Philips 3571 HTIB Vs Onkyo HTIB

sonosphere

Hi,
Pardon me if my remarks sound unfair /without restraint etc. but I have to express my views which might end up benefiting some first time HTIB buyers here. (The Audio-review journalism has been bought out by MNC's, so web is the only place to express "unadultrated/Unbiased" personal views...)

I auditioned Philips HTIB 3571 costing 17.5k a few days back. In comparison to my Onkyo 5105 having Active Subwoofer these are my observations:

1. I found overall MUSIC SQ of Philips 3571 to be WAY AHEAD of above Onkyo across all freq spectrum
2. The passive subwoofer of Philips 3571 beat (no MASSACRED is more like it) my Active Subwoofer of Onkyo in music :mad:. Onkyo bass sounds like a poor excuse:annoyed: in comparison to bass punch, clarity, tightness of philips 3571.

Thats not all...

3. Even if I replace the fronts of Onkyo with Wharfe 9.2.... the Philips still beat the hell out of Onkyo+WD 9.2 combo (that too with philips having tiny 3inch dia plastic fronts!!)

Thats not all...

4. Even with Norge-1000 + WD 9.2 combo, the philips overall music SQ sounded BIGGER, primarily because of clean, big bass. Philips didn't sound deficient in treble either. Treble was as crisp, clean, undistorted as the Norge+WD combo (ok give or take +/- 3% variation... on the whole this philips sonded equally good)

Suggestion to new HTIB buyers who also want decent music (specially bass lovers) ...
a. Do not automotically assume the Foreign brands to be better...
b. You may not need all the extensive setup-features of Foreign AVR+HTIB combo...

...So don't go for Foreign HTIB's* before you check this Philips model
*BTW this philips is way ahead of SONY & LG HTIB's in similar 20k price range. And Onkyo is not the only culprit here, even Denon and Yamaha HTIB's in 35k range have been reviewed poorly in this forum compared philips HTIB of 20k range.

Parting query to Audio Gurus:
1. How does philips extract this performance at such a comparatively low price (17.5k) compared to Foreign HTIB having active subwoofers costing 35k upwards? :confused:

Hi Madbullram, VenkatCr, Cranky ... I know this subject may be too low-spec for your assessment ... but your comments would be helpful.

2. How do I make my Onkyo 5105 Active subwoofer sound tight /punchier in music? <<< This is a really earnest plea :sad:. Pleaaaassssseeee give me a solution here.

regds,

well Philips has all in one solution with onbrd player reducing digital path.Philips has tuned Htib for both,mov & music.Philips are known for music system & searched CD system too.

Onkyo are optimised for mov & not doing well for music.Current Onk amps are not the best(htib) than few years back.4 yrs back Onk AVR were doing well for music.(?503)

So let the experts say in details....

Definitely this philips HTIB is better than Onkyo 5105 in sonic levels. I had personnel experience and hence sold my Onkyo entry level HTIB and gone to higher level with wharf combo and here this philips has no chance to be compared. One may try and use 5.1 speaker package of philips HTS3571 with entry level HTIB "s that have passive subs , if AMPS and Speaker matches , for clear music but cannot avoid straining of their ears if exposed to these tiny satellites at high pitch for long time. This philips HTIB is also foriegn brand like others.

Regards

Last edited:
Definitely this philips HTIB is better than Onkyo 5105 in sonic levels. I had personnel experience and hence sold my Onkyo entry level HTIB and gone to higher level with wharf combo and here this philips has no chance to be compared. One may try and use 5.1 speaker package of philips HTS3571 with entry level HTIB "s that have passive subs , if AMPS and Speaker matches , for clear music but cannot avoid straining of their ears if exposed to these tiny satellites at high pitch for long time. This philips HTIB is also foriegn brand like others.

Regards

Hi Krishna,
Can you tell us what is this "higher level with wharf combo" that you have gone to?

Regds

Hi Krishna,
Can you tell us what is this "higher level with wharf combo" that you have gone to?

Regds

I Exchanged my earlier Onkyo HTIB HT-SR 600 with Onkyo TX-SR 576 7.1 channel receiver that was originally 27K. This in combination with wharf combo is performing excellently both on music and movies. I"am using Bookshelves 10.1 as fronts , 9 as surrounds , 9cc as centre , onkyo SKR 4700 as rears , onkyo SKW 204 sub. I could not avoid onkyo sub and rears as i was forced to by them during exchange. However the SUB is excellent and rears are O.K since we do not find many movies recorded beyond 5.1.
DVD player is SONY DVP NS 67P.

Regards

Dear all,

i checked Onkyo @ Garuda Mall, Bangalore and Philips 3571 @ Girias Store

I found Philips 3571 worth every single penny.. go i bought it

26th Jan Republic Day offer

Philips 3571 @ 14980/- (MRP 19990/-)

Offer = Holiday Package + Dart Board Contest

Hit the bullz eye and won gifts worth 10K :)

reached home this afternoon... will plug the HTIB tomorrow

Dear all,

CONGRATS AND HAPPY LISTENING . Why delay for a day ?

Regards

Dear all,

Dear Avi,
Congrats on the purchase!!!
Let us know how the 3571 sounds at your home compared to your audition at showroom. What is the room size where 3571 is installed?
Regds,

Dear Avi,
Congrats on the purchase!!!
Let us know how the 3571 sounds at your home compared to your audition at showroom. What is the room size where 3571 is installed?
Regds,

First off all thanks for creating this post....
it was just in time for me... i was all set to buy 3200/3105 but your post made me search and compare it with Philips 3571

Sound Quality is very very good... mine is a 16 X 14 feet

i will post few snaps of my setup soon

First off all thanks for creating this post....
it was just in time for me... i was all set to buy 3200/3105 but your post made me search and compare it with Philips 3571

Sound Quality is very very good... mine is a 16 X 14 feet

i will post few snaps of my setup soon

Any guidelines on what is the maximum room size, 3571 supports? My room size is 20x15 feet that attaches to Dining room. Can you please give your comments? I want to buy today/tomorrow.

Thank You

Sunder

hi guys
has anyone tried routing the signals of satellite stb(tata sky) thru philips hts3571. i am interested in upscaling the video signals for better PQ. is it possible to do so????

hi guys
has anyone tried routing the signals of satellite stb(tata sky) thru philips hts3571. i am interested in upscaling the video signals for better PQ. is it possible to do so????

Hi,
While others may pitch in with their responses, you can PM to Avijeet for same. I suggest you also check this feature in person at the shorwroom where you intend to purchase it.

Regds.

Any guidelines on what is the maximum room size, 3571 supports? My room size is 20x15 feet that attaches to Dining room. Can you please give your comments? I want to buy today/tomorrow.

Thank You

Sunder

Hi,
I have auditioned this in a Showroom-hall having having more than twice the width and 4 times the length, of your room. The sound at 10 feet distance was quite powerful (I dont remember the exact vol level, but definately below 75% of the max volume).

Your room size of 20x15 feet can be easily filled with sound by 3571. However any subwoofer needs to be placed appropriately near room-corners for best effect (search the web for "subwoofer placement" for more details)

Regds,

i am planning to pickup a 3571 but have doubt about the rms power claimed. tihis applies to all such packages from sony, samsung, lg, panasonic, onkyo etc but atleast philips was open about it and mentioned in the specificaiton. the power consumption of 3571 is shown as 200watts. how can a 200w system produce 1000w rms power. please clarify.

i am planning to pickup a 3571 but have doubt about the rms power claimed. tihis applies to all such packages from sony, samsung, lg, panasonic, onkyo etc but atleast philips was open about it and mentioned in the specificaiton. the power consumption of 3571 is shown as 200watts. how can a 200w system produce 1000w rms power. please clarify.

Hi,

If you believe me,Forget those numbers. listen to sound. My room is 14x 11 and my 25W RMS speakers (philips full range)more than fill up the room.

Hi sonosphere.
Does this HTIB have stereo mode for music? or you have to play it in 2.1 mode only?

Vikram

Hi sonosphere.
Does this HTIB have stereo mode for music? or you have to play it in 2.1 mode only?

Vikram

Hi Jaudere,
Unfortunately I didn't check this point while auditioning. You can PM Avijeet and find out. I believe he must have figured the ins and out of his newly bought 3571.
Regds,

Finally got myself a philips 3571 after auditioning and reading the posts from all you "wise & noble ones". I managed to setup the the fronts, center and sub last night and will get the rears done this week. I tested the partial setup using audio CD, mp3s, music DVDs and movie DVDs and am very please with the overall SQ( I especially like the mid range). A few quick observations that I made:

1. The speakers come with a key hole fitting for wall mount. I was expecting a threaded insert which i could use on a ball mount. need to check if there is an adapter for this.

2. The bass was a little overpowering for some of the songs i played. i could not find any audio adjustments for the controlling the sub or individual speaker volumes (I only found the speaker distance adjustment in the setup). If nothing works might need to find a better sub placement

3. As one of the members rightly said, the speaker wires are attached to the speakers at one end and the philips speaker connector at the other. Since i need a speaker wire extension i have no choice but to cut the connector and solder the extra length

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back