Peculiar problem with SL 1210

Gentlemen , I am faced with a very peculiar problem with my TECHNICS SL 1210. The right channel of the turntable has stopped playing on my ENBEE ZX1 pre amp. Though I do not find this problem when playing my Thorens 125. So today I just tried looking into the problem. Strangely when I connected it to the CD IN, both the channels were working. I have a spare ZX1 and I connected the turntable to that and it played without any problems. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me? I can't put my spare pre amp into the rig just yet as I feel it's gain needs to be readjusted. it plays too loud even with the volume at 8 O clock. plus there is a slight imbalance in the left right channels.

I am also posting pictures of the insides of the preamp. it would be of great help if someone could guide me with the gain control and balance. Thanks.
Varun

Attachments

• IMG-20180708-WA0040.jpg
    IMG-20180708-WA0040.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20180708-WA0042.jpg
    IMG-20180708-WA0042.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 23
My guess is that your rca input connectors could use some cleaning. They might be making contact with one set of plugs, but not the other
Swapping the leads from the turntable should help you isolate the issue

I'll surely try doing that. But is it not strange that it works with one preamp but not with other? Plus it works on the CD in of the preamp of which it does not accept the phono in?

Check small headshell wires connected to the cartridge. This naughty :) things (Small wires I mean) being hidden usually go unnoticed. The connection should be tight fit which the lugs that headshell wires have after repeated use becomes loose. Be carefull of stylus. remove it while tinkering with cartridge-headshell-wires. Personal experience is this is just like mini wrestling match between fingers and wires. :p
Regards.

I changed the head shell and the problem persists. I somehow can't upload sound clip otherwise I would have put a sample up. when the volume is turned up, with the turntable connected but not in use, the left speaker makes a sound like an old transistor radio used to make when it lost signal. though I am told that if there is a problem in the RCA cable, it is usually at the preamp end as that part gets pulled out more often. if it is the other side, I am all at sea.

Check RCA wires with Multimeter. Your Technics turntable is playing on Preamp No. 2 perfectly and your Thorens turntable is working on your Preamp No. 1 perfectly is little starnge and confusing problem.
Regards.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back