Philips DVP 5996 Query

frnd08

Hi! Can anyone having Philips 5996 confirm if it plays 2gb .avi files? some users say that playing large divx files is not possible in 5996. plz confirm.

Hi! Can anyone having Philips 5996 confirm if it plays 2gb .avi files? some users say that playing large divx files is not possible in 5996. plz confirm.

I think it shld as it has usb 2.0.
LG 388 plays it even if it is 1.1(referrence illusion)

Yes, it does. I recently bought one to play all my .avi files in my 250 GB external disk (usb 2.0 I/F). It plays all DivX format, flawless.

It did have a problem of loosing the video, if I change the "setup" during the playback. But, that was resolved after I downloaded and installed the new firmware from philips support web-site.

This player does decode DTS surround as well. I can play my Lord of Rings series in DTS Decrete in 7.1

I don't know about the video quality of up-conversion to 1080p. My AV Receiver (HK-AVR-355) does that for me. So, I don't use that feature and I don't intend to, as well :cool:

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does. I recently bought one to play all my .avi files in my 250 GB external disk (usb 2.0 I/F). It plays all DivX format, flawless.
But, that was resolved after I downloaded and installed the new firmware from philips support web-site.

I can play my Lord of Rings series in DTS Decrete in 7.1

Could you please post the link of dnloading ffirmware?

I do have 2gb+ avi files (Prodji/Unseen, etc) rips, but the player refuses to play them. It plays only when they are split. And please share how did u made ur 250gb hard disk connectable in 5996. I tried mine Seagate 160gb, but it wasnt recognized.

Could you please post the link of dnloading ffirmware?

I do have 2gb+ avi files (Prodji/Unseen, etc) rips, but the player refuses to play them. It plays only when they are split. And please share how did u made ur 250gb hard disk connectable in 5996. I tried mine Seagate 160gb, but it wasnt recognized.

here you go..

Philips Support - DVP5996K/94

one more question. Are you saying that each of your .avi files are > 2 GB? It could be problem with FAT32 driver in the F/W, but, might not have been fixed yet. Try this new one and let me know.

Alright,

I have somewhere read that 5996 can play wmv, for me it says Video codec not supported.

I have got the latest f/w version (31) on my player at the moment.

One of the movies (xvid rip) I tried was not playing properly, it was getting stuck in between with the picture freezed and it seems the sound was also out of sync after a while. I saw a message 'Video GMC not supported' or something at the start of this file.

Rest of the things are perfectly fine.. it upscalses movies wonderfully.. I guess this is the best player available for economy range at the moment..
Not yet tried file > 2GB yet. Shall let you know once I get to test that one.

Last edited:
Guys,

Can anyone tell me the differences between these models?

DVP5996K/51
DVP5996K/93
DVP5996K/94
DVP5996K/96
DVP5996K/98

I was just wondering which one I bought! I'm planning to see if the firmware upgrade is there as I'm not able to see some avi files - WMV never worked, want to see if firmware upgrade can help.

I think it shld as it has usb 2.0.
LG 388 plays it even if it is 1.1(referrence illusion)

Hey hold on there sir. It plays 2 gb avi files only via dvd and not via USB. However if u split using a file splitter into 1 gb files then it plays it beautifully via USB.

Guys,

Can anyone tell me the differences between these models?

DVP5996K/51
DVP5996K/93
DVP5996K/94
DVP5996K/96
DVP5996K/98

I was just wondering which one I bought! I'm planning to see if the firmware upgrade is there as I'm not able to see some avi files - WMV never worked, want to see if firmware upgrade can help.

/xx denotes the region/country where it's sold. I guess 94 is for India

Alright,

I have somewhere read that 5996 can play wmv, for me it says Video codec not supported.

I have got the latest f/w version (31) on my player at the moment.

One of the movies (xvid rip) I tried was not playing properly, it was getting stuck in between with the picture freezed and it seems the sound was also out of sync after a while. I saw a message 'Video GMC not supported' or something at the start of this file.

Rest of the things are perfectly fine.. it upscalses movies wonderfully.. I guess this is the best player available for economy range at the moment..
Not yet tried file > 2GB yet. Shall let you know once I get to test that one.

YES! It does play WMV. I can confirm that. But let me tell you that it doesn't play all the WMV files. Looks like it only plays WMV files with some specifications. The one I played has File Type: ASF (.WMA/.WMV) & 720x540 DAR. Not sure about other formats. Haven't tried them yet.

you are right,

I figured that out later,
I'm on the latest firmware, but still some AVI not playing and no WMV at all!!

the avi that I'm tyring to play is a high res file - around 15 minutes video with file size of 850MB or so.

any 5996 owners can share their views on this?

Hey hold on there sir. It plays 2 gb avi files only via dvd and not via USB. However if u split using a file splitter into 1 gb files then it plays it beautifully via USB.

Which software do you use to split the avi file.? I have a Philips HTS 4750.it stops in the middle of playback when i view a movie bigger than 1 GB using the USB stick.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back