Panasonic VIERA TH-P42X30D - is it best in its class

mipurush

Panasonic VIERA TH-P42X30D - is this a good tv i m getting it for 30 k on ebay- not sure how much would it cost in dubai.

also i have a concern with the power consumption of 200 w .
is this normal or way too high.?or should i consider a LCD to save on power bill.
with this power consumption whats thr impact on the power bill - 100 bucks a month ???

Panasonic VIERA TH-P42X30D - is this a good tv i m getting it for 30 k on ebay- not sure how much would it cost in dubai.

is this normal or way too high.?or should i consider a LCD to save on power bill.
with this power consumption whats thr impact on the power bill - 100 bucks a month ???
The power consumption theory and worry is a lot of overhype and overstatement. There is some truth but not the absolute truth that is supported by facts and stats. Now I am leaving Dubai out of the equation and considering prices in India only.

Fact 1: The Panasonic 42X30D is now out of the line. What we get now is the 42X50D which is much better than the 30 model (2011).
Fact 2: The Panasonic 42" X series plasma (at Rs. 38K or so) will cost much less than a 42" LCD or LED. Samsung does not have a 42" LCD in its line. The cheapest 42" LCD is LG 42LK450 at 50K MRP and may be had at 42K. Sony's KLV-40BX420 is 52K MRP and will be available at 47K. The cheapest LED in the same size will be at least 10K more.
Fact 3: Even though the Panasonic 'X' model is entry level and HD-Ready only (720p), its performance will be far better than a full-HD 42" LCD. Only an LED will local dimming will be comparable the performance of plasma. Such LED's are even more expensive.
Fact 4: The rated power usage of plasma is when used with full white mode. Under normal usage, the actual usage will be more like 60-70% of the peak usage. In case of LCD/LED, the actual power usage is same as peak usage.

Now let us assume the following:

a) Panasonic P42X50D Plasma (200W peak) power usage at 70% = 140W vs. LG 42LK450 (120W peak) = 120W.
b) Average daily usage time of TV = 8 hours (which is very high in my opinion but considering the worst)
c) Rate of 1 power unit (1 kWH) = Rs. 5.
d) Service Tax at 12.36%

Plasma consumption = 140W x 8 hours x 30 days = 33600 W = 33.6 kWH x Rs. 5 = Rs. 168 x 1.1236 (serv.tax) = Rs. 188.76
LCD consumption = 120W x 8 hours x 30 days = 28800 W = 28.8 kWH x Rs. 5 = Rs. 144 x 1.1236 (serv. tax) = Rs. 161.80

So net extra expense on power via plasma is only Rs. 17 per month. Now consider the extra cost of the LCD or LED TV and you will find that LCD has not really saved you any money.

However ...

If you live in a place where there are frequent power outages and you have an inverter/UPS supply at home, the UPS may not be able sustain the consumption of plasma. When the plasma is switched on, it draws a significant amount of current. The UPS will trip in this case.

42X50..............best entry level in its class!!! If I were you I would not pay so much attention on power usage and focus more on picture quality, which is what tv's should be bought for. Would I be willing to compromise on picture quality in order to save a bit on electricity..........I guess not!!!

Heard the stories of panasonic After Sales Service.
Its horrible now, so be aware if that before purchasing.

120W for LED tv....
My LED TV's Power requirement measured using APC UPS(which has a USB output using which you can see the power requirement on pc application Power Chute)
My Tv backlight setting is 3 which is more than enough for watching tv in well lit room-

While playing mp4 and mkv (changed the container to m2ts but video codec is avc and audio is ac3)-varying 27-46W(mainly changing brightness level)
While Playing bluray from BD player- around 60W.
If you increase the backlight power requirement gonna increase but choose backlight wisely.

1) 42x30d is a great buy. I'm still searching for one for my new home. Already owns 2 - one for myself, and one in my family. 42x50d is costlier with lesser features.

2) HD ready plasma offers almost the same power consumption as that of the LCDs. But, if you go for a Full HD model, the power consumption will be in the range of 300 watts and is significantly higher than an LCD/LED

I would prefer a 42" HD ready plasma over a full HD 42" LCD/LED any day for its better picture quality.

Fact 1: The Panasonic 42X30D is now out of the line. What we get now is the 42X50D which is much better than the 30 model (2011).

The difference I could see with 42x50d is that it looses out on 1 HDMI port and also looses out the optical output. I couldn't notice any advantage with the X50D when compared with X30D or am I missing something ?

1)The difference I could see with 42x50d is that it looses out on 1 HDMI port and also looses out the optical output. I couldn't notice any advantage with the X50D when compared with X30D or am I missing something ?
I was also thinking in the same line.Is there any improvement PQ etc in 42X50 when compared to previous model 42X30.Anyone compared both?

The X50/XT50 is supposed to have better panel brightness and improved contrast ratio. On this technical specs basis, I am saying that X50 is better than X30.

Removal of 1 HDMI port or Optical Out should not be a great concern. People hardly use more than 2 HDMI ports - unless one has a slew of devices such as STB, BDP, Game Console, HTPC, etc. Even then, one can buy an HDMI switcher for as low as Rs. 600 from eBay or other e-tailers.

I would gladly sacrifice an HDMI port if I get better picture in the bargain.

:mad:I must be member of this forum before buying sony lcd at 50k....
never knew anything about plasma or lcd...led was very ugly looking on moveis so went for lcds......saving money for a plasma..:lol:

I auditioned side by side many times and forced and won for plasmas:yahoo: when buying for friends and relatives

for movie nothing comes to plasma...yes the latest leds has high black levels..ok
but plasma has completly different color palate for moveis...like we see in theter halls...
thubs up for plasma...:clapping:

:mad:I must be member of this forum before buying sony lcd at 50k....
never knew anything about plasma or lcd...led was very ugly looking on moveis so went for lcds......saving money for a plasma..:lol:

I auditioned side by side many times and forced and won for plasmas:yahoo: when buying for friends and relatives

for movie nothing comes to plasma...yes the latest leds has high black levels..ok
but plasma has completly different color palate for moveis...like we see in theter halls...
thubs up for plasma...:clapping:

100% agreed...

Back