Philips HTS compare HTS3366 and HTS3571

srinivasr

Hi People,

This Diwali I am planning of buying a Home Theater System, Let me tell you about where it would be used and for what purpose.
I have a living room in L shape, the rectangular area usable for Home Theater would be 10x14 feet, I want to use it for Music as well as for movies (say 60:40). Initially I thought would go for a receiver (ONKYO 3100/3200) or Yamaha YHT-195/ YHT365 or Yamaha Rx V463 receiver with initial speakers like NSP60, and buy a seperate DVD for these systems.

But in practicality I would mostly be using mp3/avi format for my daily dose of music/movies, only rarely I think would be listening to my collection of original CD/DVDs, as mp3/avi have a advantage of easy storage and downloads(thanks to torrents).

Even if I go with the best DVD to play a movie, the DVD player is the loose link between my DVD(best) - Player - Receiver(best) - Speakers(best).
Considering my room area and after extensive demos of phillips HTS, I dont think there is be major difference in sound quality/price between Phillips (18k) and Onkyo (3100 -22k)/(3200 - 25k) or Yamaha (25k + 8k) + a dvd player. If I go for a better DVD player the budget would shoot up considerably.

So convinced my self not to spend so much and rather go for a HTiB like Philips or Sony which save me a lot of hard earned money with almost similar pleasure.

I compared Sony and Philips, in case of Sony I could not demo it in a separate room setup but with its specs I shortlisted DZ-390K, again sony does not provide their system SNR value.

In case of Philips I did a extensive demo with two of the best models with them , HTS 3366 and HTS 3571, wrt price and features both these systems are similar, except the rear speakers are tall standing(3366) and satellite(3571) speakers, also the power output ratings are 600W and 1200W respectively.

difference b/w 3366 and 3571
1) rear skrs - standing vs satellite
2) sub woofer both 8" but size of the box is smaller in 3366 ???will this make an impact??
3) power output 600W vs 1200W

I request all the experts here kindly help me with the decision making, I would like to know difference between standing speakers (3 speaker + tweeter)x2 and the satallite speakers.

According to the sales guy the standing speakers are capable of handling different frequencies efficiently as the frequency range is split into 3 speakers. I could not differentiate between these systems with sound.

Also the standing speakers look classy, should the 600W difference make any impact for the said room.

Thank you for going through a very long post.

1. What the sales man gave was a little crap. The floor standing speakers in this HTiB is just a design. Both 3366 and 3571 have a single 3" woofers in each speaker. 3366 has a floor standing design and 3571 has wall mount design. Really in HTiB these dont make a difference.

2. The Subs are not 8", they are 6.5". The 3366 is smaller maybe bcos it has an impedance of 6 ohm whereas 3571 the sub impedance is 4 ohms. Again its a design based on the specs.

3. Honestly these dont make much a difference in real time

"I would like to know difference between standing speakers (3 speaker + tweeter)x2 and the satallite speakers."

May be I am getting this wrong or my memory is not good, If i remember correctly, the 3366 floor standing and satellites have only one 3" woofer drive BUT the center has one 2" tweeter and two 2.5" woofer whereas 3571 all the 4 sats and center has a 3" woofer. Did you actually check what you mentioned?

I felt 3366 was marginally better when I listened.

Last edited:
1. What the sales man gave was a little crap. The floor standing speakers in this HTiB is just a design. Both 3366 and 3571 have a single 3" woofers in each speaker. 3366 has a floor standing design and 3571 has wall mount design. Really in HTiB these dont make a difference.

2. The Subs are not 8", they are 6.5". The 3366 is smaller maybe bcos it has an impedance of 6 ohm whereas 3571 the sub impedance is 4 ohms. Again its a design based on the specs.

"I would like to know difference between standing speakers (3 speaker + tweeter)x2 and the satallite speakers."

May be I am getting this wrong or my memory is not good, If i remember correctly, the 3366 floor standing and satellites have only one 3" woofer drive BUT the center has one 2" tweeter and two 2.5" woofer whereas 3571 all the 4 sats and center has a 3" woofer. Did you actually check what you mentioned?

According to specs the sub woofer is 8" in 3571 and 6.5" in 3366
All 4 satellite speakers are same 3" in 3571
but in 3366 the front two are 3" as you said, but the rear tower speakers have 3 speakers each inside(I remember seeing it in the showroom).

While listening to music or movies I did not find any difference in both the models.

Since you have already auditioned the 3366 and liked it, I would suggest that you also audition the 3265. This one is very similar to the 3366 in specs.
Not sure of the Sats in the 3366 but the 3265 Sats have a 2 way system.
The 3265 has an MRP of Rs 14990/- but can be had for under 12K. If you like it, you'll be saving a lot more money as I don't think the difference between it and the 3366 is worth the price difference.

According to specs the sub woofer is 8" in 3571 and 6.5" in 3366
All 4 satellite speakers are same 3" in 3571
but in 3366 the front two are 3" as you said, but the rear tower speakers have 3 speakers each inside(I remember seeing it in the showroom).

While listening to music or movies I did not find any difference in both the models.

Srini, check the specifications here:
Philips - DVD home theater system HTS3371/98 - 5.1/7.1 Home theatres - Home theatre - Sound and vision

Also, I checked the User Manual (to be sure), its not 8" nor does the 3366 have 3 speakers.

3371: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3371_98/hts3371_98_dfu_eng.pdf

3366: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3366_98/hts3366_98_dfu_eng.pdf

If you are really interested, I will go to Arena this weekend and check for you :)

All these specs dont matter Srini, take u r Fav DVDs and audition them and pick the ones you like the best.

All depends upon the space u have, Go for 3366 if u have space for FS.. FS with 3366 r only for show. Basically they r Satelite. As MBR said drivers r same. I would say go with 3571, it packs a punch with better woofer. Don't go with Sony, they r overpricrd and Philips outdoes them in performance. I have recently bought 3571 after auditioning all these. I got it for 15.2K.

Hi,

I am not into electrical domain however I want to understand what difference does it make when sub runs at 3ohm impedance for philips and 6 ohm for onkyo and even higher for other models...

then there is active vs passive thing as well as a differentiator. I am also not a big fan of htib that has dvd plugged in as part of avr which adds to lot of breakdown risk and upgrade issue.

Sony or philips or lg or samsung... all shud be avoided unless u r on a very very tight budget. No offences to anyone though just a personal perspective.

Thanks.

Srini, check the specifications here:
Philips - DVD home theater system HTS3371/98 - 5.1/7.1 Home theatres - Home theatre - Sound and vision

Also, I checked the User Manual (to be sure), its not 8" nor does the 3366 have 3 speakers.

3371: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3371_98/hts3371_98_dfu_eng.pdf

3366: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3366_98/hts3366_98_dfu_eng.pdf

If you are really interested, I will go to Arena this weekend and check for you :)

All these specs dont matter Srini, take u r Fav DVDs and audition them and pick the ones you like the best.

Hey so sweet of you, going out of way to help people, I have more or less made a decision now, with my wiffy choosing the 3366 over 3571 because of looks; I am ok with that as sound effect wise both are similar.

hey can I ask for one more favour, what is the best price for 3366,
In Bangalore

Girias - says do not have stock (I was told this is a old model) but this guy has 3571 at 16k

Philips Arena - 3366 for 7200/- 3571 for 7500/-

Adishwar - 3366 for 16990/- (over phone) best price when I meet the manager in person(might meet him today).

Unilet - 3366 - 17k (need to again meet in person for a good bargain)

Hey so sweet of you, going out of way to help people, I have more or less made a decision now, with my wiffy choosing the 3366 over 3571 because of looks; I am ok with that as sound effect wise both are similar.

hey can I ask for one more favour, what is the best price for 3366,
In Bangalore

Girias - says do not have stock (I was told this is a old model) but this guy has 3571 at 16k

Philips Arena - 3366 for 7200/- 3571 for 7500/-

Adishwar - 3366 for 16990/- (over phone) best price when I meet the manager in person(might meet him today).

Unilet - 3366 - 17k (need to again meet in person for a good bargain)

Most welcome Srini, I help you, you help someone, its a cycle of good deeds :thumbsup:

The best price yogesh has already posted in the price thread. Check and bargain with eZone for the same. Arena usually does not offer good price compared to retail vendors

Hi I am a newbie here. I was reading the posts and the information available here is fantastic. I have one doubt regarding Philips3366.
Srinivasr wrote that he would be playing movies from USB. Philips 3366 as per the site, has got MPEG4 playing capability. Will it play HD movie files? Like Planet earth in .mkv or avi format compressed using .H264? It can upscale movies to 1080p definition, but will it be able to play 1080p files?
Any other AVR is capable of playing these files?

Hi I am a newbie here. I was reading the posts and the information available here is fantastic. I have one doubt regarding Philips3366.
Srinivasr wrote that he would be playing movies from USB. Philips 3366 as per the site, has got MPEG4 playing capability. Will it play HD movie files? Like Planet earth in .mkv or avi format compressed using .H264? It can upscale movies to 1080p definition, but will it be able to play 1080p files?

Have you checked their FAQ? Your Q may be answered there. If not, then email them your question. They promise to answer in 24 hours.

Nope, it will play DivX in MPEG not HD or mkv or avi with h.264. Its a DivX certified player thats all...

Finally bought 3366, the system is simply amazing, I always had this in mind that the system would not be as good as it sounds in the demo room, but the system is a master piece.

The up scaling is amazing, I played a downloaded avi file the picture quality on a 32" LCD is very good, I got this THX_DST_Dolby demo CD to test/demo my system, the sound output is amazing. I recommend you download this iso file for your HT demo.

the philips arena guy had a very good demo CD, and also the ezone guy thinking of asking them if they can share the CD.

what kind of trailers/demo DVDs you people use to show off your systems ?

yes you cant play mkv files, its a divX player, you can connect your harddisk to the player like any other usb thumb drive only thing is the hard disk should be formatted in FAT32.

thanks to Philips Arena Jayanagar for a very detailed demo, they have a good HT setup for demo, sad I did not buy from them due to huge price difference.

I thank all who made my decision simple.

where can I find these kind of DVDs ? are these demo CDs for sale in bangalore ?? :sad:

I read a discussion thread in this forum, I think they are not for sale, hope some one would share his collection :sad:

where can I find these kind of DVDs ? are these demo CDs for sale in bangalore ?? :sad:

I read a discussion thread in this forum, I think they are not for sale, hope some one would share his collection :sad:

Not for sale in India at least, you have to download from Torrents, there is a good thread on it do read

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back