatted HDD's? Or it should only be FAT32?
Please let me know guys, I wanna make a decision and buy a player soon. Other player I was considering was a Sony s360, and purely only for BD playback and the cheaper price(125$). If I go for this player then I'll still keep on using the Pio for the DVD and audio playbacks.

blu-ray playback is likely to be virtually identical

Since the 1910 has the ABT VRS chip, it might be useful to let it do the DVD upscaling, but you could compare the two and pick whichever looks better to you.

The BD80 is likely to be a superior audio CD player than the Pioneer and I am pretty sure you can retire your Pioneer completely.

It can only read FAT32 as far as i know.

I think you should go for the BD80 and retire the Pioneer. Pay the little bit extra for the backlit remote and you'll be a happy camper I am pretty sure.

So just to clear my doubts, with BD-80 I wouldn't miss anything in terms of Blu-ray play-back, right?
And for DVD playback, will it be better to use the AVR (1910) or use the onboard mediatek? I'm assuming it's better than the Pioneer 600AV for upscalling?
If the audio quality for playing CD's is also better than the Pio then I can retire the Pio all together. Am I right?
And about the reading a HDD is concerned, can it read NTFS formatted HDD's? Or it should only be FAT32?
Please let me know guys, I wanna make a decision and buy a player soon. Other player I was considering was a Sony s360, and purely only for BD playback and the cheaper price(125$). If I go for this player then I'll still keep on using the Pio for the DVD and audio playbacks.

One of the key reasons to buy would be to make it region free versus the Sony which is close to impossible.
+1 to the other points made by psychotropic.

Yeah, ease of moding is definitely a criteria. I think I'm almost sold on the oppo. About the mod kit, are all these sites that are mentioned in some of the posts are reliable? Just want to make sure.

I have bought mine from bluraychip.dk found it better than bluraymods as the mod kit is a simple cable unlike the soldering kit and chip in bluraymods for the Oppo.

I can certify the site once I receive the mod kit.

Last edited:
I have bought mine from bluraychip.dk found it better than bluraymods as the mod kit is a simple cable unlike the soldering kit and chip in bluraymods for the Oppo.

I can certify the site once I receive the mod kit.

So you've received the kit or waiting? From where do they ship the item? Where've you got the pointer to this bluraychip.dk site?

I agree with what has been recommended re getting the Oppo BD 80 & letting the Avr 1910 do the DVD upscaling ; re the region unlocking mod for the BD, plz see Ashish kesarwanis' relevant post in the Oppo BD83 thread where he's given pics of a simple hardware mod which involves just unplugging an existing cable & plugging in the mod cable- no soldering etc involved.It appears to hae worked very well for him.
Plz also remember that while you can connect an external HDD of upto 2TB to the Oppo, it would have to be in FAT 32. Since the max file size in FAT 32 is 4 gb, .mkv files would not be supported.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back