OPPO no more

rikhav

OPPO IS NO MORE

Not sure what triggered this decision , nor its an April fool's joke as date mentioned is 2nd April

They have not mentioned any reason as well. I think even the sonica line (DAC and WiFi speaker) won't be made any more

If it true it is really sad. I always had an oppo player (Maybe 4 or 5) with me since 2005, starting with their DVD players. All of them were excellent performers and great value for money.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes sid
The decision truly baffles me as well
They were always a niche manufacturer as far as as blue ray players were concerned, never a mass market player .. so I always felt they would have hot a loyal fan base irrespective of movie streaming being in thing

Also many bought the players for multipurpose use for blue ray playback and as well as audio CD playback

The top of the line blue ray player has everything to fit well in a midi setup

Good power supply , dedicated circuitry to play audio CDs. Could function superbly as a stand alone fax as well as a CD player . Best of all was roon ready as well

Again no mention if it's only blu ray players or all other products as well

Sad....But Oppo is Owned by the china based BBK which also owns Vivo and One plus .Am sure this is a long term financial strategy driven decision and I guess they just want to focus on phones since thats where the mass majority of the music population is converging to.

the economics of running a tech based company is so different from what it used to be !

Yes. I just read it Twitter today and was aghast! I was even wondering why they stopped the oppodigital.in website. It made sense today when I read this information. Sad!

Oh man....this is sad.......so does this mean support is not available in India for those who own locally purchased players?

Oppodigital.in says products will be serviced by OPPO till September 2023 in and out of warranty
So I guess nothing to worry
Had not read so editing my post now

Last edited:
Sad....But Oppo is Owned by the china based BBK which also owns Vivo and One plus .Am sure this is a long term financial strategy driven decision and I guess they just want to focus on phones since thats where the mass majority of the music population is converging to.

the economics of running a tech based company is so different from what it used to be !
That oppo is different. The oppo phones and the oppo digital are two different companies

Sad to hear this. I own the BDP 83 as well as the Sonica speaker. Really sad to know about my favourite audio company :(

Sad to hear this.

Apart from their stellar dvd / blu ray players, hifi products like the Sonica network player and the planar headphone were making waves.

Over the last decade, their contribution to value for money video products is amazing. I think the landscape in video is changing super fast with rapid technology changes making sure that these kind of niche brands will no longer have an edge anymore. That could be the reason why they are closing down.

As of now existing owners don't have to worry much as products will be serviced

Yeah sad that one can't buy newer products by oppo

I really doubt the servicing part. A company that doesnt sell is bleeding money, so for them to continue support seems implausible.

They are legally bound to provide service for certain years
Anyways if they claim they will we can't question their honesty before hand at least

I guess it would be best to perhaps email Oppo US and ask them about this development and also about the warranty and service bit.....at least a documented confirmation hill come in handy for Oppo owners so that there are no future hiccups.....

The global site clearly states that in and out of warranty service will have no effect due to their decision to gradually cease production

Information on a website can be posted and removed.....it is better to get a documented response from the support team which will help existing users (under warranty) to leverage on in future....should Oppo India shrug their shoulders up and say no support etc....

Information on a website can be posted and removed.....it is better to get a documented response from the support team which will help existing users (under warranty) to leverage on in future....should Oppo India shrug their shoulders up and say no support etc....

Agreed
I assume we should hear from OPPO India very soon

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back