Optoma HD20 Stops responding

I'm getting worried about hearing the problems of Optoma projectors, My cousin is coming from US in Dec. and i have Hd20 in my mind.. but now giving second thoughts to it

Last edited:
Risk

As one of the forum members had the similar problem and was sorted out through the authorised service center, you should also get it done from such a service center nearest to your city. I will not be surprised that there is some small teething problem, and it should start working well.

I do not think that you should try to do anything on your own or have it checked from someone who does not have a proper standing at the market place because it may end up problem over problem.

I think this problem may have surfaced because of poor handling in transit or the seller was not of repute.

In-fact many a times the packing is done well, but the product has to pass so many cycles before it reaches us, even 2 of them, mishandle it big time, disaster is in waiting for us while that is a another story the product may look like not damaged but since some items are fragile, the damage may be done internally etc.

In some of the cases such transit risks can be avoided to a great extent.

V.

I recently bought an optoma hd 20 from US. There is a strange problem with the projector could this be due to a loose bulb in the transit?? will re-fixing the bulb help????

Last edited:
@vyrth and other wise people.

The product is in warranty period (US and Canada). I tried contacting optoma and seeked help in covertin/utilising this warranty here but could not do that. Vyrth, can you please tell me how were you able to do this?? Also tell if suppose you had to pay how much would have been the pocket burn??

As the projector is under warranty in US/Canada, would it be advisable to send it and get it back?? sending and getting will cost me another Rs. 10k approx and then there are chances of transit dame even more...

Help and suggestion neede....But i must say that i played avatar 720p for few minutes and I was in a different world.....guys no tv can match the projector experience. I was able i notice the details i didnt even notice in the movie theater....

It will be great fun once the projector starts working fine...

waiting for that day......sigh

I think it is not advisable to send the projector back due to the reasons you have said, and moreover a more loss in piece of mind, etc. There was one more member Nareen, he too had issues like you, but no one know what he eventually did, i hope he writes at this forum, true these are sad moments for you guys.

It is much better and simple to show the projector at Optama's service center in Delhi, and if the need be pay them the charges.

The seller should be able to help on this matter in some or the other way.

About the joy of projector, once you are done with the problem, benefits of a projector and screen are so vast, that a cinema hall can never fill the gap on assorted counts, provided a proper plan is made how to watch the movies and related.

V.

Last edited:
Vyerth, I too have an Optoma HD20 for the last 2 years. Touchwood, no probs till date.

Although I have been following once in a while, I am sorry I am unable to contribute to this thread as I do not know enough on this topic but learning.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon:). All the best.

About the joy of projector, once you are done with the problem, benefits of a projector and screen are so vast, that a cinema hall can never fill the gap on assorted counts, provided a proper plan is made how to watch the movies and related.

will seek assistance from you once I am done with getting back the PJ on track as you are an old player in the field I am just getting started to enter. Planning a swift trip to Delhi.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon. All the best.

thanks for the best wishes....I need them

Delhi

It will be much better if you Goggle the Optama's service center details in Delhi, first talk to them, take a appointment and then go so that no misfire and related happens.

On the other hand you can request one of the forum member who has a projector in Delhi to accompany you.

By the way from Ashish, you can seek some help, as he seem to be quite helpful and importantly very resourceful.

Once you are done with the projector, it will be my pleasure to give you assistance which will help you enjoy the projector viewing.

V.

I think you should not worry much, these are freak cases, with other members fall, you can exercise risk management before getting the projector, which will help you to a great extent.

V.

I'm getting worried about hearing the problems of Optoma projectors, My cousin is coming from US in Dec. and i have Hd20 in my mind.. but now giving second thoughts to it

Dear All,

I sent my pj back to US.. coz fortunately my brother is still in the US and his friend was travelling to the US around the same time when my pj developed issues. So currently its with Optoma US service center and i expect to receive this in the month of Nov when my brother is coming to Mumbai.

In my opinion the best thing if anybody is facing problem with new Optoma PJ , is to show it to Optoma Service center or to get it repaired under warranty from the US provided its not being too costly.

I have heard good things about optoma india service center too.. one of the forum member got his pjs problem fixed for free as it was just the heat indicator which was faulty due to which the pj was shutting down every 10 mins..

I think it is not advisable to send the projector back due to the reasons you have said, and moreover a more loss in piece of mind, etc. There was one more member Nareen, he too had issues like you, but no one know what he eventually did, i hope he writes at this forum, true these are sad moments for you guys.

V.

good to know that its being taken care of now. After your brother gets it, ask him to run for few days to make sure everything is working fine.

Naren,

It seems you have a lot of patience etc to be without the projector for so many months. I think under such a phase most of them would have gone for the follow up with service center in Mumbai. All the best.

If one buys a projector and pays custom duty, if taken back abroad then the passport should be stamped to this effect so that one does not pay the customs duty again on return though it will be important that the person should be same for who is taking and bringing back.

If one had not paid the customs duty due to bribe or hide factor, then how fortunate the person can be, the core issue is will he be 2nd time lucky to evade the duty, if yes, then one's luck is shining on the lines of our Mukesh Ambani.

As you will be missing the projector so much laced with anger, i have a way out, not to worry.

Please come to my place and watch movies, i will be pleased to give you the liberty to watch 4 movies, so that you can come on different days and moreover you will get additional ideas. We are like a faimly, we need to stand by each other at these dry moments.

V.

Dear All,

I sent my pj back to US.. coz fortunately my brother is still in the US and his friend was travelling to the US around the same time when my pj developed issues. So currently its with Optoma US service center and i expect to receive this in the month of Nov when my brother is coming to Mumbai.

In my opinion the best thing if anybody is facing problem with new Optoma PJ , is to show it to Optoma Service center or to get it repaired under warranty from the US provided its not being too costly.

I have heard good things about optoma india service center too.. one of the forum member got his pjs problem fixed for free as it was just the heat indicator which was faulty due to which the pj was shutting down every 10 mins..

Last edited:
Naren,

Further to what Manoj says, Please ask your brother to run the projector daily for 3 to 4 times, and it should be at least 4 weeks before his departure, so that if there is more problem, it can be handled well in time.

Further, see to it that the projector does not go with the check-in baggage, carry it on board.

These or other risk management is very important, this is what i suggested the other member as he was afraid to import the projector.

All the best.

V.

Hi Vinay,

Thank you so much for the offer and it really made me feel that we are one family here.. HFV family :)

My projector is repaired and is with my brother, Optoma did not specify what problem it had but as of now its running fine.

My brother is actually just watching one movie per week on it, but basis your suggestion I will ask him to use it more before he comes.. I wanted him to keep testing it but at the same time i was worried of it reducing the bulb life but i guess i shouldn't :) so I will ask him to test it for more hours.

Once again thank you !

Regards,
Naren

Sure Manoj,

Have asked my brother to test it before he brings it to India in Nov 1st week.

good to know that its being taken care of now. After your brother gets it, ask him to run for few days to make sure everything is working fine.

brother is actually just watching one movie per week on it, but basis your suggestion I will ask him to use it more before he comes.. I wanted him to keep testing it but at the same time i was worried of it reducing the bulb life but i guess i shouldn't :) so I will ask him to test it for more hours.

Once again thank you !

Regards,
Naren
don't worry for lamp life, just ask him to watch it for min 2 hrs every time he starts. No frequent turn on/off.

will seek assistance from you once I am done with getting back the PJ on track as you are an old player in the field I am just getting started to enter. Planning a swift trip to Delhi.

thanks for the best wishes....I need them

Hi,

Hope you made that trip to Digicomp Delhi for your pj. What was the outcome? Hope it was repaired to your satisfaction and at present enjoying the experience.

Cheers!

I've also got an Optoma HD 20 brought it from the US, and it is working very well so far, touch wood. Havent clocked too many ours so far though.

Hey guys..here is my experience. I was considering buying a PJ since last 6 months and about 2 months ago I got a deal on HD20 on ebay.com (PJ in Canada, Dealer ships free to USA). The cost of the PJ was at discount as it was manufacturer refurbished. I got the PJ for INR 34xxx and paid through SBI card via paypal. It got transported to me from Canada in 12 days through Amarex shop and ship. (about 7 days from Canada to USA + 4 days from USA to India). Transportation charges were quite reasonable at INR 42xx.

I had asked the retailer to show the cost as $350 only. So in fact i sould have been charged about INR 12xxx by customs, I sneakd in by paying only INR 52xx.

Here the misfortune strikes me and when I check the PJ, I starts giving problem and goes dough after operating for 5 mins. I go online and on hifivision.com and found out that many people had such problems, even those who had bought brand new units (Mine is a Manufacturer refurbished..that means new but refurbished...not brand new...though to my eyes it looks as new as it could be).

I took the PJ to digicomp in Nehru Place, New Delhi. There I was told that the Main board had to be changed. I dont know how they came to know that coz the engineer had had a single glance at the PJ. I was told that the equipment had to come in from Bangalore and its gonna cost me INR 13000(MB price)+1000(service charges).

I had to pay Rs 14728 finay for the repair work(NO US warranty honoured here). Though I knew all this coz I was prepaired for that.

So here is the distribution:-
1. Rs 34xxx - PJ cost
2. Rs 42xx - shipping to India
3. Rs 52xx - customs (should have been Rs. 12xxx but acted a lil smart here)
4. Rs 14728- repairs

Final price Rs 581xx. Far less than what I would have got in India. And with the repairs done the final price is equal to what I would have got the brand new unit for from USA. All in all a little hassles bust the most economical way of getting the a PJ. I must reiterate for those who have doubts...the PJ is new, Not used, returned to Optoma by some store and then sent back in the market by optoma after refurbishing. I came to know later that even if i would have bought a So called brand new peice, the problem which occured could have happned then also.

Hope this helps those who are considering to buy a PJ. Specially those who can't make many trips to US.

Dennymushtang,

Is the projector working fine now? Which screen are you using, or projecting the image on wall? The movies which you watch are through a media player? If yes, i can help you with some movies.

It is quite a learning experience from your writing. I think one of the good ways is to get a brand new projector through a reputed online store.

V.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back