Panasonic AX 200 720p Value

Hi,
while you are at it take a look at this one as well.
Dell? 1609WX Projector

costed us 51K and is a amazing buy as far as the brightenss and color accuracy is concerned. The contrast ratio is decent for the price paid, (not the best IMO).

Overall a decent buy at the price point.

Hi,
while you are at it take a look at this one as well.
Dell? 1609WX Projector

costed us 51K and is a amazing buy as far as the brightenss and color accuracy is concerned. The contrast ratio is decent for the price paid, (not the best IMO).

Overall a decent buy at the price point.

Is this 720p? Is it for office or home?

I got my pana 200 ceiling mounted this sat. Projector worked fine before this when I used the included HDMI cable and used to throw the image on the wall.
Suddenly after the installation with 10 mtr (30 ft) HDMI cable - the picture flickers fairly often (for a very short duration, you may pass it off as a blink of your eye) but at other times, the blue screen shows up for a second or two, as if projector has lost signal.
I am still assuming it is the new HDMI cable or interconnect problem as lot of dust was flying around (and I was not at home during the setup).

Or could it be the same problem you guys are talking about in this thread? I think I was running it mostly in "Game" mode and not in economy mode.

regards

Sorry buddy, it seems that you are struck with famous flicker problem of Panasonic AX 200!
Dust is a big no-no around around projectors. I suggest that people should keep PJs wrapped when not in use.
HDMI usually either works or not works. It should not flicker due to bad connect. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting to see if problem goes away.

I got my pana 200 ceiling mounted this sat. Projector worked fine before this when I used the included HDMI cable and used to throw the image on the wall.
Suddenly after the installation with 10 mtr (30 ft) HDMI cable - the picture flickers fairly often (for a very short duration, you may pass it off as a blink of your eye) but at other times, the blue screen shows up for a second or two, as if projector has lost signal.
I am still assuming it is the new HDMI cable or interconnect problem as lot of dust was flying around (and I was not at home during the setup).

Or could it be the same problem you guys are talking about in this thread? I think I was running it mostly in "Game" mode and not in economy mode.

regards

Well the pana 200 is famous for the flicker problem that's the reason it is not in my list for purchase or recommendation, though many users on this forum own the same , the problem may not come in all the machines, but those who get it can't live with it,

You may have a hdmi cable issue or a signal issue, check that out first, bu switching cables or players and see if the problem exists .

For cross checking the flicker issue u can always check with component or composite connection to see if you are getting similar flickering in that too.

Also turn auto iris off, lot of times it can be the cause for the flickering,

Try the above steps , hopefully everything should work out fine.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will test more with signals other than HDMI - composite video for tata sky and vga for laptop. Will watch the cricket match on big screen tomorrow.
Unfortunately, my laptop screen too flickers very often like blink of eye. Could it be a problem with me than my equipment :D

BTW - I think it getting blue screen could not be an iris problem - it is a complete loss of signal.

Last edited:
Hi anm,

Which HDMI cable (10 meter one) did you go for?

It seems to be like a cable issue. Once in the 10 meter mark, quality issues in the some of the lesser makes show up.

Do update after testing. Happy viewing.

Do not know the brand for the cable. The person who setup the projector - I took it on his goodwill for around 3k. I talked to him and he is ready to replace the cable if there is any fault with it. This person has done projector installations at my office, so I got good price - he claims he didn't make any money on my transaction. Did it only because of relation with the company.

The person who brought the installation stuff removed the packing before getting it to keep his load minimum as he was riding a bike (or he could be taking me for a ride by giving this stupid reason).

I watched some TV (tata sky over composite) - there was no flickering. I am pretty sure it is not an iris issue - as yet. My projector is still clean.

Then I switched DVD player to my older to philips 5986 and watched two movies. No flicker at all. Eliminates both cable and projector out of the issue.

Then I brought back the philips 5996 DVD player, connected everything properly and watched same DVD for 10-15 mins. No flicker at all. I thought everything is fine it was just a loose connection.

However, last night I again faced the flicker issue with the 5996 dvd player. Frequency was much lesser than the earlier. Saw it only twice (blue screen - projector thought it lost the signal - normal flickering couldn't be noticed) while loading a movie. Could not spend much time, but in 20-30 mins I spent, the issue wasn't as bothering as it was earlier.
Culprit seems to be either the DVD player, or the connection with this DVD player - maybe it has dust etc in the hdmi slot.

Will test more. Some family members would be coming over on Sat to watch movies and will delegate some testing to them ;)

Some notes - I was watching movie/ TV and as soon as tubelight was turned on, the image got washed out. I was watching in normal mode. I hadn't tried the most bright modes on this projector critically as yet - since turning off light was easier. This time it wasn't an option, so I turned to dynamic mode, and suddenly image was so bright I wasn't bothered by the light. Blacks were still washed out, but no projector can throw black light - they can only cut off light to show black areas. I think I love my projector :)
Maybe some day I would be able to mod it to 1080p by purchasing LCD panels as spares. The projector inherently accepts 1080p/24 signals. I assume the lower resolution is only because of the resolution of the LCD panels.

regards

Last edited:
Maybe some day I would be able to mod it to 1080p by purchasing LCD panels as spares. The projector inherently accepts 1080p/24 signals. I assume the lower resolution is only because of the resolution of the LCD panels.

Well that sounds really interesting...keep us in loop man n best of luck ;)

On the sidenote, I guess you need to have a supported cirtcuitry as well, as there would be no fun going in for a high-res LCDs without any support from the underlying PJs circuit boards. The PJ may not accept other ones. Anyways, you serious or something!!

Cheers!
Arminder

Last edited:
Hi

Some notes - I was watching movie/ TV and as soon as tubelight was turned on, the image got washed out. I was watching in normal mode. I hadn't tried the most bright modes on this projector critically as yet - since turning off light was easier. This time it wasn't an option, so I turned to dynamic mode, and suddenly image was so bright I wasn't bothered by the light. Blacks were still washed out, but no projector can throw black light - they can only cut off light to show black areas. I think I love my projector :)

It is recommended to watch with the projector at movie or standard or other "warm" modes as the vivid or bright modes tend to burn out the bulbs pretty fast not to say that the picture will look artificial. Many 720P projectors when tuned properly will look stunning, sometime better than a LCD TV itself.

Vivid or dynamic mode also causes a fair bit of eye strain.

Hi Marsilians,
Any tips on tuning this projector? I need some ambient light and that was the reason to by this bright projector.

Hi

It is recommended to watch with the projector at movie or standard or other "warm" modes as the vivid or bright modes tend to burn out the bulbs pretty fast not to say that the picture will look artificial. Many 720P projectors when tuned properly will look stunning, sometime better than a LCD TV itself.

Vivid or dynamic mode also causes a fair bit of eye strain.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back