PAL to NTSC conversion for Tata Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

prakashcs

I have a US bought Samsung LCD HDTV that only takes in NTSC signals. I also bought from US the Denon AVR 1610 receiver wrongly believing that it would convert PAL to NTSC signals. Recently I hooked the Tata Sky STB (Set Top Box) to my receiver to my TV but I am getting a picture without color (clearly a case of the PAL signal not being converted to NTSC).

I see the following 4 options now:
1. Get a STB which outputs HDMI: As far as I understand this really isnt an option since there are no STBs (from Tata Sky or AirTel or anyone else) that output in HDMI. Is that correct?
2. Buy a receiver that does the needed conversion: Denon's next model AVR 1900 does the trick but selling my current receiver might not fetch much and buying a new one here in India will be expensive too. So this too is not an option.
3. Buy a PAL-to-NTSC convertor.
4. Buy a new TV - trying to avoid this if I can.

So, what PAL-to-NTSC convertor should I buy? Are there any well known brands? I heard from someone that these convertors typically dont work well (i.e. poor video quality with pictures shaking etc.). Is that true? Is anyone using a convertor that is working well and if so, where did you buy it from?

Thanks for help!
Prakash (from Bangalore)

Did you check sun hd set top box. It seems, it will support ntsc tvs.

cheers,

Earlier i also faced same issue with TV which i take and options for NTSC only where in our country work PAL---if you are using HDMI direct connection (DISH -TATA-Reliance HD BOX ) then no issues at all , otherwise you will required NTSC to PAL convertor but very good quality otherwise you will face jitter and picture delay or poor contrast /pictures on TV ..and there is certain losses comes due to conversion .
Iam using TV with Dish cable because with Db9 VGA- connector and left right Audio,
That work fantastic from so many year without facing even single issues .

Airtel, Tata Sky, sun direct etc. all have HD set top boxes. They do come with HDMI and will solve ur problem.

Since you have an HD TV going for an HD STB really makes sense and HD is the way forward too ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back