Oppo launches $279 BD80 blu-ray player

psychotropic

Oppo has launched a cheap version of its BD83 blu ray player. Featuring the same transport and mechanical bits, but without the Anchor Bay VRS technology , the BD80 looks like a stripped to the basics BD player. It still plays DVD-A and SACD and has 7.1 analogue outs. Still plays MKV off your hard disk. I am looking forward to reviews of this baby, because it's at a price range where it can take on the Panasonics, the Samsungs, the Sonys and the Pioneers.

The PR is below:
------------------------
The BDP-80 is a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live and BonusView), DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), HDCD, CD and other popular media formats such as AVCHD, MKV video files, digital photos and music. Sharing the same decoder and similarly optimized firmware as OPPOs award-winning BDP-83, the BDP-80 features fast disc load times, quick response to user operations, and robust audio and video controls. In contrast to the BDP-83, which utilizes an onboard VRS by Anchor Bay video processor, the BDP-80 design has been optimized for use as a digital audio/video transport, emphasizing the accuracy of its digital audio/video outputs. At the same time, the BDP-80 is versatile enough to be used as a stand-alone universal Blu-ray player, thanks to its full array of output connections and audio/video decoding capabilities.

For video, the BDP-80 features an HDMI 1.3 port that supports 1080p Full HD, 1080p 24Hz, Deep Color and Source Direct modes. Component video, S-Video and Composite video connections are also available for legacy analog displays. In addition to its faithful reproduction of high-definition pictures on Blu-ray Discs, the player can up-convert DVD from standard definition up to 1080p to maximize DVD picture quality. Its "Source Direct" output mode makes the BDP-80 incredibly well suited as a digital transport to feed into an external video processor, a high-end A/V receiver or display device with built-in video processing. Unique features such as subtitle shift and vertical stretch zoom mode makes the player an ideal source component for home theaters with 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) displays.

For audio, the BDP-80 supports internal decoding and bitstream output of the latest sound formats including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio. The BDP-80 also features a configurable 7.1-channel analog output that can be set as 7.1-channel, 5.1-channel, or stereo. When playing SACD, the BDP-80 can output DSD (Direct Stream Digital) over HDMI in its native format or convert it into high-resolution PCM. For compatibility with many legacy A/V receivers and DACs, the BDP-80 also provides an optical and coaxial digital audio output.

The initial setup of the BDP-80 is a breeze with its Easy Setup Wizard and well-written manual. Setup menus on the player can be accessed without interruption to disc playback. The front and back USB 2.0 ports enable easy access to music, photo and video files. The BDP-80 comes standard with 1GB of internal storage built-in so that no additional memory card or flash drive is needed to use BD-Live and BonusView features. Featuring a brushed metallic front panel and dimmable display, the BDP-80 fits nicely in any home theater environment, ranging from simple to high-end.

Haaaaahhhhh, Oppo seems to have heard all my rants about their losing their strategic price and quality advantage. This seems a good budget player. Let us wait for the reviews.

I just looked at the comparison and they have "System-on-Chip with Custom Firmware" for video processing. I wonder if this is a Mediatek chip? They also seem to be discouraging people from using the BD 80 for large screens, but that might just be a marketing ploy to sell the BD-83 also.

Cheers

Last edited:
Spiro, the following should answer your question:

For analog audio output, the BDP-80 features a configurable 7.1-channel output that can be set as 7.1-channel, 5.1-channel or stereo. The BDP-83 has a dedicated stereo output in addition to the 7.1-channel output. The Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs) and analog driving stage in the BDP-80 is a tried-and-true design previously used in our flagship DV-983H up-converting DVD player. Although not as sophisticated as the BDP-83 and BDP-83 Special Edition, this design enables the BDP-80 to be an excellent audio player at a very affordable price. For digital audio output, the BDP-80 and BDP-83 have very similar capabilities and performances, and either can be an excellent audio source for an audio processor or A/V receiver via HDMI and coaxial/optical connections.

Hi tropic,

Thanks for the news.Yes it will take on the Panny,Samsung and all. Does the lack of Anchor Bay VRS mean it won't equal the video performance of the BD83?

cheer,
sri

Thats great pricing! Finally Oppo is back with product that gives good performance at an affordable price.
I guess this means the dac part is similar to the their dvd players. So its safe to assume good performance on that front.

Does the lack of Anchor Bay VRS mean it won't equal the video performance of the BD83?

Obviously. As long as it passes Blu-Ray at full 1080P without any processing, that should be OK. In terms of DVD upscaling, I have a feeling the BD80's capabilities will be equal to that of the Oppo 980 or 981.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Here is another brief review of BD80 from Audioholics.There is a nice comparison chart between BD83 and BD80. Other than the video processor and the dedicated stereo output there seems to be not much of a difference between the players. What do they mean by "System-on-Chip"?

Significantly the review says that the watered down video processor of the BD80 will not affect the Bluray and SACD-DVD-A performance but only DVD
pictures.

Oppo BDP-80 Universal Blu-ray Player First Look — Reviews and News from Audioholics

CHEERS,
SRI

I love Tom Andry's dig at Ayre and Lexicon

For those that want a one box solution but don't care that much about all those bells and whistles, check out the BDP-80. Either way, you are getting a lot of performance and features for not a lot of scratch. At least until an A/V manufacturer with high-end aspirations decides to drop it in a pretty case and charge enough for a used car.

Sri, Tom's conclusion are the same as mine. The BD80 will pass the BR 1080P signals without any processing. If you have an AVR that can upscale to 1080P, then the BD80 definitely looks delicious.

With reference to their chip, we will have to wait for someone to rip open the player and post the details. I have a suspicion they may have worked with Mediatek to design a special video processor for them. It may even be labelled 'Oppo'. Let us see if my forecast turns out correct.

Cheers

Well it seems Oppo has come out well with their budget BD player.

@venkat : The user review link you have given does mention the chip as Mediatek.

''If you don't have anything like that, though, the BDP-80's Mediatek chip can still do a quite respectable job in its own right. In addition, the BDP-80 retains the BDP-83's quick DVD layer changes.''

cheers,
sri

@venkat : The user review link you have given does mention the chip as Mediatek.

I missed that in my usual speed reading, but my guess was right. Oppo has been working with Mediatek for a long time in their 97x and 98x series. If the BD 80 works well, other manufacturers have really to get back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Overall this sounds like excellent news. But my heart is still set on the BDP-83 and I saw it in action today along with an EPson 1080p projector and I am totally blown away. I am starting to save up for it right now!!

I missed that in my usual speed reading, but my guess was right. Oppo has been working with Mediatek for a long time in their 97x and 98x series. If the BD 80 works well, other manufacturers have really to get back to the drawing board.

Cheers

I can guess, Oppo stopped DV980, added Bluray drive, removed9 & renamed as BD-80.:rolleyes:

I think that's pretty spot on. It sounds like it shares a lot of the internals with the 980 including the Audio DACs and the mediatek chipset. So basically what you're getting is an Oppo 980 standard DVD playback and a very very slightly inferior blu-ray playback and audio compared to the BD-83. For 280 dollars I think that's a bloody steal! If you can get some family to buy it from the US and bring it down, that's only like 13k!

I can guess, Oppo stopped DV980, added Bluray drive, removed9 & renamed as BD-80.:rolleyes:

Would the same region free logic work for BDP-80 as it was for BDP-83 in the sense of the hardware mod?

Also, have you seen any comparison with Panasonic or other BD players with this one esp. as they have now downgraded the upscaling capability.

Would the same region free logic work for BDP-80 as it was for BDP-83 in the sense of the hardware mod?

Most probably not. You will have to wait for the company to either confirm the same mod or release a new one.

Also, have you seen any comparison with Panasonic or other BD players with this one esp. as they have now downgraded the upscaling capability.

The link I provided has a comparison to the Pioneer 320. For more comparisons, you will have to wait for some time. The product has been released just 2 days ago!!!

Cheers

Errata:

The comparison is to Panasonic DMP-BD30; not the Pioneer 320. I am sorry for the error.

Last edited:
even the downgraded upscaling capability will, I am fairly sure kick the asses of the Panasonics and Sonys....the 980H was a very capable upscaler and handily outclassed virtually all consumer models....and even Oppo used to state on their website that if your screen was 42-inches or below it would be sufficient to get the 980 and there would be no need to go for the 981 or the 983. This really does create a dilemma for me when I am picking up my BDP (or having it picked up) in the US in June-July.....plonk down 25k for the BD83? or pay a far more reasonable 13k and get the BD80.....the things weighing in favour of the BD83 are the fact that i will still mostly be watching DVDs.....decisions decisions....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back