Panasonic P42V20 vs LG 42LH90

adder, Sam9s - I used to believe that plasmas are leagues ahead of LCDs when it comes to picture quality but now, after proper experimenting I've come to know that this is not necessarily the case with budget plasmas. My sincere apologies if you think I've misrepresented information before.

adder, Sam9s - I used to believe that plasmas are leagues ahead of LCDs when it comes to picture quality but now, after proper experimenting I've come to know that this is not necessarily the case with budget plasmas. My sincere apologies if you think I've misrepresented information before.

No need for any kind of apologies:),everyone has their opinions and everyone learns ,at some point we all were newbies and were less enlightened.

Blasto, you take the pains to dig through my 3 month old posts but why is that you aren't quoting posts where I've actually said I'm dissatisfied with my TV's performance and that I'm pissed off with Samsung ? You're just imagining I said all this. If you want to remain oblivious to B450's weaknesses, have fun enjoying your TV and keep your 'expert' opinions to yourself. And argue like a civilized man with rational arguments and stop using phrases like " 'bark' elsewhere".

I did not imagining anything. Your post below triggered my query as to why you thought opions are useless while you are satisfied with the suggested TV from a post further below. And you are dissatisfied only after knowing that DD processing is taking time?

I'm not here to suggest models to the OP. In fact, I honestly think it's useless to ask for buying advice in Hifivision. More often than not, people simply suggest the brands/technologies they own without even considering the OP's real requirements. (You, for example, have a strong preference for Samsung. I've seen you suggest C550 in many threads and even claim it's 90% as good as VT20 even though you've not even seen either model yet.)

Seriously, I'm posting in buying advice threads only to have fun pointing out the invalidity of the 'expert' claims made there. :) And, it's probably useful for the forum too.

I'll tell my personal experience then. Two of my neighbours (one owing a Samsung LCD and another owing a Sony Edge Lit LED brought from the US) came home to look at my setup and the first thing they said was, "Wow! Your TV looks great. Is it an LED?" One even guessed my TV's cost as 1.2L! Both were shocked when I said my TV was the basic Samsung B450 plasma costing 42K.

And everyone gets amazed when I play Avatar or Sivaji blu ray. They usually say stuff like, "This is even better than theatres." Even my cousin who does visual effects for movies and spends his day looking at professional LCD monitors asked me, "The picture quality is excellent. Is this LED?"

So much praise for a basic plasma.

People generally have no idea about plasmas and they get surprised by their picture quality when they see one in home ambience.

You are only contradicting yourself. Did the visitors to your home come in the night to view the TV then? Iam just making sure are not writing in the heat of the moment by the trauma caused by defective panel.

You still did not answer the question on what would you have bought if you were to buy the TV options present 2 months ago.

Also measuring black level with black screen is bad. You won't get the actual difference between white and black areas in the screen.

Black level is one thing I can show you through pictures. There are other problems too, like non-neutral colors, color dithering and sometimes flickering (both due to the same reason, PWM method used in plasmas.) and temporary image retention (because of which, moving white objects on a black background, create black trails) that degrades pictures quality on B450. I can't show you these problems through pictures. You could download a color spectrum sheet to check the PWM issues. You could check rolling credits to check for the image retention issue. Once you know what these problems are you'll start noticing them while watching movies too.

Regarding colour reproduction, B550 produced most actual colours last year. If you want expert opinion, refer Samsung Plasma Review - PN50B550 at Plasma TV Buying Guide. Since you are of the opinion C450 and C550 are same but for the resolution, the same holds true for B450 and B550 too according to you. Your coment on unnatural colours is wrong. You will only be dissapointed with other TVs too.

Regadring rolling credits issue. I think you are reading too many things from the net and verifying it in your TV without enjoying it. I dont notice it if all Iam doing is concentrating on the credits and picture. That does not mean the plasma is flawless Iam just saying you are building things up as you are planning to change it. Let me see if you end up an LCD and are happy with it. Now V20 is the only options which will satisfy your criteria but it was not released when you did the purchase and hence could not have been recommended.

And I agree, I have a darker curtain. Most of the plasma TV owners have windows with curtains and are happy.

I did not imagining anything. Your post below triggered my query as to why you thought opions are useless while you are satisfied with the suggested TV from a post further below. And you are dissatisfied only after knowing that DD processing is taking time?

Instead of asking me questions, just quote a post where I said I'm dissatisfied with my TV's performance if you're sure you aren't imagining.

Why I think opinions from HFV are useless? Dig the archives again and read the next line in the post where I said that.

You are only contradicting yourself. Did the visitors to your home come in the night to view the TV then? Iam just making sure are not writing in the heat of the moment by the trauma caused by defective panel.

You still did not answer the question on what would you have bought if you were to buy the TV options present 2 months ago.

Yes, the visitors came at night. I've already said I use the TV rarely during daytime. This is the reason why my next TV too will be a plasma. And dude! Trauma? Once again, stop imagining. Being opportunist or not, I in fact have got a killer deal, thanks to the defective panel. And why should I go back to the past and think what I could've bought 2 months back? I am only thinking what to buy next. :)

Also measuring black level with black screen is bad. You won't get the actual difference between white and black areas in the screen.

What would you measure black levels with then? A white screen? A black screen is what black levels are measured with. You're confusing contrast and black levels.

Regarding colour reproduction, B550 produced most actual colours last year. If you want expert opinion, refer Samsung Plasma Review - PN50B550 at Plasma TV Buying Guide. Since you are of the opinion C450 and C550 are same but for the resolution, the same holds true for B450 and B550 too according to you. Your coment on unnatural colours is wrong. You will only be dissapointed with other TVs too.

Regadring rolling credits issue. I think you are reading too many things from the net and verifying it in your TV without enjoying it. I dont notice it if all Iam doing is concentrating on the credits and picture. That does not mean the plasma is flawless Iam just saying you are building things up as you are planning to change it. Let me see if you end up an LCD and are happy with it. Now V20 is the only options which will satisfy your criteria but it was not released when you did the purchase and hence could not have been recommended.

And I agree, I have a darker curtain. Most of the plasma TV owners have windows with curtains and are happy.

An expert site named plasmatvbuyingguide.com ? Seriously? That's an advertising site posing as a review site and luring people into clicking ads and generating referral revenues. You wouldn't find one TV that's rated poorly there. And who is this expert, Robert Wiley anyway ?

TIR doesn't bother you because you don't want to be bothered by it. Even my 10 year old nephews notice it while playing games and point it out to me.

Ok. I've made all my points clear and I'm done arguing with you. If you want more clarifications, just dig through the archives again and read everything I've said and not selectively read only things you want to read.

Instead of asking me questions, just quote a post where I said I'm dissatisfied with my TV's performance if you're sure you aren't imagining.

Why I think opinions from HFV are useless? Dig the archives again and read the next line in the post where I said that.

Yes, the visitors came at night. I've already said I use the TV rarely during daytime. This is the reason why my next TV too will be a plasma. And dude! Trauma? Once again, stop imagining. Being opportunist or not, I in fact have got a killer deal, thanks to the defective panel. And why should I go back to the past and think what I could've bought 2 months back? I am only thinking what to buy next. :)

What would you measure black levels with then? A white screen? A black screen is what black levels are measured with. You're confusing contrast and black levels.

An expert site named plasmatvbuyingguide.com ? Seriously? That's an advertising site posing as a review site and luring people into clicking ads and generating referral revenues. You wouldn't find one TV that's rated poorly there. And who is this expert, Robert Wiley anyway ?

TIR doesn't bother you because you don't want to be bothered by it. Even my 10 year old nephews notice it while playing games and point it out to me.

Ok. I've made all my points clear and I'm done arguing with you. If you want more clarifications, just dig through the archives again and read everything I've said and not selectively read only things you want to read.

You did not answer what is the TV you could have bought when you started to buy the TV 2 months back because it is the same one you will have bought. You also say that you are not dissatisfied with the TV. I say again, You would have bought the same TV even with all the research you did. That points to the correct suggestion. Do you agree that the suggestion is correct or not is the final question!

It is easy to selectively pick reviews from the net which you like and junk others. I have personally auditioned THX certified creative speakers which are junk. So the THX expert you refer may not be god in that aspect.

I have already mentioned that people recommend the brand they own because they did the reseach before narrowing in. Only thing is, it should fit the requirements. I will be surprised if they own someting and refer something else unless something is wrong with what they own or with them.

And as I have already told, It is not hard to guess that your next TV will be a plasma given you owned one.

After a lot of confusion and switching between P42V20 and 50PK550, ultimately. I realized that over the course of next year, my viewing content would move from majority-SD to majority-HD. Hence, settled on PK550.
Got a sweet deal as well. Booked it at 61.5K from Ezone, Bangalore. Should be here tomorrow.

How do I close this thread now?

Btw, thanks to all the folks who helped me know more about plasma TVs in general, and these two models in particular. Appreciate it.

After a lot of confusion and switching between P42V20 and 50PK550, ultimately. I realized that over the course of next year, my viewing content would move from majority-SD to majority-HD. Hence, settled on PK550.
Got a sweet deal as well. Booked it at 61.5K from Ezone, Bangalore.

Which eZone did you get this deal at?

Got a sweet deal as well. Booked it at 61.5K from Ezone, Bangalore. Should be here tomorrow.

Did you do a comparison on reflection front? That is the only problem I see after looking at the posts by munnu.

One question v20.How much heat is generated okay/medium/heavy.If you have to wall mount against veneer wall does it generate enuf to damage wood/laminate in long run ?

In that case you should have deleted the 'quote' in your post too. Otherwise it seems like a simple way garner attention to that particular post.

post and quote deleted. Happy now? . Anyway, I am assuming you read vramak's post regarding plasmas viz-a-viz LCD TVs :p

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back