Perfectly twisted interconnect

keith_correa

Inspired by a post that I read on audioasylum [appropriate name], I drew up this q&d drawing of an interconnect layout which will/may work well.

So:

Take a strip of stiff plastic - the ones that we use to laminate paper should work well. This is shown as dotted in the pic.

Punch evenly spaced holes along the sides of the plastic strip

Thread in 24 AWG [or thinner] solid core wire as shown. Think individual CAT5 strands - insulated or non insulated. We get wires crossing at 90 deg. which I read somewhere is ideal.

Stick a strip of wide [the width of the plastic strip] tape on the complete face of the strip to hold the conductors in place. Or, use your imagination.

Terminate with RCA plugs.

I will try this out when I get the time. In the meanwhile if anyone else tries this, please post your findings.

Attachments

• PerfectTwist.jpg
    PerfectTwist.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Thread in 24 AWG [or thinner] solid core wire as shown. Think individual CAT5 strands - insulated or non insulated. We get wires crossing at 90 deg. which I read somewhere is ideal.
I wonder why?

It is true that cat-whatever networking cable has specific pitches to the twist which helps to prevent interference and cross talk, but networking is a very particular form of transmission and ... isn't an interconnect one channel only anyway?

If you want a perfectly even twist to a cable or wire pair:

fasten one set of ends to something static (or hold in a vice). Make a loop by fixing the other ends together. Put a hook in a hand-drill, or electric drill on slowest speed, stand so the wires are under just a little tension --- and twist away, gently but constantly (twist again like we did last summer) :). It will come perfectly, just like from the factory.

The pitch can probably be calculated by the number turns per inch. Dunno. I did this stuff, with silver wire, for decorative jewellery work, not for electrics or audio!

It is true that cat-whatever networking cable has specific pitches to the twist which helps to prevent interference and cross talk
Yes, it is true. Minimizes crosstalk between neighbouring pairs.

but networking is a very particular form of transmission and ... isn't an interconnect one channel only anyway?
Correct.

If you want a perfectly even twist to a cable or wire pair:

fasten one set of ends to something static (or hold in a vice). Make a loop by fixing the other ends together. Put a hook in a hand-drill, or electric drill on slowest speed, stand so the wires are under just a little tension --- and twist away, gently but constantly (twist again like we did last summer) :). It will come perfectly, just like from the factory.

The pitch can probably be calculated by the number turns per inch. Dunno. I did this stuff, with silver wire, for decorative jewellery work, not for electrics or audio!
Once, I used my Mom's handheld cake batter mixer for this. Worked perfectly. Didn't taste as good as cake though. :D

Brilliant :lol:

I used to have drawplates for my jewellery work too. Just think... I could offer "hand-drawn silver interconnects!" Actually, I can think why they should not be hand-drawn, because any slight pause introduces a "bump," But I wouldn't be admitting that in the marketing literature ;)

Brilliant :lol:

I used to have drawplates for my jewellery work too. Just think... I could offer "hand-drawn silver interconnects!" Actually, I can think why they should not be hand-drawn, because any slight pause introduces a "bump," But I wouldn't be admitting that in the marketing literature ;)
You can always tout the "bumps" as a feature. They bump up the bass!!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back