Peter Reinders PTP Solid 12 Turntable with Thomas Schick Arm.

So I got the new phonostage just before Diwali. Been listening for about a week. It has the vishay naked z foils soldered in. Compared to the previous phono, the sound is more detailed, clearer, bass is tighter, more of a left to right soundstage. However the vishays seem to be too bright for me. Also the previous one seemed to have more musical heft, with the human dynamics and touches shining through and the musical intent of a song coming through clearly.. the pauses, ebbs and flow, accents on notes, pressure and force on strings or drums or vocals, the minuscule variations in playing that differ from one human player to another etc. With the old one swapped in, I found myself foot tapping more, head bobbing more, air guitaring more. And it felt like an artiste was pouring emotion out.

Will switch to the Kiwame resistors now and see what happens.

Which phono is this ?

So I got the new phonostage just before Diwali. Been listening for about a week. It has the vishay naked z foils soldered in. Compared to the previous phono, the sound is more detailed, clearer, bass is tighter, more of a left to right soundstage. However the vishays seem to be too bright for me. Also the previous one seemed to have more musical heft, with the human dynamics and touches shining through and the musical intent of a song coming through clearly.. the pauses, ebbs and flow, accents on notes, pressure and force on strings or drums or vocals, the minuscule variations in playing that differ from one human player to another etc. With the old one swapped in, I found myself foot tapping more, head bobbing more, air guitaring more. And it felt like an artiste was pouring emotion out.

Will switch to the Kiwame resistors now and see what happens.
Your impressions on Vishays match mine. While the Vishay's work fantastic in my DAC, I cant stand these in the phono. Switching back and forth between Vishays and Kiwames made it crystal clear for me that Kiwames work much better in this circuit. There is a musicality without fatigue, no hard edges. To experiment further, I have ordered Audio Note 2W Non-Magnetic Series resistors, which I should have it by late December with me. Can report the impressions if anyone is interested. Since 100ohm Kiwames were sounding smooth and buttery with my DL103R, and the 1K Vishays were too bright, I have decided to go for 150R AN resistors. Let's see what it brings to the table...

After listening with the Kiwame's have decided to go back to the older phonostage the 6S3P and ecc83 version that does not have a step up transformer. I don't think anyone else has this version cos Viren normally offers it with some other tube as second stage and I had requested him to put the ecc83 as second stage in mine. It just captures musical emotion and nuance so so well despite the newer one providing more detail and a more 3D soundstage. Will try the Vishays with the older one and see. A lot of what I heard was down to the phono and not to the Vishays I think.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back