Optoma HD20 Stops responding

vyerth

hi friends,

I bought HD20 from BHPhotovideo (imported) sometime ago and used it for only 3/4 films not more than 10hours.

Recently I fixed it on ceiling and have encountered a strange problem. The projector starts and all goes fine but after around 5 minutes, the green light 'led' of power would disappear the screen would go blank, fan would start running and if i press the button again it would stop the projector or it would start showing red LED light on Lamp and the green light on the power starts to blink in amber.

This shows the LAMP has failed. Wonder how can lamp fail in 10hours. Is there anything that I can do. I read someone else had similar problem which was solved by change of powercable. I am using cable provided by the supplier, so don't know what i can do with powercable.

Experienced User please throw some light on this.

Cheers!

Hi there may chance s the ventilations not enough and its getting heated up,going to standby,where it cools the lamp with the fan on, also chk ur power supply point phase and neutral are ok with ground..

Thanks for Reply,
I have placed a power strip which shows if the grounding is good or not.. shows me all green. The projector is hanging up in ceiling and the indicator lamp which comes up is on the lamp and not on the temperature icon.
Looking at the troubleshooting on the manual it says lamp failure. Would it be any good to take it down and play it in normal mode.. as hanging it up might have moved the lamp a bit. Not sure if I should open the case and look inside the projector.
Any more inputs friends?

I have placed a power strip which shows if the grounding is good or not.. shows me all green. The projector is hanging up in ceiling and the indicator lamp which comes up is on the lamp and not on the temperature icon. Looking at the troubleshooting on the manual it says lamp failure. Would it be any good to take it down and play it in normal mode.. as hanging it up might have moved the lamp a bit. Not sure if I should open the case and look inside the projector. Any more inputs friends?

Though there is no harm in trying what you say, remember, projectors are made to hang upside down and work. It is part of the design.

The lamp does come on, right? So it cannot be a lamp failure. As was mentioned before, it is either dirty, or gets heated up for some reason.

Projectors are complicated devices, and I would not suggest you even touch it. Look for a local service centre and get it serviced. If the lamp has indeed failed, you can get a replacement free from the original dealer.

Oh, BTW I hope this is not a 110V unit??

Cheers

Thanks Venkat
It is imported from USA via BPhotovideo ... using it in Mumbai. Power fluctuations are really not a problem at all. Would it require something which I might be missing.

Thanks.

Here I am attaching the Picture from the socket inside the projector. It shows 10A 250V.

I guess its not 110 V then. Am I right?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-28 at 4.43.10 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-28 at 4.43.10 PM.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 222
hi,
I just checked the cable.
Here is the picture attached of the cable. Pleasae look into this. it says 10A 125V
Would this be causing the problem?
I guess it shouldn't, otherwise it would have stopped working earlier too.
Please suggest

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-28 at 8.13.05 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-28 at 8.13.05 PM.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 209
Hi,

The problem is with the power cable. Change it with a 10A 250V, and i hope your problem will be solved. When my brother in law bought HD20 from USA, i noticed the rating on the cable at first instance and changed it. It is working fine

hi,
I just checked the cable.
Here is the picture attached of the cable. Pleasae look into this. it says 10A 125V
Would this be causing the problem?
I guess it shouldn't, otherwise it would have stopped working earlier too.
Please suggest

Thanks a lot BSRaju.
wonder howcome the projector had been working for so many days though. I certainly check on this and see if it works. Wonder any computer cable would work for this?

Hi,

In fact one of my cousin used his desktop p.c cable for his D20.But i feel it would be safe to use 10A 250V rated cable.

Thanks a lot BSRaju.
wonder howcome the projector had been working for so many days though. I certainly check on this and see if it works. Wonder any computer cable would work for this?

Friends change of cable hasn't worked, it was a wishful thinking.
Anyway, I have asked BHPhotovideo to guide me with this, as they had promised me that they would help with minor repairs in india only. .
Waiting for their response.
Hope it works without much hassle.

will keep updated.
Thanks for ur help

I don't understand how electric cable is supposed to make any difference at all. Its just copper strings and no electronics, so it doesn't matter whether current passed through it is 220V or 110V. Please enlighten me if I am missing something here.

All Optoma PJs are of universal voltage (110-240V) meaning you can operate them anywhere in the world without the need for a stepdown/ up transformer. And rshri, you are right, the power cable's got nothing to do with voltage unless there's an adapter attached to the cable. I don't know if the thread-starter has been able to get the problem fixed but I've known cases where this happened because dust partciles entered the unit. If that's the case, you should be able to take it to a Digicomp service center in Andheri and they'll get it sorted. Good luck with that!

Well I guess that can be issue with the new bulb getting over heated due to some reasons. try switching to low power and play it.

Genarally 10 hours should not be the reason for dust issue unless its really messy. some projectors cleaning period is said to be 100-250 hours initially.

Remove the bulb and refit it , possibilities are there it may be loose. Also some of the PJ's will be like this till it cross 100hrs or so to get settled.

Regards

HI
Nice to see lot of responses.
Thanks for clarifying the cable confusion BoyRUS.
I wish I had checked the dust thing. I took it to DIGICOMP yesterday and the first thing engineer did is swap the lamp with another one and the problem persisted. So the LAMP is all good. The speculation is that the Driver/Ballast of the lamp has a problem. He never talked of DUST as the issue. I wish it was dust... but assume the engineer knows more. Hoping the damage is minimal considering it hasn't been used.

Thanks for giving your inputs friends.
Cheers!

Hi Buddy,

I got my Optoma HD20 from US yesterday and after 5 minutes of usage it has started giving same issue. The Red bulb light gets on and the projector gets shut.

I am worried how much the repair would cost, I am even considering options of sending it back to US as it is under warranty.

Do you know if the Optoma gives internation warranty or its just limited to the Country you buy it from?

Also can you share the contact details of the guy whom you are getting your PJ checked/ repaired from?

Also can you keep sharing the status of your PJ repair. I will really be very helpful. Thanks a ton and hope our PJs get well soon :)

Regards,
Naren

HI
Nice to see lot of responses.
Thanks for clarifying the cable confusion BoyRUS.
I wish I had checked the dust thing. I took it to DIGICOMP yesterday and the first thing engineer did is swap the lamp with another one and the problem persisted. So the LAMP is all good. The speculation is that the Driver/Ballast of the lamp has a problem. He never talked of DUST as the issue. I wish it was dust... but assume the engineer knows more. Hoping the damage is minimal considering it hasn't been used.

Thanks for giving your inputs friends.
Cheers!

Friends,

I tried to put the lamp notification off ( from the settings) and then changed it back to on ( like how it originally was) .. after that the projector continues to work only for 5-10 minutes and then it switches off but now the lamp indicator doesnt turn red but its the heat indicator that is turning red.

Also I noticed one more thing when i first switch on the projector the fan inside it runs continuously but after around 10 minutes the fan would get hick ups i,e it wont run continuously (i,e it behaves how a fan would if you continuously keep the power supply on and off) and then after a minute the projector would actually give message saying " The projector has over heated and will shut itself down " post that the power indicator will blink amber and the heat indicator would turn red.

Can any experienced members here please guide me on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Naren

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back