Packing a plasma television

kneo

While this may not be a technical DIY requirement/query, this seemed to be the best place to put in the query.

I have a working 42 incher plasma for which I don't have any box or packing material. I want to transport it to my folks who stay 300 kms away where I drive regularly in my car. I have an option of transporting the TV myself in the car provided I can pack the TV as safely as it was originally packed when I bought it. My questions are as follows

1. Is transporting it in a car a safe option? The last thing I want is for the TV to have a cracked screens because I drove over some bumps!
  2. Where can one purchase a box and required packing material for this? Ideally thermocol would have been preferred but now it's banned so the next closest option is bubble wrap. Is that safe?
  3. In absence of these, which is the other cost efficient method to transport the TV? Am not sure how much a professional courier would charge for this.

I guess thermocol sheets are available at stationaty shops. In case it is not you may use packing materials left from some other electronics or appliances.

If its not possible you may have to improvise. Make balls from old newpapers as cushion for screen and secure the corners of TV by foam or sponge pieces.

Sponge is readily available so use it in ample quantity.

Buy a 6 ply corrugated sheet and wrap it around the TV and secure with duct tape.

All these steps are generic ones you may have to improvise but I think it should be safe with above, in a car if roads are not too bad.

Hope this helps..

Cheers

If you are transporting yourself, below are somethings you may want to consider (they may sound crude...)
- The TV should always be vertical, never place it face down or face up.
- If it doesnt have a stand, ensure you put it back on, otherwise there is increased risk of damage
- get some good quality pillows to pad both the front and back.
- put a comforter as first layer if you still feel nervous about the pillows
- put a thick sheet under to absorb vibrations during driving. couple of car mats (esp rubber ones) are extemely beneficial.
- through all this ensure the TV doesnt shake back/forth while driving. few degrees are OK, but significant shifts are definitely bad.

I transported my panasonic S30 (43'') from Chennai to My native (400+kms) in a car. Since its wagonr, i managed to keep my plasma vertical. Also it was highway and not much bumps. Also tv was with original packaging. I suggest do bubble wrap your with 4 or 3 layers and drive slowly

Sending Plasma, LED tvs by courier service is very dangerous. The courier people just put steps & walk on the tv parcel. I have seen this scene in Fedex courier office many time. Definitely the tv will not be delivered in good condition.

Sending Plasma, LED tvs by courier service is very dangerous. The courier people just put steps & walk on the tv parcel. I have seen this scene in Fedex courier office many time. Definitely the tv will not be delivered in good condition.
This is absolutely scary! Looks like too much trouble for a 10 year old plasma! It makes sense to sell it off and then buy a new one at the other place.

I inquired about this in a BlueDart office. They told enclose the plasma tv ( in original packing) with a wooden box. This is how the manufacturers like Vu ,sony and Samsung import their tvs via ships. They(Bludart) are charging Rs. 250/kg.

Back