Philips 29" CRT spoilt - not repairable; need replacement

John

Hi folks,

My Philips 29" CRT went kaput just before the 2010 World Cup matches started. It has been in the service centre for 2 months and finally the service centre people have given up on it and declared that the TV is not repairable :mad:.

The service centre people have informed me that as the TV is relatively new, less than 5 years, I could get another TV from Philips at 40% discount.

While I have not been enthusiastic about Philips, especially after my experience, I can still consider the option:

1) Is there any decent LCD TV in the Philips bandwagon? I am looking at 40 inches or so?

2) Or should I simply count my losses and go for a Pana 42" plasma? Which model?

3) Or should I wait and buy something else?

why don't you get another Philips 29" CRT at 40% discount :)

another option: There is forum favorite Philips LCD 32 inch 5609 :) ..
hope the discount is applicable here

for 42" and larger size you can consider a plasma.. there are many thread discussing the same..

why don't you get another Philips 29" CRT at 40% discount :)

another option: There is forum favorite Philips LCD 32 inch 5609 :) ..
hope the discount is applicable here

for 42" and larger size you can consider a plasma.. there are many thread discussing the same..

Not the same one! For God sake. Parts are not available for it, that is why I had to wait 2 months.

The discount would be applicable on all Philips models as I have been informed.

1) Is there any decent LCD TV in the Philips bandwagon? I am looking at 40 inches or so?

If 40% off discount available then the 42" 7 series LCD is a good bet.

2) Or should I simply count my losses and go for a Pana 42" plasma? Which model?

If you have the budget then nothing beats a Panasonic V20 plasma.

As I have a Philips series 9 LCD TV and am a great fan of Philips as it beats the Sony's and Samsung's of this world any day.

I have two suggestions:

1)40% discount is quite substantial, try and negotiate to see if you can get more if so then it is a good deal, and I assume the worse case scenario the new TV wont go Kaput atlest for the next 5 years.

2) Go ahead and purchase it at whatever discount they are offering, and if you dont like it sell it off. Buy a new TV of your choice/brand you will still save money in the process. Of course you need to find a buyer for your Philips TV.

Spiderman

Well philips service as time and again been questioned here.
there lcds are getting rarer in india and almost extinct in USA,they still haven't launched the 2010 india.
Videocon has taken over the marketing and sales and support of philips,which i hope doesn't end up with the crappy service they give for a similar business with electrolux ,kenstar.

If you do want to buy a philips i suggest you to wait for 2010 models which are know coming in 40" sizes with VA based panels so should have far great contrast then the 09 models like the philips 7 series which is at the bottom end in terms of contrast.

The 40% off discount is perhaps on the MRP and like samsung there is a huge difference in MRP and street price,so in reality the discount isn't much.

40% discount on philips 40" LCD is not going to make any difference..
the best philips 40" model in india is 42PFL7409 at MRP 99,990..
after discount it comes down to 60K..

at 60K price range you will find many other better performing 40" LCD/Plasma from Sony/Samsung/LG.. Please search the forum..

IMO..The best philips deal you can get is 32PFL5609 MRP 43K.. after applying 40% off on MRP, price comes down to 26K.. worth a look..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back