Panasonic P42V20 vs LG 42LH90

harty

Hi.
I am thoroughly confused between Panny V20 & LG LH90. I am an average user, watching daily SD (including majorly sports content), weekly movies, and approx half an hour a day of HD content. Also, my TV is going to be place about 5 feet from a 7'x6' french window which would be to the right of the TV.
Considering these facts, I cannot decide between the above too models.
I would love the get the Panny, but am worried about reflection and floating blacks. I can't find anything wrong right now with the LG LH90, but I think it won't match the PQ of the plasma.
What would the owners of these two models suggest?

Do you think the reflection on V20 would be negligible?
I cannot find a demo piece in any of the showrooms, where I can take a look at it.

^ It should be while playing video and also you can always turn the tv and avoid the refection as much as possible.Both LCD and Plasma reflect IMO.

The tv should be available at the Panasonic out let in your city otherwise stores like Croma,Ezone should have it.

I had spent good amount of time audition-ing the Pana V10 (50 model) during Dec09/ Jan10. Frankly, I thought in terms of PQ this one was better than any other LCD or Plasma (>= 40 size) available in India. However, V10 didnt have a 42 model and 50 one was beyond my budget. I had settled for 42LH90.
If V20 is as good as or better than V10 as everyone is saying it is surely a better choice than LH90.
However, some minor points to note:
1. LH90 surely has much less reflection than V10 (& likely V20). I sometimes watch TV with the French window next to the TV open (during day time) or with all the lights on (evening time), but dont find any notice-able reflection. If you can control the light coming through the nearby window (with curtains/ blinds) and also the lighting in the room (during evenings) making sure the TV screen doesnt get exposed to direct ambient light, then this is not an issue for V10/V20.
2. The power consumption in V20 will surely be ~400 W (or more) as compared to < 200 W in case of LH90. This may not be an issue for most people. However, in my case I had a backup limit of 500 W in my apartment and I didnt want to invest on a separate backup power source (V10 had a power rating of ~535 W) just for watching TV.

On a different note if your viewing distance is >= 10 ft, why dont you consider the new 50 plasma models from Samsung (C550) or LG (PK550)? They should be available for the same price as 42 V20.

However, some minor points to note:
1. If you can control the light coming through the nearby window (with curtains/ blinds) and also the lighting in the room (during evenings) making sure the TV screen doesnt get exposed to direct ambient light, then this is not an issue for V10/V20.
+1 to this. As long as you can control the light coming thru the window (blinds/curtains), you should not have too much of an issue.
2. The power consumption in V20 will surely be ~400 W (or more)... (V10 had a power rating of ~535 W)
The 42" V20 has a maximum power consuption rating of 350 watts. Also, do keep in mind, that a plasma does not use the same amount of power at all times. It's power consumption is dependent on the kind of scene being displayed. Since, 350 watts is the maximum consumption rating, I am sure the average consumption would be 300 watts or even less.
On a different note if your viewing distance is >= 10 ft, why dont you consider the new 50 plasma models from Samsung (C550) or LG (PK550)? They should be available for the same price as 42 V20.
I too would strongly recommend atleast looking at the Samsung 50 " C550 as a better value for money than the 42" V20. There really is not much to gain by the extra resolution of Full HD compared to a HD Ready TV in a 42" size. In fact, the wow factor of the extra 8 inches in a 50" TV is definately greater than what you would get from the extra resolution.

I personally don't mind pulling up curtains while watching tv. However, my parents are less concerned with PQ, and would find it a nuisance to darken the living room while watching tv during day time. Though, this is a manageable situation, and not a deal breaker.
I have a 1KVA backup, and with my refrigerator and washing machine running, I would find it difficult to keep the TV on. I would probably have to turn off the WM or Fridge everytime there's a power flip (which is 4~5 times a day in bangalore :))
My viewing distance is 8~9 feet, and with >50% content being SD for now, I don't want to go in for 50". I am skeptical about the IR issue on LG (almost everyone seems to be unanimous on that one), and personally IR would probably irritate me. I am wary of Samsung plasma service, and hence Panny seemed to me to be the best bet. Kindly let me know if I am mistaken.
CNET reviews seem to be rating LH90 quite high in terms of blacks, and also PQ and motion resolution and reduced blur.
Also, is floating blacks a big issue on 2010 Panny? I could live the gradual rising blacks, but if floating blacks is significant, it would be an irritant I guess.

Saumitra, what's your feedback on the LH90? Any significant issues, especially related to motion-blur? I intend to view a lot of sporting action, including cricket, tennis, football and most importantly, F1.

I would be lying if I say I dont notice any motion-blur in LH90. Definitely plasma will be better in this front. But do note that this motion blur is notice-able only in real high-speed action sequences (like car-chase scenes in a movie). I also watch a lot of live sports (tennis, football, cricket and occasionally F1). Frankly, I have seen notice-able motion-blur only in F1.
One other small point unless you really want to use your TV more for watching movies a good LCD (like LH90 or Samsungs B650) is probably a better choice over a good plasma (G10, V20). I had compared Samsungs B650 (46) LCD side-by-side with Pana G10 (42) & V10 (50) and I thought with TataSky DTH signal B650 was much better than the Pana plasmas while both G10 & V10 (especially V10) were clearly the winner ahead of the B650 LCD while watching movies (DVD and blu-ray). I also thought for watching from a closer distance (< 9 ft), especially with DTH, the LCD was much easier on the eye with less visible pixel-ation in the screen.
I rate LH90 same as B650 in terms of PQ. In general, I am absolutely happy with LH90 and have faced no issues so far.
Somehow going by your intended use, lighting conditions & preferences and viewing distance I personally think a 40/42 LCD is probably a better choice. Recently I saw the 2010 Sony LCDs (EX400, EX500) and found them to be quite good. I think you should settle for one among LG 42LH90, Samsung 40B650 or C650 (if either is available) & Sony EX500.

Last edited:
+1 for the Panasonic V20. There is no comparison between my LG 42PQ60 and the Panasonic v20. Though this is not the LG model you are comparing but still.

I am also looking for 42" Plasma but Sammy C450 is not available in Blore. B450 is available but is an old model. Is samsung planning to get out of Plasma?

Hoz the LED as compared to Plasma? I can spend the extra money if its really worth it, specially since service may be easier for LED. I saw Sony EX700 series yday, it had amazing colors and PQ.

Unable to decide what to do. My req is 90% SD and 10% movie.

+1 for the Panasonic V20. There is no comparison between my LG 42PQ60 and the Panasonic v20. Though this is not the LG model you are comparing but still.

PQ60 is bad.
LH90 is better but still bad.
I have seen only G10 and these are incomparable to LG plasmas.
Samsung C550 could come as close as it gets to G10. Really.. The pros and cons only match.. But since the 42" G10 is sold in the territory of 50" C550, C550 wins hands down.

If v10 is better than G10 and If V20 is better than V10, I can only imagine such a TV. :rolleyes:
Soon I should get a demo.

I got a demo of Panny 42V20. I must say I was impressed.
Its got amazing AR build into the panel. V20 was sitting next to A20, and the reduction in reflection was >50%, which is amazing. And I am not even going into the colour reproduction or the blacks.
I seem to be now tilting towards the 42V20.

I've heard a lot of buzz around LG 50PK550R. Is it 720p or 1080p? Since my viewing distance is 6~8 feet, I guess it would make a difference at 50" size.
Also, how's the reflection issue on the LG? Is it irritating?

Hi.
I am thoroughly confused between Panny V20 & LG LH90. I am an average user, watching daily SD (including majorly sports content), weekly movies, and approx half an hour a day of HD content. Also, my TV is going to be place about 5 feet from a 7'x6' french window which would be to the right of the TV.
Considering these facts, I cannot decide between the above too models.
I would love the get the Panny, but am worried about reflection and floating blacks. I can't find anything wrong right now with the LG LH90, but I think it won't match the PQ of the plasma.
What would the owners of these two models suggest?

French window to the right might not affect the TV as much as if it were right opposite as in my house. In any case you will need to curtain it if plasma TV is in your cards.

V20 is an High(est) end plasma TV from panasonic and LH90 is a mid range local dimming LCD from LG. I have demoed Panasonic G10 plasma and LH90 LCD and since V20 is apparently ahead of G10 in brightness and overall performance, will be a clear winner by quite a margin. Doubtless.

LH90 does have motion issues and colour accuracy problems but much less than other LCDs around. particularly LGs. Samsung 6 series handle colour accuracy better but has motion issues nevertheless (compared to panasonic plasmas)

In your house in particular, V20 will not be entising when the french window remains uncurtained. LH90 will outshine the V20. If you plan for curtains, the V20 will win hands down. The tube lights and other lights within the house will not affect much.

Please also demo the samsung 6 series LCDs B650/C650 before you conclude. These will have better colour accuracy and overall SD processing capability than the LH90 in question. But this too will fall short to V20.

In short, If V20 > V10 > G10 as the reviews state, V20 should be one of the best TVs around. The international reviews you find of LH90 are of a better equiped TV. Indian varient lack few core features (like it has much lesser number of local dimming LEDs).

Select depending on your priority.

I got a demo of Panny 42V20. I must say I was impressed.
Its got amazing AR build into the panel. V20 was sitting next to A20, and the reduction in reflection was >50%, which is amazing. And I am not even going into the colour reproduction or the blacks.
I seem to be now tilting towards the 42V20.

Not surprised. :)

I've heard a lot of buzz around LG 50PK550R. Is it 720p or 1080p? Since my viewing distance is 6~8 feet, I guess it would make a difference at 50" size.
Also, how's the reflection issue on the LG? Is it irritating?

It is 1080p.
6-8 feet, 50" TV will be a overkill for DTH. Movies and HD will be OK. 42" is good enough.

Reflection issue was highly irritating on 2009 LG models. Not sure of PK550 in particular. Owners can confirm.

Have a look at 50C550 1080p also. It sells for around the same price. It is much better than 2009 LGs. Again not sure of how it compared to PK550.

Looks like I should be able to lay my hand on a 42" V20 by shelling out 65.5k. Looking at other buyers, it appears a steal.
Bangalore seems to have run out of LH90s. None, except Devi International, is even willing to discuss LH90. Devi is also postponing for the last couple of days, saying they are awaiting stock. But all other dealers, including LG's own showroom say LH90 has been discontinued and is replaced by SL90 (inferior edge-lit model). I am a bit scared that Devi shouldn't hand me over a demo piece.

PQ60 is bad.
LH90 is better but still bad.
I have seen only G10 and these are incomparable to LG plasmas.
Samsung C550 could come as close as it gets to G10. Really.. The pros and cons only match.. But since the 42" G10 is sold in the territory of 50" C550, C550 wins hands down.

Going by specs, Sammy C550 and C450 are the same, except for the resolution. And C450 is considered an average performer. So, theoretically, G10 should easily surpass C550's picture quality. Why do you think G10 and C550 are in nearly the same league ?

LG LH90 is one of the very few affordable THX certified displays available in India. EDIT: Checked with LG India website and manual for LH90. THX is mentioned nowhere. Owners could confirm if it has THX mode or not. It will have the usual LCD viewing angle problem, but apart from that it should be quite good. What makes you say it's bad ?

Considering C450 and C550 are similar except for resolution, it makes sense to get C450 instead because, we all know resolution isn't really important for even 50" TVs. C550, I think is the least favorable choice.

Amazon.com: Samsung PN50C550 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Samsung PN42C450 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV (Black):

Samsung PS50C450 Review at AVForums.com

Last edited:
Some experts (like Blasto) are surely biased against LG, maybe because of their past experience with LG plasmas & LCDs. I say this because I had seen comments on LGs SL90 that it was surely inferior to Samsungs 6 series edge-LED model even before anyone had a look at the SL90. I see similar comments/hints on LG PK550 vs. Samsung C550. Most of us in this forum surely have some bias both for and against some brands and models most commonly for the model that we chose thinking that it was the best available model for our purpose and budget. But I find it very odd that someone like Blasto just passes expert judgments like LH90 is better than PQ60 but it is still bad.
It is bad? In comparison to what? I guess all Samsung LCDs in his opinion are better than all LG LCDs (including LH90) and same with plasmas and it will remain that way forever (in his mind). While all brands (including Panasonic, Samsung) cut down their features when they bring their models to India but the reviews found in CNET (or other) sites for their equivalent US/UK models are good reference to prove/advertise their goodness. But that doesnt apply to LG models Otherwise, how else you can explain these expert judgments on LH90 or C550/PK550?

Harty,
For your question though there is not much of debate/disagreement. V20 is surely better than LH90 (and any Samsung LCD/edge-LED models available in India). You should consider LH90 or Sony EX500 (which I think is better than LH90) or Samsung C650 LCDs - only if you think ambient light is not controllable in your entertainment/TV room. I can tell you (from my own experience in my neighbour's place) watching plasmas in brightly lit room will be a bad experience. But in darkened room a good plasma (G10/20, V10/20) is surely a pleasure to watch, especially when you watch movies.

Last edited:
But I find it very odd that someone like Blasto just passes expert judgments like LH90 is better than PQ60 but it is still bad.

Wow where did you find that.. If I said that Iam finding it odd too.. :)

This is a comparison thread between V20 and the rest. I am basing my comments on demo experience of the V10 (V20 I hear is better).

Between LH90 and V20, I still say LH90 is bad. Iam sure you would have picked up the 42 V20 is sold for the same price as LH90. I have demoed both (50V10 inplace of 42V20) and there is really no comparioson if they are sold at the same price. You are welcome to demo and verdict.

Back