Oval Passive Radiators

navin advani

Hi

I am building a pair of DIY Tower speakers (see image) and need 6 nos. SB Acoustics SB15SFCR-00 passive radiators.

Where in India can we buy these?

Thanks. Driver system R1.jpg

Hi

I am building a pair of DIY Tower speakers (see image) and need 6 nos. SB Acoustics SB15SFCR-00 passive radiators.

Where in India can we buy these?

Thanks. View attachment 79256
Looks lovely......Can you please elaborate a bit on the build. Is it a vented system or a tapered front transmission line design. I see you also want to use passive radiators along with a vent. So almost everything possible to address bass is in the mix :)

They don't have stock of almost any drivers.
Looks lovely......Can you please elaborate a bit on the build. Is it a vented system or a tapered front transmission line design. I see you also want to use passive radiators along with a vent. So almost everything possible to address bass is in the mix :)
I wouldn't suggest using passive radiators along with a vent. I was hoping to replace the vent using passive radiators.

I am building this system for my 87-year-old mom. Hopefully, it will be ready before her 88th birthday (Jan 2nd, 2024).

The build is centered around a Mark Audio MAOP7. Since my SPL needs are more than a single 4" can cover, I am working on a WAW (woofer-assisted wide range) design. There will also be an "optional" rear tweeter (Founted Neo CD 1.0) to add "air" (this is not shown in the design as it is optional). The crossover duties will be via a mini DSP 2x4 HD. The amps are from Advance Acoustics (woofer section) and Yamaha (wide range).

The MAOP 7 is in a tapered short transmission line. A shorter transmission line should suffice since I do not need it to produce anything deep. I considered using a Voight line (as in the Pearl Sibelius), but Fenton's system has no woofers assisting the wide range; this one does.

The woofers are SEAS H1480 SL. I think they are 16cm each. You can get more information on the woofers from SEAS's website. They are the same that Siegfried Linkwitz used in his LXstudio speakers (see link).

4 of them should offer the same Sd as 2 8" woofers. You can source them from Madisound or Falcon Acoustics (links below)

Each pair of woofers will be "tied together" using 4 stainless steel rods (16 have been ordered, cut and threaded) as in the KEF Blade.

kef-blade.jpg

Since the towers are slim and can topple, they need a stabilising base. Using a water jet machine, a base as shown in the image below will be cut from aluminium. This is a copy of the Karl-Heinz Fink-designed Concept 500 (by Q Acoustics).

Q acoustics 500-plinth.jpg

Sorry, I am not internet savvy, so I don't post much on forums. I just finished building a pair of 8" 3-ways using curved CLD side walls for a friend. The woofers were SB Acoustics ceramic cones; the mid-tweeters were Morel 4055s. I might have some images on my mobile, but I don't know how to get them to the PC to post here. My friend has 11 pairs of speakers (4 towers and 7 bookshelves) and claims that these outperform anything in his arsenal (including Zu, Wharfdale Jade, B&W 7xx something, and a few others). I was happy to hear this. This is a hobby. I do not do this for commercial reasons. It keeps my brain and body occupied and I learn something new each time. That is payment enough.

IMG_6242.jpg

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back