Philips enthusiast here

EwoutBuhler

Hi all, my name is Ewout, I'm from Eindhoven in The Netherlands. Eindhoven is the birthplace of the Philips company. I work for the current Philips in Healthcare, and my hobby is vintage audio and then specifically Philips audio. I collect Philips amplifiers, as long as they are solid state. I have some from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. What is your favorite Philips audio gear?

Welcome to the forum!
Very interesting to hear your connection with Philips!

Grew up listening to full Philips setup at a friends. The sound still haunts me though I have attained the same sound through tubes. However when it comes to right musical listening experience, Philips comes to mind.

Hope to recreate Philips magic through solid state DIY soon…

Hi all, my name is Ewout, I'm from Eindhoven in The Netherlands. Eindhoven is the birthplace of the Philips company. I work for the current Philips in Healthcare, and my hobby is vintage audio and then specifically Philips audio. I collect Philips amplifiers, as long as they are solid state. I have some from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. What is your favorite Philips audio gear?
Welcome to the Forum. We had Phillips cassette player, radio, TV, emergency light, VCD, DVD, Blue ray players and 5.1 speaker system from Phillips when they were No 1 in market like a decade ago. Thanks for your work.

Welcome to the forum Ewout. Philips was one of the most favourite and trusted brand in India in the 70's and 80's concerning electronics after which many other Japanese brands became more conspicuous in the 90's.
Our family had a huge Philips radio in the late 70's with a nice display.
It truly was one of the most innovative companies which put forth certain standards for others to follow. If they make a come back in electronics then it could garner a lot of interest among buyers.
My favourite Philips gear would have been the cd player and amplifier.

Last edited:
The Philips 900 Series was my favorite. I was fortunate to see the entire stack at a dealer in Bangalore, India. Inaccessible to most and more so if you were trying to buy in India. They were very expensive.

Other than the 900 series, I don't think the Audio gear we got in India were all that good. Mostly Low Fi to borderline Mid Fi. The Powerhouse series had this strange premature ageing issue. They were good when new and things started to fall apart rather fast as you used the equipment. None of them really lasted. I have my doubts if they even used Philips drivers.

my hobby is vintage audio and then specifically Philips audio.
Collecting Vintage Electronics of PHILIPS Eindhoven, will never be completed without their luxury, world class Bi-Ampli tube radios & Radiograms. Since you are in Netherlands, it'll be easy to get finely used things. Please try. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.I have been a great fan of philips and had the privilege of having a valve radio,clock radio,hi-Q international stereo,Philivision TV,Electric shaver.All class.I wish they were still available.

Just picked up a GA-202, need some work but it is very good looking and heavy duty. I can’t find an English service manual anywhere.

Also, WTH kind of plug is in the back of these lol also, can’t find. Probably have to change it out. It’s a vertical and horiztonle pin, no ground.

Welcome to the forum.
Philips use to sell DIY speaker kits in the mid 80s with full built diagram and crossover schematics. They also had a complete 200 pages book on building hifi speakers. This is where my DIY speaker building hobby took birth almost 36 years ago.

Welcome, I have two Philips transistors. Both are in running condition. Among hifi gears, I have 900 series along with hiq international & DVD player. Philips Infraray lamp is an excellent device. I love Philips equipments.

Philips happened to be a common household name in india in 60's, 70's and 80's. In my childhood back in 70's we had a philips radio in our house. Later I bought philips hi q international record player and also a dvd player with a nice pair of active speakers. Besides this i have two philips transistors. Except that radio which was regarded as a family heirloom all the rigs have been with me and giving services till date.
Regards

What a great brand Philips was in the world of Audio. It's a pity that they aren't into audio gear anymore.

I started my world of audio with a Philips Radio Recorder 22RR482 and All Transistor Radio L3X25T/00, both given to me by my father in the late 1970s. As a young boy in those times, I was often intrigued by the complexities of Philips radio, amplifier and cassette tape recorder circuits when compared to regular ones. I often believed that Philips sounded better as the circuits were more complicated.

1703005360704.png1703005448724.png
our Neighbour had the famous Philips 22RH580 amplifier and matching 22RH481 speakers and although a small low-power amplifier, it could be heard across our neighbourhood, all day long, especially during Christmas time when music used to play all day long. It was a very high-quality amplifier and we later built a cone of it using AD161/AD162 power transistors. Great memories!
Philips_RH-580-690-Prospekt-1972.jpg

Welcome. Nice to hear of your interest in Philips. I have owned, over the years, starting 1972, various Philips equipment, mostly their tts amps and speakers. Even now I have three ceramic tts, one GA 242, which, to me, always sounded better than than the F7213 which was with me from 1983 to 1990. I also owned the RH 481 speakers, above. These were purchased for a then princely sum of ₹165 from Rhythm Corner (now closed), South Extension, New Delhi, again in 1972. The ply frame rotted over the years, but I kept the grills carefully! Am now trying to restore a Philips Hi Q speaker, the later model with a brown stretched grill cloth with a sealed enclosure. Enjoy your hobby. All early Philips had one thing in common: nice sound.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back