[Personal Experience] Panasonic TH-L50DT60D & SONY BDP-S4100

netant

Hello Everybody, im here with my mini review of Panasonic DT60D, review wouldn't be the correct word, rather my personal experience. Im including my experience of my SONY S4100 also in this.
We have lots of good review/ tech specs floating all over the internet of both so i will not mention anything on that line. If anyone has any further question please ask in this thread, i will be happy to answer everybody's personal queries as per my experience.

SONY BDP S4100
official product page:- BDP-S4100 : Blu-ray Disc Players : Home Video : Sony India

I initially wanted to go for the next version 5100 but that was not avilible for India region, hence i went for this which will be covered by Indian warranty, has everything except the built-in wireless adapter of s5100.

ordered over Amazon.in and got it delivered blazing fast. Packing was nice.
sLO9G7B.jpg

Unpacking
Xs1lDLP.jpg

The artistic looks, which attracted me to go for SONY BDP else was planned to got for Panasonic BDP.
so2hSTu.jpg

Normal look:
9ZCmXXJ.jpg

The truth behind the artistic looks, the outer shell is a dirt, fingerprint & scratch magnet which is a disappointment for me. the outer shell got scratched by the camera strap (hard rubber) while taking initial picture. see the image below many scratches appeared within 24hour, i have used only microfiber cloth to wipe the shell.
Overall outer-build quality seems to be very delicate and fragile, should be handled carefully.
I3OnNkO.jpg

now comes the features part, this has everything which was expected and much more then that.
UYIuSZg.jpg

Connect wired-mode for updating firmware, which will add many online features and applications. Network setting is damn easy and it connected to internet in less then 60 second.
I personaly didn't like those extra apps hence i did a factory reset after the online update to revert back to previous state (i love the minimalistic non-bloated interface).
FOeoKeQ.jpg

Myth busters
Many reputed website has mentioned few thing were not avilible in this BDP, which i found is not applicable to this version of BDP i have, which in reality is imported from Germany.
  1. Myth: Can't play VCD I have tested with many of my old VCD and all seems to play without any hiccups. i have stop testing after 10-vcd.
  2. Myth: Won't stream MKV I have tested with a sample of over 25 variety of MKV various video encoder and bit rate ranges form 500 Kbps to 20,000 Kbps. DTS, AC3, AAC, etc all audio encodes, all worked great over my DLNA server on bridged wireless G-network.
  3. Myth: Won't play FLAC yet another false claim, FLAC played via USB as well as streamed. from 16-bit, 24bit, multichannel flac it played everything whatever given to it.
  4. Myth: Won't play divX - its played divX movies i have encoded from dying VCD.

Features worth mentioning
  • Picture Quality is amazing with brilliant sharpness. Although enabling deep-color in the setting gives me over saturated colors but many people like this vivid color.
  • Upscaling feature is way above my expectation. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from the The Criterion Collection DVD delivered stunning picture. better then most of tatasky 1080i HD channel. this applies to over 10 dvds i have tested on this till date. (except the kill-bill volume 1 & 2 DVDs from eros international which looked pathetic and stretched)
  • Not locked to a particular DVD region and can play DVD of all region. I'm not sure about BD region lock and the Blu-ray movies i have tested are region free.
  • Remote controls few button are just dummy, e.g, volume up and down. The good thing, the moment i switch on the player it automatically tun-on my tv and/or switched to bdp input mode. Same with the TV, if i select the input of BDP it automatically turn on the bdp form standby mode.
  • Audio CD played over it delivered brilliant sound ( bdp ===co-axial==> **TubeMagic D1 DAC plus ======> beyerdynamic Dt770 pro )

Overall i'm pretty much satisfied with the player :eek:hyeah:.

** Maverick Audio is not recommended at all, its a shitty piece of crap i have wasted my money with pathetic non-responding support of Ryan. I have serious problem right out of the box in this shittiest Chinese shitty DAC and discarded from regular use i have hooked it it just to check the audio out of bdp from co-ax.

Please see post#2 for views on TV DT60 ( this post went longer then expected)

Last edited:
Panasonic TH-L50DT60D

the much awaited TV
LcYU7GW.jpg

Menu
cWnA011.jpg

built-in Wireless LAN
o5gnxvV.jpg

speakers
BNSE2ci.jpg

inputs
GpRWhpR.jpg

indicators
pwhMJt0.jpg

Stand, will mount on wall later till then its sitting on the table
xCTs6WI.jpg

the movie
5jj65tr.jpg

Checking usage hours, right after installation by the pana executive. , seems legit.
Elxb6HD.jpg

Steps: i followed to check the usage hours, (based on this helpful thread by jaivelu )
  1. tv not in standby, regardless any mode.
  2. press and hold volume down button and press info button on remote 3 times.
  3. press 2 on remote
  4. press OK on remote
  5. navigate using the remote to the cell next to "PTCT :00.00.00.00.00", the cell where the time suppose to display.
  6. press MUTE repeatedly for few time.
  7. i got the screen as shown above.

The smart remote aka VIERA Touch Pad Controller.
3A1vfO5.jpg

i have got 4 3d glasses with the TV, nothing fancy, so not posting any personal pics, if anyone want to see i will do that :)
here is pic form internet
sc005.jpg

My picture settings, ( please check it yourself and don't blindly copy,as these are my choice and style of viewing based on the amount of light i have in my viewing room.) Also, Make sure to reset the TV setting to factory default after the executive is done the installation and left your home. Slect all logical answer to the question asked, Don't skip any screen.
Picture Mode : Custom
Backlight : 40
Contrast : 40
Brightness : +10
color: 45
Tint: 0
sharpness : 18
Color Temp : Normal
Vivid Color: Off
Adaptive Backlight : Minimum
Ambient sensor : On

* These setting for TV viewing ( HDMI - 1) only, and i have different custom setting for all my inputs.
* Setting which are not mentioned above are are on factory default value.
* viewing distance #1 10 feet & viewing distance #2 17 feet.

Features worth mentioning

Picture Quality
  • Picture Quality is just "WOW" - no further words to describe. it seems like everything is happening in front of me, and not in the TV.
  • Brilliant picture clarity, mesmerizing texture details. While viewing movie Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, for the first time in my life i can read the brand of the basket ball, the full print on the ball was Cristal clear, the tagline, size, the style of stitching, and what not. my eyes cant see any further clarity beyond this.
  • TataSky HD Suks and STAR Sports HD suks donkeys ass The telecast of BPL looking pathetic, i have seen 8th December Arsenal vs Everton on star HD and later downloaded 720p vs of it telecasted by FoxSports Australia. the difference is day and night. lesson: don't ever compare TV based on f*ckin tataSky PQ.
  • Viewing Angle is great, observed from 180* didn't find anything difference.
SD Video Update 15/12/2013 4pm , based on sm_vlr's question.
the quality of picture greatly varies across all channel of TS and sometime as per programmed aired, but few SD channels namely WB movies, Zee Business, CNBC TV18, Al Jazeera English, Bloomberg, History TV18, Z Bangla Cinema etc stand out from the league. the pq is as close as many HD channel, hence the up-scaling feature of the TV seems to be working beautiful. Many HD channel suks, like SONY HD, Star HD1, star HD2 whose pq is inferior to pq of the sd channel mentioned above.
Comparing Start HD 1 & SD 1 is 90% identical image quality, sometime i got confused im watching SD or HD.

Comparing color SD & HD, gives difference of day and night, where as comparing Zee SD & HD Pq is identical ( Zee HD has great Image quality)

Hence comparing SD & HD doesn't seems to be logical on DTH.
Playing 720P & 1080P movie over usb makes no difference from 12-feet, both look brilliant, beached facial hair & make-up done to hide pimples, various number of blusher shades and how many different shaded used in make-up , are more prominently visible in 1080p though. :eek:hyeah:

For HD, when you see Maximus Prime's blue paint is chipping off in the edges what else you want to see more :D
Offtopic: I don't know how many of you are aware that Dreamworks use a different display to monitor the color in their movies, these are knows as dreamview monitors and not avilible to general public. Those are literally the best piece of monitor ever produces by mankind and are the expensive display on this planet each 27" costing ~4L in INR, based on my personal experience DT60's Color & clarity reproduction are on the same line on a 50" LED canvas (have worked on almost all ultra-high-end non-consumer display ever produced in this planet HP, NEC, Dell, etc). My comparison for color & texture is based on those display and not any other brands TV.

Smart Features
  • TV connect to my Wifi within 20 second of start.
  • Connects to my twonky Dlna server PC and played almost anything over the air, mkv, flac and what not. note: video with DTS audio will not be played properly, sometime choppy or unknown file error.
  • Watching YouTube is pure pleasure. the sony BDP suks big if compared to the DT60. Playing youtube score Sony s4100 = 2/10, DT60 = 10/10.
  • Different customized home screen is good stuffs but its useless for me.
  • Voice control if good via smart remote, but again useless for me. Its like carrying out a simple task in complex way just for show off... lol.
  • Back light in main remote is very helpful and eye soothing at night.
  • lots of app in viera store for almost everything.

3D video stuffs
  • Mind Blowing 3D experience. Demo clip played by the executives literally gives me the feel that the dinosaur is going to hit me in my face with his tail i backed my head back :D
    This IS the best 3D experience i ever had in my last 1 year of demoing-3d tv across all major or minor brand. The another one i would want to quote which gave me similar 3D viewing experience was some 60-inch prototype tv model by Videocon.
  • Polarized 3D glasses are minimalistic light-weight and very comfortable pairs, anyone can wear them for for 8 hours stretched. i have used them ~5 hours stretched without no strain on eye or whatever.
  • 2D converted into 3D doesn't provide enjoyable result, the depth can be felt but it doesn't feel like it happening right in front of you. few LG/Sammy models are good in this aspect.

Final Verdict:
My wife was always against the brand "panasonic" ( her perception was, its cheap brand something in micromax line :p ) and was more inclined towards SONY or at-least Samsung Series 8.
I have also been threatened if she didn't liked the TV it will be disposed out of the balcony straight away.
But the TV is still in my house and she liked it more then any of her previously selected models with more bells & whistles.
It was amazing to see her joy and reactions watching her fav movie Life of Pi - 3D.
Every Inch of the display worth the money i paid for. !!

I like to thanks Everybody over here (Special mentions: Dirac, Chaos, Dushie, monk, sm_vlr, anubisX) who helped me deciding this TV, sometimes replying my PM's at weird times like 4am :clapping: you guys are amazing !!

-------------------- X------------------------X----------------------
The TV setup displayed on the images are temporary and will be mounted on wall later.
-------------------- X------------------------X----------------------

Last edited:
Congratulations ... waiting for my S5100 to arrive, excited to start using the same. Enjoy your setup.

Panasonic TH-L50DT60D
note:- few images only, will write the text later tonight,

Excellent.
Pls post more snaps on PQ...if possible, HD and SD as well.

Hi,

Please do share your Picture settings on Normal, true cinema..

Nowadays, Whenever i visit my friends place, and if like the picture quality on their LED TV, noting down their picture settings and trying it on my WT LED :)

My Pana 55WT50 PQ can be seen here
http://www.hifivision.com/television/44918-panasonic-55et5d-55wt50-4.html

Planning for TV Calibration using professionals, if that can be done within my budget.

Last edited:
Excellent.
Pls post more snaps on PQ...if possible, HD and SD as well.

Hi,

Please do share your Picture settings on Normal, true cinema..

Nowadays, Whenever i visit my friends place, and if like the picture quality on their LED TV, noting down their picture settings and trying it on my WT LED :)

My Pana 55WT50 PQ can be seen here
http://www.hifivision.com/television/44918-panasonic-55et5d-55wt50-4.html

Planning for TV Calibration using professionals, if that can be done within my budget.

sure, will try to put put more snaps later on. but i don't think the PQ can be captured on pictures by the camera.
my thoughts in SD will be updated on #2 post in few minute.

how do you like the 3D on your TV ?

just great ! :yahoo:

will you believe in me when i post pic of me bleeding by dinosaur hit in the demo clip :D .. lol

ok, on serious note, do you want me to test 3D in any particular manner, please let me know if so wil try to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the best comprehensive review and hands on I have read in recent times.:thumbup:
The first 5 star rated panasonic led. DT 60.
Kudos to you and your new champ.
Panasonic has proven it's prowess not only in plasmas but also leds.
Panasonic rocks....

This is one of the best comprehensive review and hands on I have read in recent times.:thumbup:
The first 5 star rated panasonic led. DT 60.
Kudos to you and your new champ.
Panasonic has proven it's prowess not only in plasmas but also leds.
Panasonic rocks....

thanks for you valuable suggestion & nice words mate.

i'm just missing the AVR now, ( denon X2000 & some FS + center ) which is planned to buy in September due to budget constraint.
Sometime i'm thinking to get an >30K HTIB denon/yamaha, but i'm confused about their performance in 22" x 18" room which is more of open type.
Also investing in HTIB will further push my X2000 til 2015 :sad:

planing to buy some lottery :D lol

thanks for you valuable suggestion & nice words mate.

i'm just missing the AVR now, ( denon X2000 & some FS + center ) which is planned to buy in September due to budget constraint.
Sometime i'm thinking to get an >30K HTIB denon/yamaha, but i'm confused about their performance in 22" x 18" room which is more of open type.
Also investing in HTIB will further push my X2000 til 2015 :sad:

planing to buy some lottery :D lol

I think buying demon can be delegated to a later point of time.
If possible I would suggest you to get the cheaper htib for 20K, Yamaha 196.
It is agile and the center channel is very clear. The speciality of this htib is that that bass integrates so smoothly into other channels. And the best part is that it has Burr Brown DACs.
It gives a new life to the settop box pictures.

@netant, how would you compare DT60 to plasma displays you've had or auditioned ? And you said that you've seen a lot of 3D while demoing. How do you compare passive 3D to active 3D ?

@sm_vlr, I'm from Kolkata. But I'm sure they'll say that they don't have DT60 in stock :'(

@netant, how would you compare DT60 to plasma displays you've had or auditioned ? And you said that you've seen a lot of 3D while demoing. How do you compare passive 3D to active 3D ?
Comparing this to plasma (only Panasonic & LG) i have checked.
plasma's color re-production was more natural, where as LED color are more saturated & color bleeded.
But after checking DT60 it changed my perception of LED, I get almost similar natural color in DT's True cinema mode after few tweaks in contrast & color, minus the screen refection of plasma.

there was a point in past, over a year back when i had almost determined to get a plasma, panny ST, but after demoing many plasma i have to dropped the plan of plasma as my room lighting condition is against plasma. Its super bright, 1 wall is only glass.

i'm not aware of technicality of passive 3D to active 3D, but few of the 3D glass were uncomfortable, One model gave my headache within 10min of demo, some glasses felt like a liability rather then pleasure, and few model 3d experience was not prominent at all.
if am able to recollect all the experience i would rate DT has the best 3d, followed by Videocon 60" model, then LG & then Samsung (2012 models with gesture/voice controls).

DT's 3D experience is more natural & not exaggerated, very similar to what i experience in real-world around me.

If possible I would suggest you to get the cheaper htib for 20K, Yamaha 196.

no mate :(
i'm confident it wont be able to satisfy my ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing this to plasma (only Panasonic & LG) i have checked.
plasma's color re-production was more natural, where as LED color are more saturated & color bleeded.
But after checking DT60 it changed my perception of LED, I get almost similar natural color in DT's True cinema mode after few tweaks in contrast & color, minus the screen refection of plasma.

there was a point in past, over a year back when i had almost determined to get a plasma, panny ST, but after demoing many plasma i have to dropped the plan of plasma as my room lighting condition is against plasma. Its super bright, 1 wall is only glass.

i'm not aware of technicality of passive 3D to active 3D, but few of the 3D glass were uncomfortable, One model gave my headache within 10min of demo, some glasses felt like a liability rather then pleasure, and few model 3d experience was not prominent at all.
if am able to recollect all the experience i would rate DT has the best 3d, followed by Videocon 60" model, then LG & then Samsung (2012 models with gesture/voice controls).

DT's 3D experience is more natural & not exaggerated, very similar to what i experience in real-world around me.

It's really bad going on here. They don't have ET60 / DT60 in stock and not sure if they'll get them ever. I didn't get ST60 and not getting DT60, they said they can get me 42ET5. If they provide ET5, I would rather stay with my XT50 with 3-years warranty and get it's mainboard changed.

It's really bad going on here. They don't have ET60 / DT60 in stock and not sure if they'll get them ever. I didn't get ST60 and not getting DT60, they said they can get me 42ET5. If they provide ET5, I would rather stay with my XT50 with 3-years warranty and get it's mainboard changed.

Wait, i will confirm you about next DT60 stocks in India by tonight. I just called to a pana guy, the price might went up a little.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back