Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discussions

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Hi All,
I am planning to buy this plasma TV. I have following questions.

1. My viewing distance is 6ft to 7ft. Is 43" TV too big for this?

Not at all , I am using at this distance and its perfectly fine.

2. Does watching blueray movies have any problem , at 6ft distance?
i.e 1080p content on 720p screen at 6 ft distance. Hopefully 720p content at 6ft distance should be fine.
Believe me you will not notice the difference in 1080p or 720p videos.
3. I am planning to hook my Onkyo HTS3300 to this TV. I do not have BlueRay player. So majority of my source will be BRRips through USB device.
You will find many different BR Rips in internet, so chose a right one with 5.1 channel and enjoy the movie
Will i get raw digital audio out from TV(while playing USB BRRip) and connect to Onkyo to do proper decoding so that i get perfect audio output? (as played from BlueRay/DVD player connected to Onkyo)
Yes this TV supports Digital out...
Regarding cost...
Currently Bajaj electronics is quoting 42k with 2 free 3D glasses. Few people in this thread got free BlueRay player and that offer looked good.
So with out BlueRay player, i think around 38K should be perfect price.
I believe with BlueRay player , the price was 48k in bangalore. I heard 42K price is a festival offer till Nov 18th and never know it can rise or fall . And every showroom has a standard billing for samsung tv's. This looks a good deal for me.

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Thanks Ramesh,

I have couple of questions.

1.What is the difference between 43e490B3R (at samsung site), 43e490B1M series 4 (at ezoneonline.in) and other 43e490Bxx models, if any?
Should i bother about them and does price and features vary among them?

2. I got a quote of 37.8K at an outlet (new & factory seconds), and did not check if i get two pairs of 3d glasses.
I am suspecting whether he will give me brand new or any defective (as it is seconds outlet also) piece. I asked the same and store manager politely said, he will get the sealed piece and open in front of me and i can check there in the store itself.

3. I got a quote of 43.5K for LG42PM4700 3D plasma. It is smart TV and got more features compared to sammy 43e90. I need to demo this TV also , and if i am impressed with PQ(if on par with sammy e490) i may go with this, as it has WiDV and WiFi built in.

4. I have seen people buying HDTVs with just 1yr warranty, but i am concerned as some people have their HDTVs dead in couple of yrs. I am sure that i cannot spend another 40K for TV in less than 3yrs. How should i go with this? Am i over cautious as any electronic item life is unpredictable?

4. I have seen people buying HDTVs with just 1yr warranty, but i am concerned as some people have their HDTVs dead in couple of yrs. I am sure that i cannot spend another 40K for TV in less than 3yrs. How should i go with this? Am i over cautious as any electronic item life is unpredictable?

Thats true. For 1 year warranty for 1lakh TV, if it goes dead just after warranty is over, ownership cost excluding running cost comes to >8k/month.

Thats like a rent for 1bhk or emi for your fav car.:indifferent14:

Hi All,
I am planning to buy this plasma TV. I have following questions.

1. My viewing distance is 6ft to 7ft. Is 43" TV too big for this?
2. Does watching blueray movies have any problem , at 6ft distance?
i.e 1080p content on 720p screen at 6 ft distance. Hopefully 720p content at 6ft distance should be fine.
3. I am planning to hook my Onkyo HTS3300 to this TV. I do not have BlueRay player. So majority of my source will be BRRips through USB device.

Will i get raw digital audio out from TV(while playing USB BRRip) and connect to Onkyo to do proper decoding so that i get perfect audio output? (as played from BlueRay/DVD player connected to Onkyo)

Regarding cost...
Currently Bajaj electronics is quoting 42k with 2 free 3D glasses. Few people in this thread got free BlueRay player and that offer looked good.
So with out BlueRay player, i think around 38K should be perfect price.

Thanks Ramesh,

I have couple of questions.

1.What is the difference between 43e490B3R (at samsung site), 43e490B1M series 4 (at ezoneonline.in) and other 43e490Bxx models, if any?
Should i bother about them and does price and features vary among them?

2. I got a quote of 37.8K at an outlet (new & factory seconds), and did not check if i get two pairs of 3d glasses.
I am suspecting whether he will give me brand new or any defective (as it is seconds outlet also) piece. I asked the same and store manager politely said, he will get the sealed piece and open in front of me and i can check there in the store itself.

3. I got a quote of 43.5K for LG42PM4700 3D plasma. It is smart TV and got more features compared to sammy 43e90. I need to demo this TV also , and if i am impressed with PQ(if on par with sammy e490) i may go with this, as it has WiDV and WiFi built in.

I am not aware of any difference in the models . Just check if you have 3D glasses free and Samsung India Warranty is available.

Just an update on Hardisk support:I have been using WD My passport 1 TB for almost everyday and here are my results:

1. No disconnection so far during movie.
2. File Navigation is bit laggy.
3. Movie Forward/Rewind is pretty simliar . No lag.
4. I have stored almost 300 GB out of 1TB and all are movie files.

Can I connect 600K UPS for my Sam490 TV instead of a stabilizer, as my residence area has power fluctuations some thing like ON/OFF . will the UPS is capable of handling the TV load? My intention is not to run TV on ups but to have proper input to TV.

how do i check the usage of this model.?

Can I connect 600K UPS for my Sam490 TV instead of a stabilizer, as my residence area has power fluctuations some thing like ON/OFF . will the UPS is capable of handling the TV load? My intention is not to run TV on ups but to have proper input to TV.
AFAIK 43E490 consumes around 120W which is way less than what yourUPS 600KVA (360 W) can support. I also run my 390W HTS on 500KVA UPS. I have no problems in last 2 years.
I am not sure whether UPS serves the purpose of voltage stabiliser also.

finally bought the TV for 41k from reliance digital. tomorrow delivery :D

any one please me know does it require any stabilizer ?

any one please me know does it require any stabilizer ?

It has inbuilt stabilizer, but its your call to give additional safety. I am using without stabilizer.

Can we use UPS instead of stabilizers and surge protectors?

The installation guy sold me the belkin 6 pin surge protector for 2.3k and said it has 5 years warranty we can claim upto 50k if anything happened coz of this surge protector.

ok here's how to check the hours used on this plasma.

While the TV is in standby mode:

Press the {INFO}, {MENU}, {MUTE} & {POWER} buttons.

The TV will turn on with the Service Menu displayed.

Using the {UP} or {Down} buttons, select "Control".
Then select "Sub Option".

"PANEL DISPLAY TIME" will be one of the items listed.

To exit, press the {POWER} button.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to
default values. So make sure to write down custom
adjustments before accessing the Service Menu.

The Official "How to Check the Hours Used on Your Plasma" Thread:

Hi,

Any one ever noticed Banding or Vertical lines issue on this model 'Samsung 43E490' as this a common problem in the Plasma's ?

Hi,

Any one ever noticed Banding or Vertical lines issue on this model 'Samsung 43E490' as this a common problem in the Plasma's ?

am using this tv from past 1 week and playing all 16:9 and 4:3 movies with blackbars horizontal and vertical. i didn't find any issues till now.

Thanks Nero ! That's Awesome :clapping: , so I guess plasma's from Samsung is more reliable when compared to Panny. So With Minimal care(which is required for Plasma tv's) this is the best buy product one who can purchase by closing eye's :licklips:

Plz correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Nero ! That's Awesome :clapping: , so I guess plasma's from Samsung is more reliable when compared to Panny. So With Minimal care(which is required for Plasma tv's) this is the best buy product one who can purchase by closing eye's :licklips:

You need to take a lot of care otherwise you will get plasma burn-in which is a major problem with plasma's and this is not covered under warranty, also this tv is like a mirror with massive reflections, also no headphone jack and no full hd resolution, my advise is to get an LED tv by increasing your budget or get from grey market if budget is a problem.

Plasma models from Panasonic are quite reliable. Sometimes someone ends up with a defective model - lcdfreak is one such unfortunate individual. Burn-in, which is permanent is not an issue at all unless panel is really abused. Image retention, which is temporary can be an issue if same channel is watched over and and over; but it can be got rid of quickly. One has to take care with the plasma panel. If you do, the plasma TV will yield a lot of joy a its picture quality is far superior to the equivalent priced and even much higher priced LED models.

Want no problem, switch on/watch/switch off, no special care but average picture quality TV, then LED is the model for you.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Hi,

I am using this TV since August 2012 and I haven't seen any Banding or Vertical lines.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back