Our AV Room

vj_box

So at our game dev studio (Hammerplay Studios) we have been looking to setup a dedicated space to mix sound and to watch movies/play games for a while. We just reached ver 1.0 of the space where we setup some of the equipment and treated the room with acoustics which seem to have worked fairly well and took the room from nasty slap backs/echo to almost zero reverb.

Here is a bunch of pictures of the setup. We are still working on refining things (painting, touch-ups etc) and planning to add a another bunch of rear wall diffusion (behind the front speakers) aside other bells and whistles.

The current set up is a 5.2.1 Atmos Top middle config and seems to work well for a 200 SQFT space.

Happy to hear your thoughts and comments!

Amp Deck.jpgHT Side 1.jpgHT Side 2.jpgMixing desk.jpg

Thanks! Could u give more specifics on the room size? And what projector and screen u r using?

Sure. Here are the equipments being used in the room.

• AVR - Denon 2400H- 5.2.1 config
  • Stereo Amp- Cambridge Audio AM5 (surprisingly good!) and Yamaha RX-E100
  • Speakers Front - Q Acoustics 3020
  • Speakers Centre - Proficient Bookshelf ( does really well for the centre and the vocals/dialogues are extremely clear)
  • Surrounds/ Atmos speakers - Polk TL1 Satellites (again does the job well for the surrounds and ceiling)
  • Sub - Klipsch SW110
  • Screen - 8 Ft X 4 Ft custom made/ painted with matte white and the projection quality is very satisfying.
  • Projector - Epson 725HD (Sharp enough and does the job)

Speakers stands - Custom made by one of our FM Agasthya. They have the heft and make the QA 3020s shine! - highly recommend him for all sorts of Audio gear in Chennai.

Mixing desk - Presonus Eris E5- value for money Monitors - very articulate in nature. Scarlett Focusrite 2i2

Acoustic panels - All of them (Diffusors, Absorption panels, Bass traps) are from Aural Exchange and they have been proving pretty good and cost effective compared to the standard acoustics treatment many third party contractors/ architects offer.

Thanks! Could u give more specifics on the room size? And what projector and screen u r using?

Sure. The room is 20x10 approx including the mixing desk at the back. The screen is actually a ply board that has been carefully painted over with putty and then 3 to 4 coats of matte white water based paint. This was first experimental but the results turned out to be surprisingly good. We are looking to install a Optoma UHD50 soon and the current one is Epson Home cinema 725HD which again has a very sharp display - we guess it’s the screen and the AVR combo doing the trick.

Thanks for sharing. Balanced budget set up. Will be affordable for enthusiasts I guess.

Absolutely. I would say this is a bang for the buck setup without having to stretch beyond. Since we treated the room the current setup seems to shine well.

thanks,

You have a nice HT setup,but you lack a floor carpet?? have you given a thought to it..

Yes we actually wanted to carpet the entire room and held back on that until we finish some other renovation related works. Carpet will be last item that goes in there and very soon!

Can you please elaborate? Did you seek any outside help to finalise the products and installation?

Yeah we did some basic research on acoustic treatment to begin with. We actually started with a wrong foot taking the direction of sound proofing which is mostly like building a room within room where you need to isolate the sound and contain that within which is much needed for studios and cinemas. In most of cases we need acoustic treatment where we only tame the sound frequencies cutting down the annoying booming, slap backs and such. The so called professional installers were asking a bomb where most quotes were in the range of 1.5 lakh + for a 200 sqft room and I wasnt convinced. We then went with Aural Exchange's foam based panels which in my opinion are the only ones that look and sound professional of all the ones I came across.

We first finished the mixing desk with all wedge panels and then went for the HT side where we started off with bass traps (most crucial) and then diffusion and absorption for the side walls and ceiling.

We then stuck them to the walls with a adhesive with a carpenter since we were running other studio renovation work and it took a 2 days of labour.

Back