pana x10 or philips 5609/5409 / samsung b530 32"

sunilgct

Hi ,

More and more choices so lies the confusion. After going thru all brands , i finally narrowed upon these three choices.

I am looking for a 32" LCD TV primarily for SD virwing via Bigtv or airtel . This is for my parents room , viewing distance approx 6-8 feet . Budget max 35k .

Panasonic
I already have one PV8 plasma , no problem with it whatsoever and LCD X10 Price is 29500 INR. It is HDR tv and also i get 3 yrs warranty on the panel till 31st dec 2009.

Samsung B530
I just happened to this in the showroom , the picture quality was good , though i didnt play around with the settings.
budget 37K +sun dth connection+dvd player free , though i am not interested in any freebies , so effective price somes to around 35K without any freebie.

Philips 5609
I havent hrd abt it much earlier until i serioulsy started searching for reviews for 32 lCD tv. Spor as well as Net cmd and quite few people have already vouched for its picture qulality , might want to try this and looked into the spec in philips website , quite detailed and tv also looks good.

Now need your suggestion to zero down upon for 32 LCD TV.Earlier I got my PV8 plasma purely based on reviews from this forum and team BHP (thanks to MADBULLRAM oops Ram ... for that )

Appreciate your inputs.

regards
Sunil.s

Sprivolous ,

i checked today with philips 5609 at arena showroom in jayanagar , bangalore. I was least impressed with SD Content in TATA-sky.not sure if its an issue with the tata-sky splitter but man seriously it was not that good to my naked eyes and moreover he quoted 35900 Net after all discounts. So not that impressed , may be i have to look upon b530 samsung which is available at 33500 net or pana x10 at 29500 and quite good picture quality when compared to philips. Atleast thats wat i have observed. Incase if you a better place in bangalore where they can demo it properly for philips , would still have a look before zeroing upon.

Cheers
sun

Thatswhy I connected DVDp directly to 5609 & was looking better than Sony V550 in overall PQ.
Samy B450/550 is another set which is very good with SD.
I checked all models with DVDp direct connections.Even Pany too.
Still select OR test which one you do like.:)

Hi Sun,

I am going to buy Philips 5609 from the same showroom (The one near Jayanagar telephone exchange). I have been to that showroom four times till now, and I was pretty impressed with the owner of the showroom (Dilip Sanghvi, and especially Jai who I think is Dilip's son).
Yes I agree, the Tata Sky SD picture quality is not "awesome", but then I checked other brands too (Samsung plaza in BTM & Koramangala, Sony World Koramangala, Panasonic Koramangala & Jayanagar, Croma, E zone, Adishwar Domlur and Jayanagar, Big Bazaar, Total Mall, etc etc). I even checked out many showrooms in Chennai (Philips arena on Mount Road, Samsung & Sony showrooms in Tambaram, etc), and I got to tell you that comparatively, I found Philips better than all the others, particularly in this segment (32 inch LCD in price window of 25 to 40,000 INR)
One of the reasons for the poor Tata Sky quality is they use the same set top box to feed into multiple TVs, and also that they use a long co-axial cable to feed in the signals to the TV, all this distorts the picture quality. I found Samsung, LG to be even worse. The Tata Sky SD quality will definitely be better at home than what we see in the showrooms.

Even I did not hear of Philips LCD before I visited this forum, and was almost going to buy the Sony V550A or S550A, just because of the brand and it being a safest bet. But then found that V series which has almost all the features of Philips 5609 (though not all, like it can only play mpeg 1 video format via USB) is almost 10,000 INR more than Philips 5609, after all the discounts. And one day I took couple of movies in my USB (in regular .avi format, each file is 700MB size), and tried it in 5609 in the Jayanagar showroom, and I was very impressed with the picture quality, even for these mediocre 700 MB avi files. So I just cant wait to see full DVD quality & blu ray disc movies on my 5609, it would be even better & superb. And I somehow find the sound in Philips 5609 is slightly better than all the other brands, in this segment.

But after discussing with many people here in this forum (Ram & Spiro in particular), and some of my other electronic freak friends, I am pretty sure that I am taking the right decision. And they also showed me the article in the famous "What Hi Fi" mag of US, in which it has rated the Philips 5609 as the best 32 " LCD TV in India, for the year 2009. I also eventually realized that Philips LCD TV are the largest selling in Europe. Recently Samsung outsold Philips in UK. The only concern that I had (and also as Ram suggested), Philips is not believed to be great in after sales service, atleast in India. But I did some research on the net, and also Spiro had a good experience with them in Mumbai. I also found their website very useful, in terms of support & customer (like online chat with customer care guys), etc. And they have four authorized service centers in Bangalore. I did find lot of unhappy Philips customers when I saw reviews in the internet, but then I also found good amount of unhappy Sony customers too. So I think that especially when the warranty is over, no matter which brand it is, depending on the situation (the product you've bought, the place where you are, your luck, etc), there will be problems in service. Let it be Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic or Philips. I have found this in the last 2 months of research, in the internet. So I felt, even service wise, Philips may not be that bad (though I still have some reservations in my mind, but am ready to take the risk, as no other brand is giving me the features & value in my budget, that Philips is giving).

But this is just my opinion and what I've seen myself in the last one month of hunting for my first LCD TV. You got to make a decision based upon what you see, and what you like. :)

Give me your name & number, I can talk to those Philips Jayanagar guys to see if they can give a discount.

Last edited:
Hi Sun,

One of the reasons for the poor Tata Sky quality is they use the same set top box to feed into multiple TVs, and also that they use a long co-axial cable to feed in the signals to the TV, all this distorts the picture quality. The Tata Sky SD quality will definitely be better than what we swee in the showrooms.

I am even impressed with my Dishtv connected with composite(not component)I m sure Tatasky with direct componet connection will be better.
see some smple picture of dishtv with 5609-

http://www.hifivision.com/television/6754-my-new-philips-pfl5609-lcdtv.html

Hi,

Just bought a Philips 32inch 5409 + DVP3368 + Onkyo3200. Chose 5409 over 5609 as PQ difference between full HD and HD ready in 32 inch TVs is marginal. 1080p Does Matter Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com . Compared with Samsung LA32B530 and found the PQ to be marginally better in color reproduction although the Philips showed greater variance with viewing angle. Initial tests are good with plenty of options and a intuitive way to personalize settings with the help of inbuilt images. USB port on the TV and DVD player played most of my avi files without any glitches. Tried the Omaha scene(5.1Ch) from Saving Private Ryan and the HT sounds pretty good. Have some more DVDs lined up before a more detailed review. Total cost of the system is 55500/-.

Cheers

Hi Animesh,

I am intending to buy Philips 32inch 5409 after reading the reviews on this forum. Can you please tell me where in Bangalore you bought the TV from?

If one were to buy just the TV, what would be the approx price?

Thanks,
Bikram
Hi,

Just bought a Philips 32inch 5409 + DVP3368 + Onkyo3200. Chose 5409 over 5609 as PQ difference between full HD and HD ready in 32 inch TVs is marginal. 1080p Does Matter Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com . Compared with Samsung LA32B530 and found the PQ to be marginally better in color reproduction although the Philips showed greater variance with viewing angle. Initial tests are good with plenty of options and a intuitive way to personalize settings with the help of inbuilt images. USB port on the TV and DVD player played most of my avi files without any glitches. Tried the Omaha scene(5.1Ch) from Saving Private Ryan and the HT sounds pretty good. Have some more DVDs lined up before a more detailed review. Total cost of the system is 55500/-.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back