• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Passive AV Receiver and Non-Passive Music System

Castle Knight 2 Speakers

sahilamin

Hi,

I am new to this forum and hoping to get answers and solutions.

I have a Denon AV Receiver which supports only Passive subwoofer. I also have a Samsung 5.1 Music system whose subwoofer is non-passive. How can I hook non-passive subwoofer with Denon AV Receiver? What are my options here with existing infra?

Thanks in advance.

sahilamin

Hi Jags,

Thanks for the response.

Subwoofer is a very simple one. There is only one wire coming out of that and as it is non-passive it doesn't have anything (buttons/jacks/slots) else on it.

efernand1

Hi,

Please provide us the model numbers of the Samsung speakers and AVR....we can check and advice you in the best manner

alphacentury100

I think the denon receivers support only active subwoofers and has only LFE out. Just double check it again.

efernand1

Hi

I have gone through the Samsung owners manual to understand the kind of speakers....which are at 3 ohms load....very low for the Denon X500 which handles speakers of 6 and 8 ohms....

The speakers would cause heating issues and the AVR may go into protection mode all the time...

If budget is a constraint, would suggest you go in for pre owned 5.1 speakers....you will need at least 100w RMS speakers at 8 ohms load and a decent powered subwoofer.

sahilamin

Budget is a constraint. And most importantly i have to sell this first and then i can buy another one. :(

I was hoping to convert non-powered subwoofer to a powered one. I referred few DIY sites but couldn't get appropriate parts locally or online.

Stuck...!!

ItsMe

Its better not to marry your samsung with Denon. Go for matching speakers , and sell off your samsung