Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discussions

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Hi Owners, please post your reviews? I think many of you have been using the set for almost a year. How's ur experience been? Can this be an investment for next 4-5 years? Please provide your opinion and suggestion?

Hi Owners, please post your reviews? I think many of you have been using the set for almost a year. How's ur experience been? Can this be an investment for next 4-5 years? Please provide your opinion and suggestion?

Although not am owner, i can say that this TV is a good investment. But you may be hit the upgrade bug in 2 years time.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Most of the users have already posted their opinions, its pluses and minuses. You watch the set in some showrooms and take your own decision.

It is a good TV but beware that it is not full HD and will have problems if it is to be placed in a bright room,

Guys, reading through these post, I'm thinking of going for the 43E490. My budget was a good fit for a 32 inch and sony's 32EX650 was the contender. My hall is kind of dark (cause we dont have direct sunlight) and my hall's tube light is on the side.

I will be saving more buying a 40" rather than a 32" LED.

Is there any showroom (Croma,reliance or ezone) giving a blue ray player combo in bangalore now?

The high blacks of plasma will make the TV shine in a dark room. Having a dark room also allows you to set contrast and brightness to lower settings thus avoiding the risk of Image Retention. Please do read "Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in" before making a firm decision. But do note that IR is an overstated problem. On top of plasma benefits, you will also benefit of having a 43" TV (the 43E490 is 43" diagonal). The 32EX650 is not a bad TV by any means but 32" is just too small these days - picture area wise it is same as a 29" CRT. The 43E490 is HD-Ready (720p) but 1080p of EX650 is no benefit at 32".

For BDP, you will have to hunt dor the deals. Try checking with Samsung showroom also.

I just checked in a close by croma and the 43E490 was available for 42k including a BR player. He then suggested a couple of LG version one of which was about 35k (LG 42PA4520) and the other one (dont recall its model) was at 45900 including BP player and a pair of glasses.

What was worrying was that he mentioned the 43E490 has a limited stock since they are going to replace them soon. Is that true?

Yes. The 43E490 may be replaced with the 'F' series that will constitute the 2013 models.

Hey guys, I just got my e490 delivered and installed. I can't seem to get into the service menu to check the usage.

I tried both

While the TV is in standby mode:
Press the {MUTE}, {1}, {8}, {2} & {POWER} buttons.

The TV will turn on with the Service Menu displayed.

Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION".
or
Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "OPTION BYTE".

"PANEL DISPLAY TIME" will be one of the items listed.

To exit, press the {RETURN} button and/or turn the power off.

and

While the TV is in standby mode:
Press the {INFO}, {MENU}, {MUTE} & {POWER} buttons.

The TV will turn on with the Service Menu displayed.

Using the {UP} or {Down} buttons, select "Control".
Then select "Sub Option".

"PANEL DISPLAY TIME" will be one of the items listed.

To exit, press the {POWER} button.

Were any one of you successful getting into the service menu?

The second option worked for me. You need make sure that you press those buttons continuously with little or no delay.

Never mind. I missed the part which said, "In sequence". Its 0h :clapping:

I happy with my purchase and the sound is not that bad as talked about. I guess its better than my 22 inch LCD sony :eek:hyeah:

Oh and one more thing. This model is getting extinct in Bangalore. I couldn't find it in Reliance Digital, Croma nor at the Samsung dealer ship at Forum mall. I finally found one at Ezone and they only have a few more before they will go out of stock.

I guess this could be a good or a bad thing.

The replacement F series could possibly be better than our existing series or it could be worse. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Congratulations on your purchase. I assured you this is a very good TV. You will not regret.
But you should take care of two things:
1. If you want to buy a external speaker then buy a speaker that comes with remote control.
2. Avoid static image specially DTH logo. My Airtel DTH cause faint IR and also I felt Airtel gives very expensive service and recently they removed ESPN HD and Ten Cricket HD from their platform. So I am thinking to switch Videocon DTH from Airtel DTH.

Last edited:

But wouldn't Videocon also have their Logo on there?
I've got my settings at
Cell light = 12
contrast = 50
brightness = 45
These are quiet low so I'm hoping i don't have much of an IR issue.

I've got my settings at
Cell light = 12
contrast = 50
brightness = 45
If you can have a darker room (using drapes/shades, etc.), you can lower contrast and brightness further. I watch in a fairly dark room with my ST50 settings set to, contrast = 35, brightness = -5 and have no problems with dim pictures. I have had no long term IR issues so far, touchwood.

I've got my settings at
Cell light = 12
contrast = 50
brightness = 45

The contrast is too low and cell light is also low. This is the good setting during break-in period.

The Airtel logo is so bright. The text of Airtel is written in White and the white color is more susceptible to IR because they illuminate at full intensity.

Last edited:

If you can have a darker room (using drapes/shades, etc.), you can lower contrast and brightness further. I watch in a fairly dark room with my ST50 settings set to, contrast = 35, brightness = -5 and have no problems with dim pictures. I have had no long term IR issues so far, touchwood.

Kindly don't compare ST50 with E490 with any regards. Both are having different setting for same brightness and also ST50 is one of the flagship model of Panasonic plasma and later one has entry level Samsung Plasma.

Kindly don't compare ST50 with E490 with any regards. Both are having different setting for same brightness and also ST50 is one of the flagship model of Panasonic plasma and later one has entry level Samsung Plasma.
Agreed. I just wanted to highlight that contrast and brightness settings could be lowered by making the room darker and thus enjoying better blacks and in a way avoiding IR.

Hmm.. I'll try tweaking these and see how much lower can i get.

:lol::lol::lol: My plasma TV E490 runs unbeatable without any issue for last 2.3 years...:lol::lol::lol:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back