Parametric Equalizer - RCA to XLR conversion

sonosphere

Hi everybody,
I have seen a moderate improvement in the overall blend of frequencies when I used a graphic equaliizer (though at a cost of moderate reduction in peaks that add sparkle to music).

To reduce the sound of boominess and harsh treble end reflections in my room, I am on lookout for a Parametric equalizer. I found this on net >>

Behringer DSP1124P Digital 24-Bit Feedback Suppressor/Parametric Equalizer < Electronics : Electronics - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

My Query:
1. The above referred unit only accepts XLR or 1/4" pin level signal as input (I believe the signal level accpeted in the input of this type of Professional gear is different from the consumer RCA line-out level). Is there any way to convert RCA line-out signal to XLR or 1/4" pin level signal, without undue signal-degradation?

2. Has anyone use this /similar unit for home use? How was the SQ after using this?

Thanks in advance,
Sonosphere

Last edited:
I am using a dbx 231 Graphic Equaliser with my Amp and connected with a 1/4" to RCA connector and it works fine......:cool:)

I am using a dbx 231 Graphic Equaliser with my Amp and connected with a 1/4" to RCA connector and it works fine......:cool:)

Hi Deba,
I have lot of queries for you... request a little patience:)

1. How is the SQ of your EQ unit?
2. Does it dampen peaks of original music, or adds noise noticeably?
3. How much did you buy it for and where?
4. Does the 1/4" input result in very low sound coming from EQ output, that you need to compensate by turning your amp vol. very high?
5. What was your intent for buying EQ... adjusting sound to room-acoustics or to get better freq... or something else?

Thanks in advance,
Regds,

Hi Sonosphere,

If your taste of sound is devoid of too much sparkle, then your choice of amp is incorrect. Norge amps are good, but they have a characteristic of adding a bit more sparkle to the sound. I am not sure of the Wharfedales, but seems that they are bright sounding speakers. I suppose you have solved the problem of sparkle with the G-EQ.
For the boominess - Instead of using a P-EQ, I would suggest that you use thick curtains and a carpet in your room. This will reduce the boominess to some extent. Also, keep the speakers away from the walls, especially corners.
If you are hell bent on using the P-EQ, then you can use a simple RCA to RCA cable with RCA to 1/4 " TS phone jack adaptors on one side. The Behringer can accept unbalanced inputs and hence this will work fine.

Pramod

Hi everybody,
Has anyone use this /similar unit for home use? How was the SQ after using this?
Sonosphere

I use the Behringer DSP1124P along with REW to equalize my sub. From a subwoofer pov there is no degradation of the SQ. I use the BFD to tame the peaks and not to raise any dips. you can go to REW Forum for more information. I use a TRS to RCA connector. you need to change the operating level to -10dBV for home use.

The sound quality is perfect.
============
2. Does it dampen peaks of original music, or adds noise noticeably?

No not at all, atleast I cant hear.
============

I made the 1/4" to RCA wire myself.....you can buy also.
============
4. Does the 1/4" input result in very low sound coming from EQ output, that you need to compensate by turning your amp vol. very high?

No I do not turn the amp more to get high output......your eq will rather boost the signal to some extent.
============
5. What was your intent for buying EQ... adjusting sound to room-acoustics or to get better freq... or something else?

Right. To adjust the sound to room acoustics and shape the frequency to suit my taste and listening habits which varies person to person.....
============

============

I made the 1/4" to RCA wire myself.....you can buy also.
============
============

Hi Deba,
I forgot to specify the item in my query... corrected query >>
3. How much did you buy this "dbx 231 Graphic Equaliser" for and where?

Thanks for the earlier detailed reply.
Regds,

As far as I remember I paid about Rs 14000/- for it and purchased it from a dealer in Lenin sarani (Kolkata).

Get in touch with a Harman Dealer in your area and get the current price.

You can also look at DOD Equalisers the 31 band is available at Rs 9000/- approx

For normal sound shaping a 15 band eq will also do the job and its easier/faster to calibrate for beginners.......

Last edited:
As far as I remember I paid about Rs 14000/- for it and purchased it from a dealer in Lenin sarani (Kolkata).

Get in touch with a Harman Dealer in your area and get the current price.

You can also look at DOD Equalisers the 31 band is available at Rs 9000/- approx

For normal sound shaping a 15 band eq will also do the job and its easier/faster to calibrate for beginners.......

Hi Deba,
Any idea where I can get the aforemention DOD Eq in India? Preferably a place where I can audition them too.

Thanks in advance.
Regds,

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back