eARC issue in LG G1

sylar

Hi All,

Facing weird issue with eARC in LG G1 oled. There is an option to enable eARC in newer LG models under the name as "eARC Support". Whenever I turn that setting on, I am only getting sound in Left and Right FS speakers and the dialogues are gone as if it should come from center channel. The amplifier is showing Stereo output and the TV says no signal received. But when I turn that setting off, it starts working but the Dolby Atmos becomes lossey. I am not able to figure out what is happening here.

My setup is - LG G1 Oled connected to Denon AVR 3400 via HDMI 2.1 cable with Ethernet (Bluerigger one).All devices including hdmi cable supports eARC.

I also tried playing ATMOS video via TVs native Netflix app and was expecting it to at least send lossey audio to AVR, but it is not happening. Tried Nvidia Shield and laptop also to play loseless Dolby True HD content via Blue-ray ripped files and same result.No ATMOS sound, not even surround sound.

Can't figure out who is the culprit here as ARC is working perfectly fine

Last edited:
You also selected Dolby digital as Audio Mode in AVR, right? Probably some eARC compatibility bug.

I am using it on Auto mode. Tried Direct and Pure Direct, but no result
I see. Do a reset of the AVR/Tv if it does the trick if you haven't already? C9/Cx had some eARC bugs, also check in other AV forums if anyone is aware of such issues with G1.

I see. Do a reset of the AVR/Tv if it does the trick if you haven't already? C9/Cx had some eARC bugs, also check in other AV forums if anyone is aware of such issues with G1.
tried resetting both tv and avr , still not working

As far as I know earc is a feature for Hdmi 2.1 and in order for it to work flawlessly everything in the your chain should be 2.1. Since Denon 3400 isn’t HDMI 2.1 I am guessing it is not working properly. Earc and some HDMI 2.1 features was pushed in HDMI 2.0 where the manufacturers labelled it as 2.0a or b but there is no way to know if the implementation was successful when one of the component in your chain isn’t HDMI 2.1

As far as I know earc is a feature for Hdmi 2.1 and in order for it to work flawlessly everything in the your chain should be 2.1. Since Denon 3400 isn’t HDMI 2.1 I am guessing it is not working properly. Earc and some HDMI 2.1 features was pushed in HDMI 2.0 where the manufacturers labelled it as 2.0a or b but there is no way to know if the implementation was successful when one of the component in your chain isn’t HDMI 2.1
I was relying on the update which denon gave for eARC and was expecting it to work flawlessly , but now I also think that the eARC is buggy for 3400 and it was just a gimmick

I hope someone can confirm if they are also facing the same issue

I was relying on the update which denon gave for eARC and was expecting it to work flawlessly , but now I also think that the eARC is buggy for 3400 and it was just a gimmick

I wouldn’t break my head to much over this. For lossless audio or even lossy in an AVR set up I will never depend upon arc or earc from tv. Use a HTPC or shield for the best experience with lossless audio. If no budget constraints a Bluray player.

I am also investigating this with my new LG G1 and Denon 3700. I turned on DTS in Plex and was hoping that the TV would use passthrough, but there was no audio.

With a Nvidia Shield 2019 everything is perfect.

I am using the 4K Bluerigger cables from Amazon. What are you using?

I tried the helicopter atmos file from here. I used a USB stick to play this file from the TV. When eArc was disabled the AVR showed ATMOS. When eArc was enabled, the AVR showed Dsurround. This is opposite to what you would normally expect.

I have LG CX. First only HDMI socket 2 is eARC compatible in LG CX.
Second choose sound output in OLED as HDMI eARC.
Third the eARC cable into AVR in input 1 which should be ARC compatible.
Fourth in AVR choose TV/CD as input.
It should work

I am also investigating this with my new LG G1 and Denon 3700. I turned on DTS in Plex and was hoping that the TV would use passthrough, but there was no audio.

With a Nvidia Shield 2019 everything is perfect.

I am using the 4K Bluerigger cables from Amazon. What are you using?
I have the exact same setup including bluerigger HDMI 2.1 cables minus 3700. I have Denon 3400.

But I have stopped investigating it and have made peace with it that is buggy. Have connected Nvidia with Denon and it is working flawlessly

I tried the helicopter atmos file from here. I used a USB stick to play this file from the TV. When eArc was disabled the AVR showed ATMOS. When eArc was enabled, the AVR showed Dsurround. This is opposite to what you would normally expect.
LG G1 doesn't support losless audio . It might be converting something.

My guess is , with your setup, eARC should work flawlessly.

I just got a G1 today, using with a Denon 4400. I see the same thing. If you enable eARC Support then it won’t output Atmos to the Denon.

We’d have to get the current equivalent AVR to see if it works ok on those. In the case that it does then it may be the eARC support added to our AVR’s is poor, dated or something. I can’t see Denon showing any interest if it’s their fault.

eARC is available on HDMI 2.0 as well. The Marantz SR6013 supports eARC and of HDMI 2.0.

I faced somewhat of a similar issue with my G1 where initially, it was only sending 2 channel sound to the AVR from my PlayStation 5. I thought it was a cable issue so i ordered a certified HDMI 2.1. while that didn't solve the issue, it made the audio sound worse in two channel mode (which was strange since HDMI is HDMI right? Plus, it was an expensive cable.) Threw that into the bin and reverted to my el cheapo amazonbasics hdmi 2.0 cable and thereafter, enabling eARC and Digital Sound Output as Pass Through in the sound menu finally solved the issue for me.

Now, the chain is PlayStation 5>>HDMI 2.1 cable>>LG G1>>HDMI 2.0 cable>>Marantz SR6013.

I just got a G1 today, using with a Denon 4400. I see the same thing. If you enable eARC Support then it won’t output Atmos to the Denon.

We’d have to get the current equivalent AVR to see if it works ok on those. In the case that it does then it may be the eARC support added to our AVR’s is poor, dated or something. I can’t see Denon showing any interest if it’s their fault.
Let me know if you figure out any solution.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back