Optoma HD 66 from the US

vj_box

Hello folks

I'm travelling to the US towards the end of this month and planning to buy the optima hd 66. Price on Amazon store is 530 USD which translates to 29k approx. I checked the price of the Indian model here at LSS Home cinema and he quoted 65k approx which is literally double the US price.

Can you let me know if its worth the risk of getting it from the US? Any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance !

Vijay

Well a few members I know have imported the HD66 directly from amazon(Santy, Fusebulb etc)... But the thing is importing a projector is always a hit & miss affair... You wont be getting warranty but u will end up saving a huge amt which means even if something goes wrong u can still get it repaired & still be saving money on it compared to the indian price... Overall buying a HD66 from the US is a good option but it also depends on ur risk apatite...

I have ordered an HD66 through ShopYourWorld and got it delivered to my doorstep with superb packaging. I have had dead pixel issues with HD66 after over 13 months and was able to order a DLP chip myself from ebay and was able to replace it. I feel its worth the effort. You may want to make sure to clock a few hours before you actually bring it on from US.

Thanks George. Can you also confirm if its 240 v and works here India with out the need of step down?

Yes even I bought my HD66 from amazon and it is working just fine. Just added a mini fan to keep it cool just in case it may overheat- the single largest reason why bulb goes kaput. $535 is three month lowest. Grab it when you are there. You will not regret. Amazing picture quality. It works on dual voltage. So dont worry about step down convertors.

With below calculations, can I put the projector in a cabinet behind couch at 4.5 ft high from floor?

HD%252066%2520Calculations.jpg

planning to do the following with some modification
Home-theatre2-big.jpg

Regards,
Kevian

Hi rshri,

There is 8.5 inches between the center of lens and bottom of the projected image, so if the projector is placed at the height of 4.5 ft., won't the projected image go above the screen onto the ceiling?

I might buy HD66 but before that I will have to plan about placement, screen size, shelf mounted(no ceiling mount) etc.

I am new to PJ stuff, so please bear with me if my question(s) sounds silly.

Thanks for responding rshri.

Regards,
Kevian

Last edited:
can anyone answer about the 3D stuff? Is the projector able to show all 3D formats, 3D blu-ray disk being most important?

can anyone answer about the 3D stuff? Is the projector able to show all 3D formats, 3D blu-ray disk being most important?

Hmm This projector is only 3D ready... What it means in simple terms is u need a converter box for 3D which costs around $300... If someone is genuinely interested in a 3D projector buying a 1080p one like 3010 or HD33 might be a better choice for like $500 more...

Hi rshri,

There is 8.5 inches between the center of lens and bottom of the projected image, so if the projector is placed at the height of 4.5 ft., won't the projected image go above the screen onto the ceiling?

I might buy HD66 but before that I will have to plan about placement, screen size, shelf mounted(no ceiling mount) etc.

I am new to PJ stuff, so please bear with me if my question(s) sounds silly.

Thanks for responding rshri.

Regards,
Kevian

Yes, it will go up on the ceiling. With the calculations, the bottom of the screen will be at 4.5 ft + 8.5 inch. Add the screen height to that and you will know how much it will go on the screen.

You would be better off mounting it on ceiling or do a very high shelf mount.
Another alternative is to mount quite below, may be at 2 ft height (depending on the wall height).

Hmm This projector is only 3D ready... What it means in simple terms is u need a converter box for 3D which costs around $300... If someone is genuinely interested in a 3D projector buying a 1080p one like 3010 or HD33 might be a better choice for like $500 more...

+1 to above advice. You would need an external box, like Optoma 3D-XL. With that added price, its better to stick with a 1080p 3D projector. You have Epson 3010, Optoma HD33 in those price ranges.

I do have Epson 3010 and have seen Hd33 in action. If you want to know more, let me know.

Thanks Manoj. I was wondering the same but the picture suggested as if its a common practice to put the PJ behind couch just above head.

Regards,
Kevian

Seriously thats one heck of advise. Never knew that 'ready' would need a 3d converter. Thanks Rajadeep.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back