Panasonic DMP BDT220 - anyone lucky making it region free ?

anilkc2000

After buying this from a forum member(who had got this new from US) on an impulse, I realized that many of the DVDs that my son watches (like Rio) are Region 2&5 (and not ALL as I had wrongly assumed). For new buys, I now know to look out for 'ALL' region DVDs, but wondering whether there is a way to salvage the 'non-compatible' ones in the existing collection. I do see a few threads online which talks about success in converting this player to a 'multi-region' one (using modified firmware or a specific Universal remote); most sound too complicated/unreliable. So thought will post in this forum - Anyone out there who had success making BDT220 region free ? And/or ready to guide on how to ? Please PM - if it is difficult to post.

Trying to attempt some weekend magic so that my son is elated when he gets back from his Saturday field trip...otherwise I have to continue being the one 'who doled out dough on a fundu player which cannot play most DVDs' :)

I can confirm that I have made this region free. This was done by a firmware update.

Before updating the firmware, the following message were displayed:

100_0940.jpg

DVD Play - Region mismatch error

100_0941.jpg

BD Play - Region Mismatch error

Refer to website for details.

Last edited:
I have a significant number of Region 2 DVDs (over 50). I have mostly region free BDs but around 5 are region A. One is Region A/B (X-Men: Wolverine). All my BD's and DVDs are playing now.

I am actually planning to buy this from infibeam - comes to about INR 12,000 with a coupon.....and indian warranty

Amazon+SNS was coming to INR 10900 - I'd much rather have an indian warranty

I tried looking into firmwareinfo - but couldnt find any information on the cost?

Hello just4kix Bro

I have Panasonic BDT-220 Bluray Player . Can you help me to make it region free.

I can confirm that I have made this region free. This was done by a firmware update.

Before updating the firmware, the following message were displayed:

100_0940.jpg

DVD Play - Region mismatch error

100_0941.jpg

BD Play - Region Mismatch error

Refer to website for details.

As you're earlier thread has become really long a quick question @just4kix.
I don't really need the blu ray region free as I have the sony 490 too as an alternate so
is there a way to make the 220 region free for dvd without the firmware upgrade.
Cheers!!

As you're earlier thread has become really long a quick question @just4kix.
I don't really need the blu ray region free as I have the sony 490 too as an alternate so
is there a way to make the 220 region free for dvd without the firmware upgrade.
Cheers!!
To be honest, no idea. The region free firmware works for BD as well as DVD. The good thing about the firmware is that once you have changed the region code of DVD from one region to another and then back or forth, you don't have to do it again. Meaning as follows:

a) You change the DVD region code to 1 to play region 1 DVD
b) Now you change the DVD region code to 2 to play region 2 DVD
c) While the player is still set to region 2, you pop-in a Region 1 DVD - it will play because the region code was set to 1 earlier
d) So effectively, if you set the DVD region code of the player to 1,2,3,4,5,6 one after other, there is no need to manually set the DVD region code again. The player is now effectively region free without requiring changes henceforth. This is what I have done.

Region code is changed (from original remote) as follows:

a) Press Option
b) Press 2 7 0 8 one after other
c) Presss any one (and only one) of 1/2/3/4/5/6 to set DVD region code
d) Press any one (and only one) of 1/2/3 to set the BD region code

On the whole, it is very much worth to get the region free firmware for a small donation of 30 + Paypal charges. No more worries. :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back